Drop Night Booze Question

HeyWatchThis

Tried searching but my search skills failed me...

My class has the opportunity to get a couple of kegs donated to us from a craft brewery in CO for our drop night. Only catch is the club says we have to buy the kegs thru them. Anybody have any experience in negotiating with the club? We don't mind paying to bring it in if possible but the idea of having some great beer (~6-9%) vs Budwater has me doing some research before approaching the club again.....

I'll admit I am a little pissed at the club as well, the prices they are trying to charge for kegs is f'in outrageous (think almost $200 for a keg of bud)......they make roughly $20k every drop so money shouldn't be an issue, I just feel like they are unfairly taking advantage of the whole situation since we are basically required to have drop at the club so they demand monopoly prices......

The idea is also to take the money we save by bringing in the free kegs and purchase more booze for everyone so its a win-win our minds.....

Tell them to fuck off and have your drop somewhere else. There was a class or two that did this when I went through training. They were also told that they were "required" to have it at the club...

Or just nod and agree. Then bring your kegs to the drop night anyway.

Edited by SocialD
  • Upvote 1

I went to a friend's drop at NAS P'Cola and the club told them they were "required" to buy kegs from them. The class paid for their own kegs from an outside place anyways and all that came from it was the head of the club giving them an earful about how the club provides service for the stud's and need the buy in from everyone, blah blah blah

but if it were me, I would find another place just out of principle

Or use them for the pre- and/or after-drop party. We started drinking around noon on the day of our drop in the flight room and I don't quite remember when we stopped. The following Monday morning sounds about right. We had the crew bus take us to the club.

• Upvote 2

Your Sq will also pressure you to use the club and their beer. So, use the club from 4-5pm, tell a few stories, light fare, no one drinks. Then, arrange a "real" celebration somewhere else, or even off post, and enjoy your kegs.

Requirements met, everyone wins.

• Upvote 5

We've run into this a few time arranging squadron events. Like most bars, you can't bring outside booze into the club. However, they can't force you to have an event at the club either...feel free to book another venue.

Since you're a new guy...

1. Ask to see the reg(s)

2. Find the loophole...there's always a loophole

3. Drink delicious craft beer

1. Tell the club to ###### off

2. See 1.

fixed

Your Sq will also pressure you to use the club and their beer.

This is like a flashback to 1986. Where does this actually still happen?

Edited by Bob

I brewed 3 batches of home brew for my drop night. Brought my kegs to the club and had a good time. Bought the cheapest keg from the club to make them happy and had each member of my flight bring a bottle of booze with them. Turned out to be a great night. The club didn't even realize that we'd brought outside liquor/beer in. We told them we'd set up our own chairs and tables. The club staff never even entered the main event room.

Notch the threat dude.

• Upvote 2

The answer I've heard from the club as to why has to do with them controlling the products they serve as a liability. Like say you were to bring a bad keg that made everyone sick, sts, they wouldn't be able to pinpoint the issue due to the "unknown" factor of the craft beer.

The answer I've heard from the club as to why has to do with them controlling the products they serve as a liability. Like say you were to bring a bad keg that made everyone sick, sts, they wouldn't be able to pinpoint the issue due to the "unknown" factor of the craft beer.

:rainbow:

• Upvote 1

Your Sq will also pressure you to use the club and their beer. So, use the club from 4-5pm, tell a few stories, light fare, no one drinks. Then, arrange a "real" celebration somewhere else, or even off post, and enjoy your kegs.

Requirements met, everyone wins.

This. We had similar problems with getting not terrible beer and the club. We were required to use the club and required to purchase a minimum amount of crap (I think some food and a keg or two.) Our class just decided to min run the club festivities and give them as little money as we could and have a get-together after with everything we wanted.

If you attempt to just show up with your own kegs and play the Lt card, it's been my experience that they will take your kegs. They'll feed some line about how you can get them later after the party and never give them back.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

This. We had similar problems with getting not terrible beer and the club. We were required to use the club and required to purchase a minimum amount of crap (I think some food and a keg or two.) Our class just decided to min run the club festivities and give them as little money as we could and have a get-together after with everything we wanted.

If you attempt to just show up with your own kegs and play the Lt card, it's been my experience that they will take your kegs. They'll feed some line about how you can get them later after the party and never give them back.

Geeze, Debbie downer much?

Lol, they steal your shit and force you to give them money. You don't need the club to have a drop party, been my experience that you can do a better shindig by having an after party at someone's house or east berlin or wherever the cool kids hang out these days. Plus you don't have to worry about the Monday morning bleed-over from all of the O-5 and O-6's watching your festivities like a hawk. YMMV

[swerves out of own lane]

Geeze, Debbie downer much?

So what you're saying is... You don't see a problem with an on-base MWR activity confiscating someone's personal property, and then not returning it? Interesting.

[back into my lane]

What is this "craft" beer that everyone has a hard-on for?

"Craft" is defined here. Clif Notes version: less than 6 millions barrels per year brewed, not owned by a larger non-craft brewery, and produced by a brewery that primarily produces beer. Examples include Abita, Rogue and Sierra Nevada. Smaller batch beers produced by larger breweries are unofficially designated "crafty"; examples include Leinenkugel and Blue Moon (both owned by MillerCoors). Here are a couple of articles on the subject.

• Upvote 1

LOL. I know what "a" craft beer is. I was asking what "this" craft beer is they're trying to bring into the club. Poor use of quotes, I guess.

Thanks for the thoughtful explanation though! :beer:

I will have to ask the dude in my flight who has the contact, the brewery is out of CO and I know it isn't Breckenridge..that's all I know right now lol...