Upcoming Boards

Agreed!! Such a great group of people to share this process with!! What’s the oldest person you’ve all known to be picked up by a fighter unit? Going to keep trying even into waiver territory but I know fighters are more age critical. I’m currently 28. Thanks!

7 hours ago, Dangerzone said:

I’ve found it difficult to make connections, what’s your approach—try and communicate with the chief pilot and ask to come out for a visit? But in a covid environment just try and give him/her a call and build a relationship that way? 
I’ve just been sending out apps and hoping for the best, does not seem to be the winning approach. 

Definitely visit if you have the means to. I know it's a big time and financial burden but I'd pick 1-2 unit that you are really really interested in to go visit. Once you meet them in person and talk to them, you'll get a feel for the vibe and then decide how you want to stay in touch. It doesn't necessarily have to be the chief pilot or whomever, just someone you thought you vibed well with. Visit more than once if you can! If you don't feel like you vibed with anyone there, maybe it's not a great fit culture/personality wise for you. With that said, you definitely don't want to come off being fake.

If you're qualified/check all the boxes on paper, sending out apps isn't actually that bad of a strategy - it just takes more time to get some traction. So, depending on your age and whatever circumstances, just keep sending apps (not sure when you started applying, but I imagine spring time hiring boards will kick into gear again. As someone said, what's happening at the airlines now probably aren't affecting boards too much since hired to operational takes like 3 years) and something is gonna stick, I promise. 

2 hours ago, Checksix said:

Agreed!! Such a great group of people to share this process with!! What’s the oldest person you’ve all known to be picked up by a fighter unit? Going to keep trying even into waiver territory but I know fighters are more age critical. I’m currently 28. Thanks!

Not sure about the oldest I've heard of getting picked up, but I'm 31 and I have a first-round phone interview with one tomorrow. It's been hard, like real hard since turning 30. I've lost count of how many have told me no because of my age. But obviously it can be done if even one is willing to talk to me.

• Like 1

I’m also 30. Decent scores. Not great. Am I happy with them? No. Are they competitive? I think so. Basically here’s where I’m at with it. I started super late. I just realized 28 1/2 was changed to 33 in the past 4 months. Based on what I’ve read, and I’ve done a lot of reading, realistically I have roughly a year left. I then find myself in the same position where age again becomes a significant issue. It’s been a lifelong dream I thought was gone because of age. I look at it as blessing that I even have the opportunity to submit application packages. It’s a blessing I even had the ability to get my PPL and have 120 flight hours. If a unit looks through 50, 60, 70, in one case 120+ apps and deems me worthy of an interview. That’s amazing. If that unit chooses me for the slot out of all those apps. That’s a blessing. If I submit 25 packages and never get an in person interview then it wasn’t meant to be. I have a good job, a very supportive fiancé that’s supported me chasing this dream, and a beautiful, happy, and healthy 1 year old daughter. I’m still a lucky guy. I’m still blessed to be so lucky. Do I have the burning desire to serve my country and fly the best aircraft in the world? I absolutely do. If I fail to realize that dream I at least chased it. The best way I knew how. Based on the conversations I’ve had with people I’ve met here the people that caused that dream to fall through deserved to live that dream as much if not more than I did and I’m nothing but happy for them.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I'm genuinely thrilled by how supportive people are here. It's good to know that anytime I don't get selected for a pilot slot it's probably going to someone who really deserves it more. I hope you all get picked up in good time!

I had the good fortune of interviewing with two fighter units. At one of them the pilot candidate selected from the year before was present, and he explained he was in his 30's (I didn't catch his exact age), so the older guys here definitely have time still. I got a no from both units, but some good feedback and encouragement to keep applying in the future.

Don't forget everyone that the fiscal year ends on September 30th, so there could be some more opportunities opening up in the near future as budgets get allocated. Keep applying, and best of luck to you all!

For those of you who are having a hard time getting the interview, I strongly advise you consider BogiDope consulting. The guys on there are a wealth of information. I thought I had solid cover letter/resume before, but after working with them, its a night and day difference, and I would honestly cringe at the thought of having to submit my old documents. No one ever said this would be cheap. The BogiDope stuff is pricey (at least to me), but my documents are really strong now. Just sent everything into AZ ANG, so I guess I will find out if the price tag was worth it lol. 

I will also say that nice polished documents can only make up for low qualifications to a point. So make sure you keep flying, retake afoqt/tbas if you need to. 

On another note, for those of you still in the running for the 457th, what are those guys doing over there lol.

• Like 1

Last sanity check question:

For the AZ F-16 Apps, for the Form 369, are you basically just signing where it says “I hereby consent to release from your files the information requested below?, as that’s the only place it notes “To be completed by applicant.”

Or are you filling out the top portion too? It says to be filled out out by the Recruiting Service, but feels a bit odd shipping this having just been signed?

Last sanity check question:
For the AZ F-16 Apps, for the Form 369, are you basically just signing where it says “I hereby consent to release from your files the information requested below?, as that’s the only place it notes “To be completed by applicant.”
Or are you filling out the top portion too? It says to be filled out out by the Recruiting Service, but feels a bit odd shipping this having just been signed?

Fill out only the applicant portion 🤙🏻
  • Thanks 1

On 9/9/2020 at 6:05 PM, Desk Jobs Suck said:

For example, I was told that "I don't fit into fighter culture, maybe you should join the Marine Corps instead." 

The guy who said that realizes the Marine Corps also has a fighter community right?  

image.png.dce96bc9975d642048d51d90b7176107.png

But ok getting (sorta) serious to second what Desk Jobs said just shoot for what makes you happy and develop some thicker skin.  

• Like 1

On 9/10/2020 at 11:56 AM, markf12 said:

On another note, for those of you still in the running for the 457th, what are those guys doing over there lol.

The latest update ~a week ago said the issues are above the hiring board process so possibly still working through COVID issues. 

On another another note...for the JAX phone interviews, has anyone gotten a call about scheduling their phone interview yet? Just making sure i'm not missing anything

25 minutes ago, Av8 said:

The latest update ~a week ago said the issues are above the hiring board process so possibly still working through COVID issues. 

On another another note...for the JAX phone interviews, has anyone gotten a call about scheduling their phone interview yet? Just making sure i'm not missing anything

Still waiting to hear back from the original congrats email

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, Av8 said:

For Jax, you should have gotten email on 9/7 about scheduling a time if you were contacted initially about it. They were supposed to happen on 9/9 and 9/10 from the email I got.

2 hours ago, Av8 said:

Yeah they emailed me over the weekend and I had the interview yesterday. Seems like they’re kinda doing them as they go but you might wanna follow up to be safe. 

Edited by admdelta