365 information and TTPs

discus

Dudes,

Just got picked up for a 365 to Asscrackastan as a "Force Management Advisor". The RIP my commander handed me has no information other than an AFSC, date, and general location. (Afghanistan) Further information discovered that I would be an air advisor at Kabul, and some sort of Air advisor course at McGuire. Anyone done this before that can shed some light on the job?

I have not signed the paperwork yet. Any tips from those who have been there as to potential "gotchas", or possible ways to leverage this into an assignment preference?

Additionally, I have no clue of this will affect my gates or flight pay. Pretty much working in a vacuum here to make a decision.

additional info: 18.5 year prior E, '05 year group. 12R, and assignment is for 12G

Edit: If there is information that should not be discussed on a public forum, please PM for a .mil or even a SIPR addy.

Edited by discus

I had a 365 from '08-'09. The only gotacha I know of is moving your family at the government's expense during your year gone (which I did, and which they will offer you). That automatically bars you from getting a follow-on, no exceptions (no matter how much sense it makes to PCS you somewhere else).

PM sent. Follow-ons were highly dependent on who your assignment functional is. In my case, there weren't very many KC-135 guys in country on 365s, so it was easy to get to the top of the assignment stack, though I think technically they don't have to give you an assignment preference if you were voluntold. Moving the family at gov expense ended sometime while I was deployed in 2012 I believe.

There are worse places to live in Afghanistan than Kabul. Of course, I'd opt out if they ever tried to send me back there again.