Baseops Forums

I was seeking out a AFR recruiter to submit an unsponsored UPT package and he told me that all authorizations for rated pilots this fiscal year have been filled, and no more applications for unsponsored will be accepted.

On 3/16/2018 at 8:47 PM, Kiloalpha said:

Chin up, bro. I had tons of rejects before I got interviews. Every rejection is a chance to improve and refine your application.

Was curious since you had good AFOQT scores, can I ask you what the rest of your application looked like? When you were rejected from interviews did you ever figure out why? What helped in getting interviews? 

3 minutes ago, Fakedicck said:

Was curious since you had good AFOQT scores, can I ask you what the rest of your application looked like? When you were rejected from interviews did you ever figure out why? What helped in getting interviews? 

Starting out, I had mediocre LORs. I really dug into connections and family friends to bring those up, which I think has helped. Cover letter is a big one, I’ve gone through probably 50k rough drafts, each getting better.

Most units don’t give productive feedback. I had to call repeatedly or email to get any feedback, and that usually was “Your stuff looks good, maybe get some more flying time?”.

I think the biggest thing was getting my PPL. It seems like once that was done, more units took me seriously. Plus, my PCSM had a nice boost from that. I know a few people who thought their big breakthrough was retaking the TBAS to boost their PCSM, so YMMV.

9 minutes ago, Kiloalpha said:

Starting out, I had mediocre LORs. I really dug into connections and family friends to bring those up, which I think has helped. Cover letter is a big one, I’ve gone through probably 50k rough drafts, each getting better.

Most units don’t give productive feedback. I had to call repeatedly or email to get any feedback, and that usually was “Your stuff looks good, maybe get some more flying time?”.

I think the biggest thing was getting my PPL. It seems like once that was done, more units took me seriously. Plus, my PCSM had a nice boost from that. I know a few people who thought their big breakthrough was retaking the TBAS to boost their PCSM, so YMMV.

What about visiting the unit? Did you visit every unit you interviewed at, or the one you got hired by?

1 hour ago, Fakedicck said:

What about visiting the unit? Did you visit every unit you interviewed at, or the one you got hired by?

Depends on the unit. Some are sticklers for visiting or no interview. Other units have invited me for interviews without visiting. If I had to put a percentage on it, I’m much more likely to get an interview at places I visit, maybe 85% now? Before I had the PPL, that was more like 50/50. 

As a rule, I try to visit every unit I plan on applying to. It’s beneficial for you as well. You need to like the unit you’re aiming for, it really is you feeling them out and them feeling you out (sts).

Edited by Kiloalpha

Just to add my two cents to the conversation - I would say if you are serious about getting picked up, definitely get your PPL.  Also, I would visit the unit if you want to get an interview.  

I have my PPL, and my track record getting an interview has been 4/4 for interviews of units that I visited so far (still waiting on one more I visited: Denver).  Then, I am only 3/10 out of the units I didn't visit (all of these interviews are for heavy units).  So, at least visit the ones you are serious about, if you can!  It definitely helps, and if you are looking to go fighters, it is practically a requirement.

*****Speaking of Denver, has anyone heard anything back from the F-16 unit about interviews? I haven't received a rejection or anything yet.

1 hour ago, ZenBrendan said:

*****Speaking of Denver, has anyone heard anything back from the F-16 unit about interviews? I haven't received a rejection or anything yet.

Website says: 

Thanks to all 2018 UPT board applicants. We are currently reviewing applications. Those applicants selected for an interview will be notified via telephone as soon as able.

Intervews: 20 Apr 2018

UPT start date FY19

http://www.buckleypilotjob.com/

On 3/13/2018 at 4:38 PM, va121mir said:

@mb1685  The march board did not take unsponsored. The one in may should take unsponsored again but if you get selected you will be put "backup" list and will not go to upt until you get a unit to sponsor you. This is per the january board release message. As far as waivers, AFRC said they will not take anybody needing a waiver unsponsored. If you want the contact info for the guys running the board at AFRC let me know and I can send it to you.

Age Waivers or all waivers in general? Can you PM me the contact info.   

7 hours ago, Sit On Acorns said:

Anyone know if our favorite Buckley applicant got the call?

I think we all know the answer to that. It's pretty satisfying that the guy he was criticizing got the invite but he didn't.

Edited by GDAL
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Hopefulflyer389 said:

Rejections emails are coming out for Buckley. 

I didn't even apply and I got one. I must really suck! 

Edited by Siegzy
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Did anyone here apply to the Massachusetts ANG, 131st FS for the F-15C? I can't remember whether they stated when interview notifications were going to be. Due date was only a week ago, I'm just curious.

15 hours ago, Sopwith Camel said:

Did anyone here apply to the Massachusetts ANG, 131st FS for the F-15C? I can't remember whether they stated when interview notifications were going to be. Due date was only a week ago, I'm just curious.

I applied but haven’t heard anything back yet

14 hours ago, NavionHawk said:

Anyone hear when the AFRC March UPT board results are supposed to come out? I’m on pins and needles waiting! 

Results will come out ~3 weeks after the board according to the sharepoint. Nothing on there for the 18-03 board yet as of today.

New Orleans F-15's will be interviewing in June drill.  Visits are open for 18-20 May, coordinate through 122fspilothiring@gmail.com

Looking for opinions here: What is the earliest someone in ROTC looking to commission into guard/reserves should board or visit a unit if they graduate in 2020? Do you think its too soon for a unit to hire someone for that timeline? I'm interested in visiting as soon as possible

11 hours ago, ayz33 said:

Looking for opinions here: What is the earliest someone in ROTC looking to commission into guard/reserves should board or visit a unit if they graduate in 2020? Do you think its too soon for a unit to hire someone for that timeline? I'm interested in visiting as soon as possible

It's never too early to start looking into this and getting your name out to units. Some places are different about when they will bring you in for an interview regarding time until graduation (6 months, last semester, 90 credit hours completed, something like that). It's a great time to try for the meet and greets though. Honestly, that might be one of the biggest things you could do, aside from good pilot and PCSM scores. If you want it, don't let anything stand in your way because it is possible! Keep up what you're doing!

9 hours ago, BigRigButters1 said:

It's never too early to start looking into this and getting your name out to units. Some places are different about when they will bring you in for an interview regarding time until graduation (6 months, last semester, 90 credit hours completed, something like that). It's a great time to try for the meet and greets though. Honestly, that might be one of the biggest things you could do, aside from good pilot and PCSM scores. If you want it, don't let anything stand in your way because it is possible! Keep up what you're doing!

Thanks, Im a prior E guy with 99 pilot and 93 pcsm so i just need to get my face out there asap!

@ayz33 Dude, you’ll get picked up with that background. Go visit units as soon as financially possible. 

I (personally) can’t give you any specific advice on how early a unit will or will not hire, but go meet the guys/gals at the squadrons you’re interesed in ASAP. The sooner you visit, the better off you’ll be.

Prior E with 99 pilot and 93 pcsm is pretty dang strong. 

Good Luck!

Edited by PilotCandidate
  • Upvote 1