A Few Questions About Transitioning From the Navy

Hi everyone,

I'm currently an active duty Navy FA-18F pilot, a little more than 2/3 of the way through my first sea tour (first ops tour, in your parlance). Lately, I've started to think about some potential options for further down the road and one thing I'm giving some thought to is a transition to the Guard or Air Force Reserves. I've got a few questions on that process.

My first concern has to do with the Air Force flight physical. By Navy standards, I'm color-normal. In other words, I can pass a FALANT test (aka Optec 9000, I think?) no problem. The PIP tests, not so much. I understand that the USAF does not accept or even possess FALANT machines for color vision testing. Is this a show-stopper? I've done some studying of the Air Force waiver guide, and - although my understanding of the AF medical terminology is a bit hazy - I think a color deficiency is waiverable for a "trained pilot," which I assume would include me, and that an evaluation of the aircrew's ability to operate with a new set of cockpit displays is recommended. I'm not worried about that at all - I've never had any problems relating to vision, color or otherwise, in my flying career. But do I understand the waiverability of the condition correctly? And is such a waiver difficult to get approved?

Second, I've looked over the "Gold Wings to Silver Wings" transition gouge on here (can't remember exactly how it's titled) and it seems like a lot of great information but a bit outdated and specific to traditional reservists. I think I'd be most interested in an AGR position - that's how you guys refer to most full-time positions in the Air Force Reserves, right? Is there any newer source of information or one that is tailored to someone interested in a full-time job?

Lastly, I understand that most units hire their full-time pilots from within - guys that are already part-time. So I realize there's a strong likelihood of having to go that route first. What I'm wondering is how a pilot fresh out of UPT supports themself as a part-time reservist - I may need to learn some things from them. I suppose I could always pursue an airline position at the same time, but the truth is I have little interest in that business. And I think that would be viewed as a strength by a potential squadron - I have no intention to use the Reserves or Guard as a short-term supplemental income until I can make bigger money flying as a civilian, I just want to be able to choose where I live, stay there, and keep flying fighters, preferably in a unit that allows me the opportunity to do so in combat again.

Thanks in advance for any light anyone might be able to shed on this for me!

What I'm wondering is how a pilot fresh out of UPT supports themself as a part-time reservist

Seasoning…full time work/pay while you get some experience…then i guess either go back to selling shoes at walmart or try to get a full time gig.

I'm not worried about that at all - I've never had any problems relating to vision, color or otherwise, in my flying career. But do I understand the waiverability of the condition correctly? And is such a waiver difficult to get approved?

I would be worried - my guess is it's a huge hit against you needing a waiver to even get your package approved. I can't imagine them being low on apps - so why bother with yours? Just a guess…but I would worry and make some friends at the unit. You do have a unit lined up? I'm pretty sure this isn't just going to fall together on it's own...

I think I'd be most interested in an AGR position - that's how you guys refer to most full-time positions in the Air Force Reserves, right?

I just want to be able to choose where I live, stay there, and keep flying fighters, preferably in a unit that allows me the opportunity to do so in combat again.

Yea…you and everyone else on active duty buddy. I also remain interested in gold bricks, free booze and fast cars…don't discount the other 10,000 dudes drooling over those jobs.

Lastly, I understand that most units hire their full-time pilots from within - guys that are already part-time. So I realize there's a strong likelihood of having to go that route first.

Checks big time

a little more than 2/3 of the way through my first sea tour (first ops tour, in your parlance).

Navy doesn't have a commitment like the USAF? Seems early to let you bail…by the way, email me and i'll swap with you any day of the week.

I didn't say I'm not worried about the waiver or package getting approved - what I'm not worried about is jumping into a different cockpit and thinking, "Holy shit, there are so many different colors than in the Super Hornet! My poor ability to pick hidden numbers out of a watercolor painting causes me to have no situational awareness! Damn you Air Force and your radically different use of colors in fighter cockpit displays!"

I have several years left on my commitment, I'm just wondering whether it's worth seeking out connections and pursuing these options or if I'm wasting my time. I have a unit in mind that I would be interested in. No friends there yet, but I would certainly plan on getting to know the command before just mailing in an application. I have a shore tour coming up where that will actually be possible for once.

Sorry I don't really have any idea what the mindset of the typical reservist is, whether people want the full-time jobs or they just want to go to greener, more civilian pastures. In the Navy, the reserve side is a mystery to those of us on the AD side. You really don't learn anything about it until you try to go that route, as you can't go directly into being a reservist aviator and we have no operational reserve fighter squadrons.

As for trading places...I'm gonna guess you've probably never spent 9 months living on a boat, nor going through the painful work-up process that leads up to it. The flying is pretty awesome, and I'm grateful to the Navy for the opportunity to live my dream, but I'm not sure I want to do it forever. I just want to know what other options are out there.

At my last ANG unit, we had prior F-18 Marine, F-18 Navy, Navy F-14, and Navy A-6 guys. So yes, it is possible. I can't speak to the medical side. You need to read through all of the pages (probably an 8-10 hour investment) about getting hired by ANG/AFRC units; you are in effect no different than an active duty USAF guy looking for a guard job. You won't sit in on a UPT board...you would likely interview-and compete-with guys coming off of active duty. (Again, reading the threads you will see that Palace Chase is going strong right now so the amount of guys trying to get hired at ANG/AFRC units is high.) As far as AGR, it was basically policy at my last unit to laugh someone who mentioned just jumping on board to AGR right out of the room. If you want to get to the ANG/AFRC, don't even mention that until you are at the unit, as a part-time, kicking ass, going on every TDY/deployment, and being a world class SNACKO regardless of rank. Good luck.....it is indeed possible.

It is platform and location dependent as well as your time in service. There are Navy guys who get hired at ANG units, I wouldn't say "all the time" but it happens. The thing you have to fight is that you don't know the jet, terminology or any of the guys in the squadron and you aren't current/qual'd in the jet. For the Eagle, it's at least a year wait right now if we hire someone that needs a short transition course (re-qual back to the jet for someone that's currently teaching UPT for example). Guys that need the long course could be waiting longer than that. Add that to the thought of being a part-time major/O-4 wingman and a lot of applicants (and units) just feel it's a bridge too far. Those that don't keep pressing. First things first - find a unit or three that you like/want to live near and start rushing. Good luck.

It is platform and location dependent as well as your time in service. There are Navy guys who get hired at ANG units, I wouldn't say "all the time" but it happens. The thing you have to fight is that you don't know the jet, terminology or any of the guys in the squadron and you aren't current/qual'd in the jet. For the Eagle, it's at least a year wait right now if we hire someone that needs a short transition course (re-qual back to the jet for someone that's currently teaching UPT for example). Guys that need the long course could be waiting longer than that. Add that to the thought of being a part-time major/O-4 wingman and a lot of applicants (and units) just feel it's a bridge too far. Those that don't keep pressing. First things first - find a unit or three that you like/want to live near and start rushing. Good luck.

Honestly, how are units viewing inter service guys, even in fighters? Do they still need to go to IFF just to check the blocks prior to RTU? Seems like a bridge to far these days unless you know somebody.

Honestly, how are units viewing inter service guys, even in fighters? Do they still need to go to IFF just to check the blocks prior to RTU? Seems like a bridge to far these days unless you know somebody.

I've never heard of that. Most Navy guys do an interservice transfer (which can take up to a year), have their quals translated (SERE, water survival, fuge, wings, etc.), go through a tx-1, and show up for MQT.

I've never heard of that. Most Navy guys do an interservice transfer (which can take up to a year), have their quals translated (SERE, water survival, fuge, wings, etc.), go through a tx-1, and show up for MQT.

Yup