Upcoming Boards

I am starting the process of attaining LORs and I have a couple questions.

First of all, I am wondering if these will be good people to get letters from. I have already asked each of them and they are all willing to write me an LOR

1. LOR from my sister's boyfriend (probably will have that part left out) who is an active duty HH-60 pilot (0-4)

2. LOR from a former professor who flew KC-135s

3. LOR from my former CFI who is an aircraft maintenance officer (O-5)

I could also get a letter from my former boss (I worked for a CPA). Or, I could get a letter from another CFI who knows me much better than my CFI in #3.

My other question is how I should have these letters addressed. Since I plan on applying to multiple units, should I have them write the letters in a way that is general enough for all units? Also, I have seen a lot of units require that the letter is addressed to the CC. How should I go about this?

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, c130rob said:

First of all, I am wondering if these will be good people to get letters from. I have already asked each of them and they are all willing to write me an LOR

1. LOR from my sister's boyfriend (probably will have that part left out) who is an active duty HH-60 pilot (0-4)

I could also get a letter from my former boss (I worked for a CPA). Or, I could get a letter from another CFI who knows me much better than my CFI in #3.

My other question is how I should have these letters addressed. Since I plan on applying to multiple units, should I have them write the letters in a way that is general enough for all units? Also, I have seen a lot of units require that the letter is addressed to the CC. How should I go about this?

Great questions! Regarding the list of references I think your initial three are perfect. It should come down to who knows you better, and who can speak to your strengths more. For example, your CFI may be able to speak to your strengths as a student in a training program more than your friend who instructed with you.  It doesn’t hurt to have more than three letters in your back pocket either, as you may find that the tone of a certain letter is better for a unit over others.

In regards to the address on the letters, my best advice would be to ask for permission from who wrote it to edit the date, unit, aircraft, address, etc. If they give it to you in a PDF, Adobe pro allows you to edit PDFs. The alternative is reaching out to that person everytime you apply to a new board for updated information which can become annoying for them after a while. 

Hopefully that helps! I’m in your same shoes, applying to boards myself. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Checksix said:

Great questions! Regarding the list of references I think your initial three are perfect. It should come down to who knows you better, and who can speak to your strengths more. For example, your CFI may be able to speak to your strengths as a student in a training program more than your friend who instructed with you.  It doesn’t hurt to have more than three letters in your back pocket either, as you may find that the tone of a certain letter is better for a unit over others.

In regards to the address on the letters, my best advice would be to ask for permission from who wrote it to edit the date, unit, aircraft, address, etc. If they give it to you in a PDF, Adobe pro allows you to edit PDFs. The alternative is reaching out to that person everytime you apply to a new board for updated information which can become annoying for them after a while. 

Hopefully that helps! I’m in your same shoes, applying to boards myself. 

Thank you! That’s definitely a good idea, I will do that. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, c130rob said:

I would say all of those are good options, and I would suggest getting one from all 5 of the people you listed for three reasons. 1) You may encounter a board that requires more than three, 2) to give you added versatility depending on who you’re applying, and 3) one or more of the letters may not be l as good as you’d hoped. I know I’ve had high hopes for some that turned out to just not be very good. 

I also agree with Checksix, the best thing to do is honestly to just edit the PDFs to change who they’re addressed to if a unit asks for them to be addressed specifically, cuz if not you’re gonna be bugging the hell out of all those letter writers and often. 

• Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, ayz33 said:

For anyone else still wondering, was notified a few days ago that DC has not yet made a decision from their recent board. If i had to guess I'd say it won't be long now that the holiday season is through

Thanks for the update! Did they mention whether they would make a final selection for an applicant or if the next round would be in-person interviews?

On 1/4/2021 at 10:33 AM, ayz33 said:

For anyone else still wondering, was notified a few days ago that DC has not yet made a decision from their recent board. If i had to guess I'd say it won't be long now that the holiday season is through

Do you have POC info for DC?  I finished my degree in December, and have been trying for the last few months to contact someone there, but no dice.

107th fighter squadron, A-10s out of Selfridge Michigan is having TWO UPT boards this year. A primary and alternate for each board! The first app is due 2/5/21 and is quite extensive with a video portion. A rushing opportunity early February as well. Bogidope has all the info! Good Luck everyone! 

I just got an email back from a guard mobility unit stating that AETC has restricted all mobility guard and reserve squadrons to 1 UPT candidate per year in response to a covid induced back log in training. However, they also stated that people eligible for the new Civil Path to Wings program will be apart of a totally separate pipeline. So, this is making them press for people eligible for CPW.

Has anyone heard about this or have more information about this? 

10 hours ago, c130rob said:

I just got an email back from a guard mobility unit stating that AETC has restricted all mobility guard and reserve squadrons to 1 UPT candidate per year in response to a covid induced back log in training. However, they also stated that people eligible for the new Civil Path to Wings program will be apart of a totally separate pipeline. So, this is making them press for people eligible for CPW.

Isn't that contrary what was posted recently about 90 or so slots for AFRC this year? 

Edited by CavGuy

On 1/9/2021 at 10:05 AM, c130rob said:

However, they also stated that people eligible for the new Civil Path to Wings program will be apart of a totally separate pipeline. So, this is making them press for people eligible for CPW.

So does that mean those that are eligible for CPW will have to apply for it if they’re hired at a heavy squadron?

On 1/9/2021 at 7:05 AM, c130rob said:

Was this a guard or reserve unit making this statement?

2 hours ago, cowdog said:

Was this a guard or reserve unit making this statement?

I also heard the same thing from a guard airlift unit. It seems to be a work around for only having 1 slot allotted per year for each unit. 

21 hours ago, pawnman said:

They might be busy this week...

Apologize for the silly question but how would the Air National Guard be activated in this type of situation? I have heard of it in emergency response distributing food and water, etc. However when it is more of a dangerous threat would the pilots or others in the base be trained in this type of response? 

Thanks!

42 minutes ago, Checksix said:

Apologize for the silly question but how would the Air National Guard be activated in this type of situation? I have heard of it in emergency response distributing food and water, etc. However when it is more of a dangerous threat would the pilots or others in the base be trained in this type of response? 

Thanks!

Depending on the type of unit, the pilots will be involved in airlifting, logistics, etc. Probably not the boots on the ground though. Enlisted people and non-rated officers can be on the ground but more as a second string if the Army isn’t enough to handle it. 

Source: was part of the response to the civil unrest in June and was trained in riot control. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ZR-1 said:

I haven’t been able to get any information on the upcoming 107FS Michigan ANG rushing weekend. If anybody has details, a PM would be greatly appreciated.

Also, has anybody gotten an update on if rushing will be allowed at Portland?

Portland told me that they are considering having small groups come and visit throughout February 

On 1/13/2021 at 3:54 PM, admdelta said:

Depending on the type of unit, the pilots will be involved in airlifting, logistics, etc. Probably not the boots on the ground though. Enlisted people and non-rated officers can be on the ground but more as a second string if the Army isn’t enough to handle it. 

Source: was part of the response to the civil unrest in June and was trained in riot control. 

the Air National Guard is fully involved and standing side by side the Army National Guard. 

• Like 1

On 1/14/2021 at 5:13 PM, RPApilotSelectMSgt said:

the Air National Guard is fully involved and standing side by side the Army National Guard. 

For example, 141ARW is flying NG troops to DC.
https://www.spokesman.com/stories/2021/jan/14/washington-to-send-national-guard-troops-to-dc-for/

I’m willing to bet every CONUS ANG unit that has a mobility mission is working this weekend to deliver Army National Guard and Air National Guard forces to DC with at least one aircraft. My state sent 25 Army, 25 Air so far and has three jets against it.

Those 50 are above and beyond the ones we have mobilized to vaccinate, augment security within the state and man call centers for unemployment support and vaccine information.

I’ve honestly never seen anything quite like this in 18 years of being in the Guard.

I’m willing to bet every CONUS ANG unit that has a mobility mission is working this weekend to deliver Army National Guard and Air National Guard forces to DC with at least one aircraft. My state sent 25 Army, 25 Air so far and has three jets against it.

Those 50 are above and beyond the ones we have mobilized to vaccinate, augment security within the state and man call centers for unemployment support and vaccine information.

I’ve honestly never seen anything quite like this in 18 years of being in the Guard.

I’ve been in the ANG for over 28 yrs and I agree with you. Lots of movement from my base to DC yesterday.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app