Dating and the Reserves

I have a question about the Reserves. If I wanted to join the reserves as an officer but I am dating an enlisted NCO how would that workout? Are you really just a civilian when you are not doing your one weekend a month? Could/would she get in trouble? Where she is stationed and where I would do the reserves would not be the same location and possibly in a different state. Please advise....

Edited by aerobat95

It won't be a problem since you were dating prior to joining. It may be a problem if she were in your chain of command when you started dating. Even then they usually just move you around so that you aren't in her chain. Just my opinion from what I saw in my 17 years in the ARC.

ETA: Just re-read and saw that you said you would be in different units. It will be a non-issue

Edited by HerkFE

I've seen a Nav marry a Load and a Pilot marry an FE (both were in the same squadrons together) and nothing happened. Now if you happen to make it to become a FW vice CC (O-6) and are married to a LTC and you you get caught banging a married E ... well things may not work out so well. Of course that is just a hypothetical situation, any similarty to a real life event is purely coincidental.

Edited by HerkFE

So according to the AADC they said that technically I could get in trouble and so could she during the two days of the month I am on active status. She said all it would take is a pissed off ex and we both could be having issues....kinda a bummer. I figured with being on separate bases in different states there wouldn't be any issue....but she is active duty and you how FUBAR the active duty is......

So according to the AADC they said that technically I could get in trouble and so could she during the two days of the month I am on active status. She said all it would take is a pissed off ex and we both could be having issues....kinda a bummer. I figured with being on separate bases in different states there wouldn't be any issue....but she is active duty and you how FUBAR the active duty is......

Don't listen to those lunatics. This is a total non-issue. I could give an endless string of examples of Os and Es dating and getting married in the same unit, let alone different units! For example, a former wing commander who went on to 2 stars is married to the base's (then) command CMSgt.

I've seen a Nav marry a Load and a Pilot marry an FE (both were in the same squadrons together) and nothing happened. Now if you happen to make it to become a FW vice CC (O-6) and are married to a LTC and you you get caught banging a married E ... well things may not work out so well. Of course that is just a hypothetical situation, any similarty to a real life event is purely coincidental.

You must have been at Dyess at the same time I was.

Never at Dyess but I'm sure every place has similar stories, just different names. Well maybe except the Vice CC....that one probably hasn't happened too many times.

ETA: IF the Vice story is true. I can neither confirm nor deny.

For example, a former wing commander who went on to 2 stars is married to the base's (then) command CMSgt.

Was this at WRI ??

Edited by HerkFE