Upcoming Boards

Does anyone know if the AFRC UFT boards are not taking unsponsored applicants anymore? I heard that was the case for the board taking place this month. Is that the plan for the foreseeable future or is there a chance unsponsored applicants will be able to apply again in the near future?

Also, I read on here a while back that age waivers probably aren't a thing for unsponsored applicants, but to "try anyway". Can anyone speak to this? I turn 29 next month and already have a MEPS physical, IFCI physical, and my security clearance investigation was initiated almost a year ago, so I figure those things could theoretically get me orders to OTS/MFS/IFT/UPT sooner than someone without, but of course the uncertainty of the fate of unsponsored boards + UPT backups mean that I'd probably need a waiver.

Edited by mb1685

@mb1685  The march board did not take unsponsored. The one in may should take unsponsored again but if you get selected you will be put "backup" list and will not go to upt until you get a unit to sponsor you. This is per the january board release message. As far as waivers, AFRC said they will not take anybody needing a waiver unsponsored. If you want the contact info for the guys running the board at AFRC let me know and I can send it to you.

• Upvote 1

Just to add my two cents to the conversation - I would say if you are serious about getting picked up, definitely get your PPL.  Also, I would visit the unit if you want to get an interview.  

I have my PPL, and my track record getting an interview has been 4/4 for interviews of units that I visited so far (still waiting on one more I visited: Denver).  Then, I am only 3/10 out of the units I didn't visit (all of these interviews are for heavy units).  So, at least visit the ones you are serious about, if you can!  It definitely helps, and if you are looking to go fighters, it is practically a requirement.

*****Speaking of Denver, has anyone heard anything back from the F-16 unit about interviews? I haven't received a rejection or anything yet.