Jump to content
Baseops Forums

Recommended Posts

21 hours ago, N730 said:

@ayz33 no, it’s the weekend after, the 13th-14th.

Did you talk to the board POC to set up your visit?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, ayz33 said:

Did you talk to the board POC to set up your visit?

I’m not sure if it’s required, but I sent an email telling him I’d be coming and asked any questions I had. So I’d definitely reach out. It can’t hurt!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Guy Sanchez

So I posted my video to the 100th fighter squadron and explained why I want to be a fighter pilot, in part because I would rather be in an aircraft that has ejection seats just in case as opposed to being in a cargo aircraft in an emergency that has no ejection seats and everyone goes down with it. I realize now that saying that might not be the best tact and wanted to get your guys' opinions on what I said, won't be saying it on future videos that's for sure!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Guy Sanchez said:

So I posted my video to the 100th fighter squadron and explained why I want to be a fighter pilot, in part because I would rather be in an aircraft that has ejection seats just in case as opposed to being in a cargo aircraft in an emergency that has no ejection seats and everyone goes down with it. I realize now that saying that might not be the best tact and wanted to get your guys' opinions on what I said, won't be saying it on future videos that's for sure!

Probably depends on your tone. If you said it in a kind of funny way I don’t think they’d hold that against you and might like it depending on your delivery. If you were dead serious, maybe not the best idea lol. 

  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Guy Sanchez
12 minutes ago, admdelta said:

Probably depends on your tone. If you said it in a kind of funny way I don’t think they’d hold that against you and might like it depending on your delivery. If you were dead serious, maybe not the best idea lol. 

I'm thinking about deleting the video and rescinding the application so my name and face don't  get tarnished by a stupid decision. Getting old though so this is probably my last Alabama board I can be eligible to apply to. Really kicking myself for doing that I hope it doesn't ruin my chances but gosh damn what was I thinking?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Guy Sanchez said:

I'm thinking about deleting the video and rescinding the application so my name and face don't  get tarnished by a stupid decision. Getting old though so this is probably my last Alabama board I can be eligible to apply to. Really kicking myself for doing that I hope it doesn't ruin my chances but gosh damn what was I thinking?

Don’t do that. Submit an updated application if you have to but rescinding the whole thing isn’t the way to go. Even if you think the video hurts you, it’s not gonna hurt you as bad as having no video or application at all. 

Also if you’re worried about other units out there seeing it, you can change the privacy setting on there from public to “unlisted” so that only people with the link can see it. 

  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Guy Sanchez
21 minutes ago, admdelta said:

Don’t do that. Submit an updated application if you have to but rescinding the whole thing isn’t the way to go. Even if you think the video hurts you, it’s not gonna hurt you as bad as having no video or application at all. 

Also if you’re worried about other units out there seeing it, you can change the privacy setting on there from public to “unlisted” so that only people with the link can see it. 

Don't know if its worth it to get black listed by the whole fighter culture on the ANG though. I already deleted the video so we will see what they say, I don't plan on turning in my application either, was going to do it today but definitely not doing it anymore. It was an expensive mistake and I've learned from it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Guy Sanchez said:

So I posted my video to the 100th fighter squadron and explained why I want to be a fighter pilot, in part because I would rather be in an aircraft that has ejection seats just in case as opposed to being in a cargo aircraft in an emergency that has no ejection seats and everyone goes down with it. I realize now that saying that might not be the best tact and wanted to get your guys' opinions on what I said, won't be saying it on future videos that's for sure!

Can we just make a thread where we all post our terrible videos, watch them, and then make fun of each other over a beer that weekend?

  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, ASE.K said:

Can we just make a thread where we all post our terrible videos, watch them, and then make fun of each other over a beer that weekend?

Haha, I'm down! @ASE.K

  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ASE.K said:

Can we just make a thread where we all post our terrible videos, watch them, and then make fun of each other over a beer that weekend?

I’m not going to Alabama but I’d be happy to contribute my Wisconsin video for the good of the team. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Guy Sanchez
12 hours ago, admdelta said:

I’m not going to Alabama but I’d be happy to contribute my Wisconsin video for the good of the team. 

You didn't apply to Bama?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Guy Sanchez said:

You didn't apply to Bama?

Nope, waaaay too muggy down there. If I’m gonna be stuck in a place for the next decade or more I need to enjoy the climate and I like it cold lol. 

Plus I’ve decided to put fighter unit apps on hold until I’ve gotten my PPL. 

And oh jeeze, Sea Dogs finally found his laptop charger again.  🙄

  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, admdelta said:

Nope, waaaay too muggy down there. If I’m gonna be stuck in a place for the next decade or more I need to enjoy the climate and I like it cold lol. 

Plus I’ve decided to put fighter unit apps on hold until I’ve gotten my PPL. 

And oh jeeze, Sea Dogs finally found his laptop charger again.  🙄

Beggars cannot be choosers.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎9‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 11:04 PM, admdelta said:

Definitely, I hope so too! Plus they offered to give us feedback, so hopefully that'll help us out. 

Between that and all the excellent communication they've provided, they seem like a pretty rad group of dudes. Big congrats to whoever gets picked up!

Now to finally delete that video!

Did you get feedback from them?

 

On ‎9‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 10:54 PM, N730 said:

 

Was about to go to bed and checked, I got mine as well, really wishing I’d paid for the consulting.

 

I made some mistakes that a couple of guys on here have helped me fix for my upcoming submissions, so hopefully that makes a difference for these upcoming boards!

 

Congrats to everyone that got an interview and good luck!

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

Did you get any feedback?

  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Guy Sanchez

Does anyone have any knowledge on Oklahoma if they require a visit to get an interview? Someone on here said they only hire from within, is that true?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, N730 said:

 

 


Not yet, I’m going to wait until Thursday and if I still have no feedback, I’ll send another email.


Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

 

Would you mind sharing your scores so we can compare packages?

 

16 minutes ago, admdelta said:

I asked but I haven't heard back yet.

Would you mind sharing your scores so we can compare packages?

  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Guy Sanchez said:

Does anyone have any knowledge on Oklahoma if they require a visit to get an interview? Someone on here said they only hire from within, is that true?

If you're serious about joining any squadron/airframe you should always go visit, it only increases your chances so why wouldn't you! I visited in September, and it seemed like several of the pilots within the unit were from all across the country. I also spoke with the POC several weeks ago, and he told me the last two people hired to go through UPT pipeline were civilians.  So it would seem that they do not just hire from within. Hope that helps!

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Guy Sanchez
10 minutes ago, kleveling said:

If you're serious about joining any squadron/airframe you should always go visit, it only increases your chances so why wouldn't you! I visited in September, and it seemed like several of the pilots within the unit were from all across the country. I also spoke with the POC several weeks ago, and he told me the last two people hired to go through UPT pipeline were civilians.  So it would seem that they do not just hire from within. Hope that helps!

Oh for sure thanks for the insight! Good to know Oklahoma is still in my sights then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Guy Sanchez

This is an extremely weird question, but how important are looks when making videos or rushing and interviewing? I've been told I'm really not a looker so I'm wondering if this actually repels me and my application? I definitely dress for the occasion and am not sloppy looking by any means but I'm also not a Brad Pitt or a Matt Damon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Guy Sanchez said:

This is an extremely weird question, but how important are looks when making videos or rushing and interviewing? I've been told I'm really not a looker so I'm wondering if this actually repels me and my application? I definitely dress for the occasion and am not sloppy looking by any means but I'm also not a Brad Pitt or a Matt Damon.

I think this is just a general life answer, that doesn't pertain to piloting for the air force specifically, but... If you just clean up and dress for the occasion, that's all you do. I doubt you'll be judged by your outside appearance, nor should you. Our outside appearance does not represent who we are on the inside. If you got the heart of a warrior, that's what matters.

I think you'll find that there are several people who don't "look the part" who are pilots, so don't worry about your looks. And I think that extends to just life, not just piloting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Guy Sanchez
3 minutes ago, kleveling said:

I think this is just a general life answer, that doesn't pertain to piloting for the air force specifically, but... If you just clean up and dress for the occasion, that's all you do. I doubt you'll be judged by your outside appearance, nor should you. Our outside appearance does not represent who we are on the inside. If you got the heart of a warrior, that's what matters.

I think you'll find that there are several people who don't "look the part" who are pilots, so don't worry about your looks. And I think that extends to just life, not just piloting.

Had some sad music playing in the background while reading this and almost teared up. You the true MVP.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Guy Sanchez said:

This is an extremely weird question, but how important are looks when making videos or rushing and interviewing? I've been told I'm really not a looker so I'm wondering if this actually repels me and my application? I definitely dress for the occasion and am not sloppy looking by any means but I'm also not a Brad Pitt or a Matt Damon.

Brad Pitt is dreamy...

Side note: I got my rejection email from the 133rd ARS at Pease for the KC-46 today. I know most of you guys are looking at fighters but good luck to whoever gets a shot at the new tanker, looks pretty nice compared to the 1958 model!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...