RPA slot wanted Pilot

sloatm

Hi there,

Rated assignments just dropped and I was hoping for a pilot slot however I was picked up for an RPA slot. I was wondering if anyone knew anything about getting moved up into a pilot slot or what the next steps could be to move into the pilot career field. I really wanted a pilot slot so this news sucks however I will not give up. Thanks for any information anyone may have.

You will have to go through RPA training and, from the day you get winged, must serve 2 full years as an RPA pilot. After 2 years you can apply to the rated board and try for pilot, so long as you can serve 2.5 years from the day you are winged to the day you start UPT. Good luck!

Hi there,

Rated assignments just dropped and I was hoping for a pilot slot however I was picked up for an RPA slot. I was wondering if anyone knew anything about getting moved up into a pilot slot or what the next steps could be to move into the pilot career field. I really wanted a pilot slot so this news sucks however I will not give up. Thanks for any information anyone may have.

Where did they drop?

• 2 weeks later...

Did they change the whole process on rated slots? Someone said that now you apply for ALL rated slots and what you get is what you get. Truth?

Haha no. You either misunderstood them or they are just incorrect.

When you fill out the 215, you can check UPT, CSO, RPA, or ABM. You have the option to check as many or few as you want. So a non rated guy might check UPT and CSO (or all 4 if they just wanted some sort of wings). A current CSO would probably only check UPT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haha no. You either misunderstood them or they are just incorrect.

When you fill out the 215, you can check UPT, CSO, RPA, or ABM. You have the option to check as many or few as you want. So a non rated guy might check UPT and CSO (or all 4 if they just wanted some sort of wings). A current CSO would probably only check UPT.

I just got a pilot slot from AFROTC last year and we had to apply for all of them. We preferenced them from 1 to 4, but we couldn't leave them blank. The last board might have been a little different, but the board before that you couldn't not apply for all of the rated jobs.

I see where the confusion is...when you are "applying" from ROTC (and probably the other commissioning sources as well) you must fill out an ordered preference for every option.

However, when applying to the Active Duty Rated Board (ie you are already commissioned), you are NOT required to do so (see my previous explanation).

So blake, after reading your question again, it's rather vague if you are speaking about applying from ROTC or as a commissioned officer trying for a rated spot. Either way, your question should have been answered in some fashion.