2014 ROTC Field training length cut short, thoughts on this?

JBird

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone received word on their EAs yet? I know that in the past the results have typically started being released around this time. Max dates have also been posted for those who were wondering.

MAX

DATES

Max 1

21 May - 13 Jun

Max 2

4 - 27 Jun

Max 3

18 Jun - 11 Jul

Max 4

2 - 25 Jul

Max 5

16 - 8 Aug

If I have my timing right, you were applying for Field Training back when almost everybody went, as long as you met the requirements and had a half-way decent GPA (pre-2009 when the cuts started). Its not the same anymore. Cadets can no longer just skate by anymore and go to FT, we are constantly having to go neck and neck for high commanders rankings and keep up with the ever rising GPA requirements. Scholarships are drying up, opportunities for extra programs like soaring and incentive rides have vanished, and at this rate I bet its only a matter of time before non-tech majors will no longer have a place in ROTC.

Funny... sounds like 2005

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I get where you're coming from, especially regarding AD. But, I'm assuming its been atleast 3-5 years since you've graduated - based on everything I've heard the atmosphere here has changed dramatically since you've been in. If I have my timing right, you were applying for Field Training back when almost everybody went, as long as you met the requirements and had a half-way decent GPA (pre-2009 when the cuts started). Its not the same anymore. Cadets can no longer just skate by anymore and go to FT, we are constantly having to go neck and neck for high commanders rankings and keep up with the ever rising GPA requirements. Scholarships are drying up, opportunities for extra programs like soaring and incentive rides have vanished, and at this rate I bet its only a matter of time before non-tech majors will no longer have a place in ROTC. New GMC are showing up day one being told that the odds are they won't be able to finish the program.

Atleast for me, I'm biased because the amount of work I've had to do just to be able to compete for EA is probably more than most people have to do their entire cadet career. I've fought tooth and nail for half a decade to be where I am today, and I still might not make it through the program. But I'm actually excited for FT, because when I feel like quitting all I have to do is remember how hard I worked to be there.

So, when I say that we've been "fighting hard" of course some people have different experiences than others, but in general its an uphill battle for cadets today.

Yikes.

AFROTC was always kinda heavy on dudes/dudetts who would step over one another to look good in front of the Detachement staff. And this is based on my experince during the days of "Everyone Goes to Field Training." Sounds like a whole other level of BS to put up with now.

Yikes.

AFROTC was always kinda heavy on dudes/dudetts who would step over one another to look good in front of the Detachement staff. And this is based on my experince during the days of "Everyone Goes to Field Training." Sounds like a whole other level of BS to put up with now.

They need to replenish those recently-culled missile squadrons somehow: might as well get them pre-conditioned.

Numbers are out, not good. 60% national selection rate. Best of luck to everyone who applied.

So how does that work? Does that mean that 40% of the AS200's nationwide just got told to turn in their AFROTC stuff and don't bother showing up at the detachment anymore?

So how does that work? Does that mean that 40% of the AS200's nationwide just got told to turn in their AFROTC stuff and don't bother showing up at the detachment anymore?

For some, yes. A small portion (mostly 250s who applied for the first time) will get to try again next year.

7 out of our 19 got cut and three are coming back to try again. The three that are coming back weren't 250s.

Sounds about right, our det lost 40% as well. Based on the numbers people were posting on facebook it seems like almost every det got around 60%. A few got lucky (sts) with more but the highest I saw was 70%. Hopefully the AF does what it typically does in these situations and goes the other way (sts) in 2015 when it realizes it cut too many this year.

FYI our commander is not a fan of AS500s, but he said because it was such a tough year he would let just about everyone who didn't get one come back for another try.