Sign in to follow this  
Vice

Two years of college completed; possible to attend FT by Summer 2015?

Finally got into a university after slugging through two years of community college (consqequences of goofing off during high school).

Here's my question: is it possible to go to FT by Summer 2015 if I take AS100 and AS200 in tandem during Fall 2014 (I'd take it during Summer 2014 but I don't think it's offered.) and then do AS300 on Spring 2015? I'm prior enlisted. I'd bring it up with the detatchment but their orientation isn't until next month.

Thank you.

It's possible to get a slot to FT next summer in just a year. You'd have to go in as an AS250 and spend Fall and Spring taking the AS100 and AS200 classes then put in a package for an EA for FT next summer. As far as I know, you can't do any POC AS300 and AS400 stuff until you graduate from FT. I'm a 250 competing for an EA right now so I can answer any questions you might have.

There have been some kick ass 250s at my det that did it, so anything is possible. You're prior enlisted so you are already ahead of the game. But as 172 said you can't take AS300 while you're a GMC. You need a minimum of 2 years of school left when you get back from FT, will that be an issue?

There have been some kick ass 250s at my det that did it, so anything is possible. You're prior enlisted so you are already ahead of the game. But as 172 said you can't take AS300 while you're a GMC. You need a minimum of 2 years of school left when you get back from FT, will that be an issue?

That shouldn't be an issue, I'll work with the admissons people and the detachment to get everything sorted out.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Wanted to post an update since I've straightened everything out for any guys in the future:

- It IS possible to complete AFROTC if you have already completed two years of school.

- However, AFROTC stipulates that you need to attend the program for a minumum of three years. Source: May 2014 AFROTC information breifing

- AFROTC also stipulates that you go to school FULL TIME (12 credit hours or more per semester) during those three years. Source: May 2014 AFROTC information breifing

- Apparently you are allowed one "off" semester where you can have less than 12 credit hours; source is another cadet, haven't been able to verify this through cadre/AF pubs.

- It may require you to take on a minor, or creatively shuffle some classes around so you can meet the full time requirements.

This was a while ago, but I think there was a guy who commissioned a couple years ahead of me who started in AFROTC as a Junior. He did a two-year Master's degree, so ended up doing the standard 4-year AFROTC course, just while doing his Junior and Senior year, then two years of grad work.

You can only be <12 units in your spring semester of your senior year without repercussions. It is not interchangeable with any other semester.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by CDAWG

I started ROTC as a junior and graduated in 4 1/2 years, but that was when FTAP was an option. Not sure if it will be possible to be done in less than the 5 year plan, but i can tell you going in as a 250 is not a disadvantage, just takes a good attitude and willingness to learn from the cadets who have that extra year on you

Depending on how long you have been enlisted, you could probably waive the 100 year and maybe the 200 year. You should set up a meeting with someone from the det over the summer, I'm sure they'd be willing to help.

My det didn't allow this.

The 100 and 200 year classes has some great concepts that I learned from, plus they were great for my GPA despite being one credit hour courses.

Plus it gave me an opportunity to interact with the cadre as well as my peers.

Edited by Vice