Let's bitch about the BX here!

Went into the BX for the first time in a few years today looking for a mouse for my laptop. I was quickly reminded why I avoid the place like the plague.

The selection is godawful.

The prices are typically 25-50% HIGHER than other retailers. Sony X65 headphones? $30 on Amazon and Walmart. Yours for only $80 at your local BX!

Microsoft Military Appreciation Touch Mouse? $50 at the BX. $40 online.

3 year old PS3 games? 50% off at $25 at your BX or you could go to the mart or GameStop and get it for 5-$10.

Cool speakers for your obsolete iPhone 3? Of course they are on clearance, at $50!

Clothing selection is amazing. You can always find a sweet Affliction shirt with a foil dragon on it or some sweet South Pole jeans!

All the candy your heart desires. And shave bump cream!

And this is supposed to be a benefit? Poor old retirees think their getting a deal.

Edited by Altus Barbarosa
  • Downvote 4

You do realize they price match? No sales tax. Amazon is almost always the cheapest option, but if you don't want to wait for shipping the BX can be a good deal. They also occasionally offer good promotions: Xmas 2012 if you spent 1k on a mil star card you got a $200 gift certificate, they recently had a deal where you got a $100 card with purchase of an ipad or $50 with a mini, etc.

You realize that a lot if young Enlisted troops use the BX to shop it since they don't have cars, and sometimes the Walmart, Target, whatever off base is too far away to walk to.

Huh here at Offutt the young Enlisted Amn are across the flight line from the BX. It is strangely located near STRATCOM, and even nearer the Billion dollare new STRATCOM.

Edited by 17D_guy

Meh, accessibility, which varies greatly from base to base, is no excuse for price gouging. Yeah, they price match. If you bring an ad in from a local retailer who has the item in stock. Who the f still gets newspapers and reads the ads anyway? Definitely not the young guys in the dorms. Also the last 3 assignments I've had the BX has been across base from the dorms near the housing area, where everyone has cars.

Don't get me started on compulsory tipping at the goddamn commissary. Nothing like watching an 80yr old lady try to load my groceries in the car.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Don't get me started on compulsory tipping at the goddamn commissary. Nothing like watching an 80yr old lady try to load my groceries in the car.

Huh, most of the time I get teenagers who're happy to have the job. I prefer it to the ole' "pack your own shit and get out now" that most of the other stores are converting to.

Meh, accessibility, which varies greatly from base to base, is no excuse for price gouging. Yeah, they price match. If you bring an ad in from a local retailer who has the item in stock. Who the f still gets newspapers and reads the ads anyway? Definitely not the young guys in the dorms. Also the last 3 assignments I've had the BX has been across base from the dorms near the housing area, where everyone has cars.

Just get out, that way you will lose all your privileges...it's a double win!

Haven't stepped foot into the BX in a couple years. I would have a list of things I needed and the BX would not have them but, oddly enough, the items were always allegedly on a truck arriving on next Tuesday.

This happened to me. On a Tuesday. Afternoon. I said, "Great, what time does the truck usually come, maybe I'll just wait". Answer, "Uhhh,.... or it could be on the truck that is coming Thursday."

Nobody is forcing you to drop a couple bucks on a tip, ya' cheap asshole.

• Upvote 3

I shelf check the BX here at misawa at least once a week. It keeps my 900 sq ft apt filled with stuff that would cost twice as much outside the gate. Plus the Koreans come to town every now and then with a deal I can't refuse. It's no costco, but one of my favorite stores.

Went into the BX for the first time in a few years today looking for a mouse for my laptop. I was quickly reminded why I avoid the place like the plague.

The selection is godawful.

The prices are typically 25-50% HIGHER than other retailers. Sony X65 headphones? $30 on Amazon and Walmart. Yours for only $80 at your local BX!

Microsoft Military Appreciation Touch Mouse? $50 at the BX. $40 online.

3 year old PS3 games? 50% off at $25 at your BX or you could go to the mart or GameStop and get it for 5-$10.

Cool speakers for your obsolete iPhone 3? Of course they are on clearance, at $50!

Clothing selection is amazing. You can always find a sweet Affliction shirt with a foil dragon on it or some sweet South Pole jeans!

All the candy your heart desires. And shave bump cream!

And this is supposed to be a benefit? Poor old retirees think their getting a deal.

Good lord. Do they have a good price on tampons? You need some.

• Upvote 7

The BX could be a lot better. If anybody's been to a NEX or MCX, you will see what the BX should be.

Most of this time, I'd agree with you. But there are a handful done correctly I think. I'd shop at the Eglin BX way before I'd go to the Pensacola NEX (even assuming distance wasn't a factor).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Vance BX is alright just because you can buy cold beer that's more than 3.2% there, or any alcohol period on Sunday. That's more of a con for OK's ridiculous booze laws than a pro for the BX though I guess.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

Edited by spaceman

The BX could be a lot better. If anybody's been to a NEX or MCX, you will see what the BX should be.

I submit BX vs NEX food courts as evidence of how the BX could emulate to improve.

BX = Taco Bell, Charleys, and (if you're lucky) a Blimpie

NEX = Five Guys, Rubios, and Panda Express

Of course, they both sometimes have Subways

Most of this time, I'd agree with you. But there are a handful done correctly I think. I'd shop at the Eglin BX way before I'd go to the Pensacola NEX (even assuming distance wasn't a factor).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was just at Eglin last week, other than the Barrett MRAD in .338 Lapua for six grand, I didn't see much that interested me...

The biggest NEX I've been to is the one at Pearl. It's full of overpriced Hawaiian shirts. Nothing too special there either.

Still, having been subjected to having to shop at the BX during overseas assignments, I have a special fondness for the place. I've found some great deals there over the years, most recently some sweet Reebok ATV19s in black for under thirty bucks at Offutt a couple of weeks back!

reebok-atv-19-black.jpg

Yeah, you really have to go in there armed with the outside civilian price on things like electronics, shoes, and other big ticket items. Hit or miss if they are cheapest.

Overseas Exchanges are still a usually good deal compared to the local economy, especially if you need some "American" stuff, like snacks with at least 45 different ingredients in them, etc.