AFPC ends Rip-its at downrange locations

Fuzz

http://www.airforcetimes.com/article/20140314/NEWS/303150031/Energy-drinks-in-downrange-DFACs

Don't worry guys, while AFPC was dicking up the FM programs they managed to discontinue Rip-Its downrange, probably came up with the idea while they were judging that AF-wide BBQ competition.

Edited by Fuzz

Rip-it stockpiling begins in 3, 2, 1...

There is going to be a lot of jittery, caffeine-deprived people running (and flying) around all of the bases in CENTCOM. Green Beans will be the real winner in all of this.

It's all good though, because according to Col Oh all we need is to eat healthy, exercise, and get 7 hours of sleep a night.

I know at KAF I never had any problems with accomplishing those, between eating nothing but mermites for months on end, working 14 hours a day at a minimum, and getting woken up by the occasional rocket attack.

• Upvote 1

http://www.airforcetimes.com/article/20140314/NEWS/303150031/Energy-drinks-in-downrange-DFACs

Don't worry guys, while AFPC was dicking up the FM programs they managed to discontinue Rip-Its downrange, probably came up with the idea while they were judging that AF-wide BBQ competition.

And in Afghanistan the price of a black market Rip-It just surpassed the price of Helmand's finest opium.

• Upvote 4

Last I knew, a counseling session and a signed MFR from the Sq/CC were required to obtain sleep aids at one C-17 deployed location. This was due to some identified abuses by certain individuals in a sister squadron. It was easier to sleep like shit and get jacked up on Rip-Its during the mission than to get the Ambien for a good night sleep.

I hope crews start racking up the ORM points into the high range due to lack of readily available caffeine sources.

Am I the only one that doesn't understand why the Air Force Personnel Center is dictating policy to the Air Force Food and Beverage Section on behalf of the Air Force Medical Support Agency?

That article tells people what they need to know. Are we sure that this isn't about money, disguised as concern? That wouldn't happen after that email on the core values...never mind.

All I know is they're right, I'll buy my own...until they get the BX to pull them too. THEN I'll be ready for the VSP.

Bendy

Rip Its have contributed more to operational safety in MAF aircraft than reflective belts, gloves, nomex and iPads combined. I keep two in the deep pocket of my backpack, like go-pills. Sometimes you just can't sleep, even with ambien, and you need some caffeine 8 hours into a flight. Is it the healthiest way to live in the desert? Nope, but sometimes it's too late to live healthy.

That said, it'll be the maintainers who will be pushed over the edge.

• Upvote 4

Rip Its have contributed more to operational safety in MAF aircraft than reflective belts, gloves, nomex and iPads combined. I keep two in the deep pocket of my backpack, like go-pills. Sometimes you just can't sleep, even with ambien, and you need some caffeine 8 hours into a flight. Is it the healthiest way to live in the desert? Nope, but sometimes it's too late to live healthy.

That said, it'll be the maintainers who will be pushed over the edge.

Truth

How does AFPC have the authority to order AFCENT to do anything? This policy was clearly written by a bunch of desk jockeys who have never deployed. During my last excursion to AFG I was working 18-20 hour shifts and lucky to get 2 to 4 hours of sleep a night. Soda/coffee/energy drinks were a necessity.

If they were really concerned about health issues they would be focusing on things like burn pits, electric diesel generators next to hooches, filthy (read: not hygienic) TCNs working at the DFACs, etc (but those aren't AFPC's purview IMHO either).

Edited by FBomb
  • Upvote 2

I once had 12 ripits in a six hour period and have lived to tell. That said, it's been two years since I last flew and my Bp is still 160/110.

Who doesn't love the Green Bean MOAC, 2 Rip It's and some DFAC coffee challenge? Making Tac airlift more exciting for everyone involved.

And is anyone really surprised that this is AFPC's focus at this point? After all, this decision was probably made while relaxing in the Burger King and after pushing into effect the "strategic delay" of the FM programs and was loosely based on what they heard from one of their friends who deployed once back a few years ago.

Edited by MountainHerc

Somehow I can see a Rip-It for sex ring being broken up at Bagram in the coming months. 4 Rip-Its for a ZJ.

Wxman

That's waaaaay to cheap for a good Zeej

Edit: Timing

tumblr_n0lcbdYvD01sl21koo1_500.gif

Edited by Hodor

It's all good though, because according to Col Oh all we need is to eat healthy, exercise, and get 7 hours of sleep a night.

I know at KAF I never had any problems with accomplishing those, between eating nothing but mermites for months on end, working 14 hours a day at a minimum, and getting woken up by the occasional rocket attack.

They've forwarded the email to the Taliban to ensure rocket attacks will not interfere with sleep schedules.

In AFG the kids crowded around our MRAPs like they were ice cream trucks to beg for anything we'd be willing to give them (or anything they could steal). Keep in mind that most of these kids are ADHD spoiled brats, who are one of 69 brothers and sisters, with little to no adult supervision or parenting. So they basically run amuck and do whatever they want until an Afghan adult comes along and literally beats them into compliance. Now, imagine a mob of 100 or so kids, all going crazy because Santa Claus has come to town (seriously, most of these kids have never tasted Gatorade or eaten a bag of M&Ms before), and some dick throws them some Rip Its. I remember looking back into that village as we were leaving and seeing columns of smoke raising up from various points around where we had the shurra. Now, it was probably something standard, like the elders were signalling the Taliban we were leaving, but it made me laugh because it painted the mental image that by giving a mob of Afghan kids like 4 or 5 Rip Its, we had caused a mass riot that was destroying the village.

And now Rip Its are gone ::pour one out for my homies::

• Upvote 2

KRFT is up .72% today. Coincidence? I think not.

Crystal-Light-Energy-FREE-Sample-300x300

ETA: And they're dropping the energy bars! I lived off those BAF-issued breakfast bars for weeks. What were they? Kellogg's?

Edited by nunya

Silly question, but seeing as this is just the AF trying to do this . . . BAF and KAF (and the rest of AFG) should pretty much be saying "so what," right?

1. Doesn't the Army run the Dragon, as well as the other DFACs at BAF?

2. Contractor-run facilities at KAF

3. Germans running Mez

4. USMC/UK at Bastion

5. Etc. What am I missing?

“What we’re really trying to do is make sure our service members and airmen are informed consumers and that they are aware of all the potential risks and side effects,” said Col. John Oh

Someone find this guy's email address and "inform" him of the potential risks of doing our jobs while drowsy. Even with a full night's rest some missions can put you to sleep.

Silly question, but seeing as this is just the AF trying to do this . . . BAF and KAF (and the rest of AFG) should pretty much be saying "so what," right?

3. Germans running Mez

4. USMC/UK at Bastion

Your "scenario" isn't as fun to bitch about.

3. Germans running Mez

4. USMC/UK at Bastion

You're missing the "hub" that most of us joke about...which is where I deployed to to fly 14 hour missions.