Sim IP and Reserve IP

I did some searching, but no avail. I'm looking into the possibility of being a sim IP (GS-12 position) as well as a TR at a UPT base. For those of you that have done both, any pros and cons? Recommendations? Things you liked/didn't like? Would the pay be better, equal or worse than what I currently earn?

I did some searching, but no avail. I'm looking into the possibility of being a sim IP (GS-12 position) as well as a TR at a UPT base. For those of you that have done both, any pros and cons? Recommendations? Things you liked/didn't like? Would the pay be better, equal or worse than what I currently earn?

Well I don't know Bob, how much do you make currently?

If you're currently active duty and an O-4 or higher, then not. even. close. For your SA the GS-12 step 1 gig without SSR or special locality pay (i.e. just the basic locality pay of 15%) is basically a 68K job, of which 100% of it is taxable. A TR gig assuming min running (48 UTA 48 TP and 15 AT) for an O-3 is around 25K gross. So 93K gross where pretty much all of it except the portion of AT that is BAH (and type II at that) is taxable. Also remember that thanks to those asshole "raise the ladder below me" baby boomers, the pension contribution as a GS went up to 4.4% of your check versus the previous 0.8% for the same retirement benefit. Oh and as a GS you are disqualified from enrolling in TRS (Tricare reserve select) instead being opted for FEHB, which offers more expensive civilian plans that cover less. Yeah buddy. bottom line? AD junior O-3 takes home more than you and a junior O-3 doesn't gross anywhere near 95K.

It's an ok living, aside from living in UPT locations, but it's at least a 15-20K/yr paycut from active duty money when accounting for taxable differences. O-4 and above delta? it's off the charts.

WTF would you want to do such a despondent thing as a young person though? That's the one question I have for you. I'll give you this, it's an easy transition gig to attain as someone just separating/getting kicked out while in his/her white jet tour, but it's something that's not particularly desirable or sought after amongst young people who feel they have options. The opportunity cost of homesteading in a upt locale as a civilian/TR is just horrendous for QOL, for the majority of people. At least in AD they parole you after 4. I'm the last guy looking for an airline job right now, but if simming as a civilian in DelEnimbus was my only alternative, I'd be chasing airline dreams so hard it'd make my wife's head spin. Actually, I know what I'd be doing, because I was doing it 5 years ago...Straight up troughing with no civilian job. It's not as much money as sim/tr combo but at least I don't want to gouge my eyeballs out for 8 hours everyday.

The obvious upside is of course, colocated civilian and mil gigs, which can only otherwise be attained if you were an ART or a defense contractor whose contract happens to be colocated in your TR base. The other upside is that the job is monkey stupid easy, but it is boring and in equally crappy location. No way I'd stick my family in these crapholes for straight GS-12 money. That's me though.

Sim jobs are decent for retirement money. For family raising or "prospering as a 30-something" money, you'd be leaving a lot of income and QOL on the table by pursuing such a thing. But hey, your life.Good luck to you.

Edited by hindsight2020

Good post and good summary of the difference between the ART/technicians taxable money vs all the benefits of AD pay. We were talking the other day, and we guestimated that you would have to make $130K or more in a straight civilian job to make what an active duty O-4 pulls in most of the country.

Isn't an instructor pilot on the GS scale usually a GS-13 as opposed to a GS-12? Also, I think the operational units have some kind of percentage bump in their pay because they are aircrew. Something like 10 or 20%. Either way, the GS-13 major IP in the unit is getting killed, pay wise, by the active duty captains.

Isn't an instructor pilot on the GS scale usually a GS-13 as opposed to a GS-12? Also, I think the operational units have some kind of percentage bump in their pay because they are aircrew. Something like 10 or 20%. Either way, the GS-13 major IP in the unit is getting killed, pay wise, by the active duty captains.

30%...here are the pay tables with the applicable pay bump. Add an additional 25-30K/yr for Guard pay. Given the choice, AGR all the way...but a GS job is better than no job.

http://apps.opm.gov/SpecialRates/2014/Table055801012014.aspx

Edited by SocialD