Upcoming Boards

13 minutes ago, pilotcrum said:

I haven’t heard from them either.. so that’s weird 

5 minutes ago, CavGuy said:

Is your last name near the bottom of the alphabet? Lol...

In the same boat as y’all. Maybe we all got interviews and they just haven’t sent them out yet... 😉

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Dangerzone said:

In the same boat as y’all. Maybe we all got interviews and they just haven’t sent them out yet... 😉

24 minutes ago, CavGuy said:

Is your last name near the bottom of the alphabet? Lol...

Hopefully haha. My last name is actually pretty close to the start of the alphabet...

And I'll try to make this the last time I bump this thread today. Got everything in order for the AZ F-16's, but double-checking on this:

"∙ Letter from a security manager verifying your security clearance"

Is it safe to assume that's only for prior-service if you already have a security clearance? That seems the obvious answer and what I've. been rolling with, but I don't see a "if applicable" after it and just wanted to be sure before I mail this off.

4 hours ago, GreenArc said:

And I'll try to make this the last time I bump this thread today. Got everything in order for the AZ F-16's, but double-checking on this:

"∙ Letter from a security manager verifying your security clearance"

Is it safe to assume that's only for prior-service if you already have a security clearance? That seems the obvious answer and what I've. been rolling with, but I don't see a "if applicable" after it and just wanted to be sure before I mail this off.

A lot of things you will see in the AZ application instructions are worded directly too prior service. Reason for this is they used to only hire prior service and have only recently opened up the board to off the street. Because of this I assume they just haven’t updated some of the wording.

Hey guys wanted to just poll the group about the success/failures people have been having this year regarding getting an interview or UPT slot.   

Not sure how everyone else is doing but this yr out of like 10 fighter/heavy units I applied for I only got 1 interview. Was blaming COVID at first but gotta take away that excuse at this point. 

You dudes/ladies getting picked up for interviews or UPT slots, is it because it was your home unit or you have a 99 PCSM score or were the D1 football captain (hint of sarcasm)? Felt like I had a decent application but with all the TBNT or lack of replies I’ve been getting, feel like I need to go back to the drawing board to understand what I need to focus on more. 
Or just say to hell with it and do the AD thing. 
Thanks in advance. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dangerzone said:

Hey guys wanted to just poll the group about the success/failures people have been having this year regarding getting an interview or UPT slot.   

Not sure how everyone else is doing but this yr out of like 10 fighter/heavy units I applied for I only got 1 interview. Was blaming COVID at first but gotta take away that excuse at this point. 

You dudes/ladies getting picked up for interviews or UPT slots, is it because it was your home unit or you have a 99 PCSM score or were the D1 football captain (hint of sarcasm)? Felt like I had a decent application but with all the TBNT or lack of replies I’ve been getting, feel like I need to go back to the drawing board to understand what I need to focus on more. 
Thanks in advance. 

I think it's a combination of factors going against us. More applicants with delayed boards being the biggest one. Here's probably the top three that i've seen:

1. Increase in applicants this year across the board 

2. COVID played a huge factor in not being able to rush squadrons that might have allowed it

3. Many boards cancelled/delayed/not responding makes it seem like we aren't getting interviews

I've applied to 8 fighter squadron boards this year:

2 Interviews

2 Denies

2 Past the first round, but still waiting to hear back

2 Still waiting to hear back

(1 board cancelled that I was going to apply to)

I have consistently heard in the interviews/feedback that basically everyone they are interviewing would get a slot somewhere in previous years. The applicant pool is just so good it is tough to choose. However, there's been dudes in previous years who have sent out 68 apps for years and just happened to get picked up on the 69th, so it definitely can be a long wait. I would reach out to the places you got denied and ask what you could do better, all the places i've reached out to have been willing to give feedback. Hope this helps!

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Dangerzone said:

I applied to ~10 units too, combination of fighter and heavy (actually all fighters except 2). Here's what went down for me:

Visited: 2 units, 1 heavy, 1 fighter. Got interview for heavy, but didn't really fit me. Got TBNT for fighter. one

Interviews: 2 heavy. Again, declined the interview for one. Accepted interview for the other, got offer, accepted offer (did not visit, first time in person was the interview. Loved the atmosphere, loved the mission, loved the people).

Phone/first rounds: 2 fighters. 1 TBNT, other one I declined because I already got picked up.

Stats-wise,
~180 hours, PCMS 99, P99/N99/V97/Q99/AA99. BS/MS in engineering, 4 years in industry. Moderately involved in undergrad. Cool guy all around 😎 (lol). Have you visited anywhere? It's tough to be interviewed without visiting is essentially what I've learned from the process. That and knowing why you want to be a fighter/bomber/tanker/herk/etc pilot and be able to delineate it well. If you get an interview, you're basically qualified. The interview is to weed out the people that are weird, jerks, not team player, not-committed, and not well suited for the military. If you aren't making it that far and have good stats/resume, the only thing left to do is making connections with people at the squadron especially for fighter units. Having someone within the squadron that is willing to vouch for you goes beyond any test scores or resume (assuming they still think you can graduate from UPT...). Also, keep applying. 

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, 1nfrequentF1yer said:

I applied to ~10 units too, combination of fighter and heavy (actually all fighters except 2). Here's what went down for me:

Visited: 2 units, 1 heavy, 1 fighter. Got interview for heavy, but didn't really fit me. Got TBNT for fighter. one

Interviews: 2 heavy. Again, declined the interview for one. Accepted interview for the other, got offer, accepted offer (did not visit, first time in person was the interview. Loved the atmosphere, loved the mission, loved the people).

Phone/first rounds: 2 fighters. 1 TBNT, other one I declined because I already got picked up.

Stats-wise,
~180 hours, PCMS 99, P99/N99/V97/Q99/AA99. BS/MS in engineering, 4 years in industry. Moderately involved in undergrad. Cool guy all around 😎 (lol). Have you visited anywhere? It's tough to be interviewed without visiting is essentially what I've learned from the process. That and knowing why you want to be a fighter/bomber/tanker/herk/etc pilot and be able to delineate it well. If you get an interview, you're basically qualified. The interview is to weed out the people that are weird, jerks, not team player, not-committed, and not well suited for the military. If you aren't making it that far and have good stats/resume, the only thing left to do is making connections with people at the squadron especially for fighter units. Having someone within the squadron that is willing to vouch for you goes beyond any test scores or resume (assuming they still think you can graduate from UPT...). Also, keep applying. 

Honestly glad you got picked up so u can quit stealing the rest of the interviews 😉. You could of just summed it up as you are the ideal candidate every squadron is looking for Lol. Congrats on your hard work and good luck at UPT mate. 👍🏽
I’ve found it difficult to make connections, what’s your approach—try and communicate with the chief pilot and ask to come out for a visit? But in a covid environment just try and give him/her a call and build a relationship that way? 
I’ve just been sending out apps and hoping for the best, does not seem to be the winning approach. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Dangerzone said:

Thanks in advance. 

I just got into this racket at the beginning of the year and have applied to pretty much every board that doesn't have the PPL or solo requirement.  I was able to build 11 hours of flight time before COVID shut down my flight school and I haven't been able to fly since (I'm on Guam and options are very limited for flying).   I have good scores and GPA, but had been getting shot down since I started.  Then out of the blue, 4 interviews fall in my lap within a couple weeks.  I had to decline one because they required an in person interview.  I also can't visit units to establish a relationship from here so I've just taken advantage of units passing through Andersen AFB and have been spamming POCs with emails and phone calls to express my continued interest.  I think that's really the only reason I've gotten any traction so far.  If nothing happens with these interviews I'm gonna go ahead and reel it in to start prepping for my active duty separation.  

My advise to you when you're feeling discouraged is to remember that old chestnut... "Instead of thinking why me? Start thinking why NOT me?" And carry that attitude into your applications and how you communicate with the unit.  Thats what I've been doing, and I'm right there with ya.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Lisenbyjacob said:

I just got into this racket at the beginning of the year and have applied to pretty much every board that doesn't have the PPL or solo requirement.  I was able to build 11 hours of flight time before COVID shut down my flight school and I haven't been able to fly since (I'm on Guam and options are very limited for flying).   I have good scores and GPA, but had been getting shot down since I started.  Then out of the blue, 4 interviews fall in my lap within a couple weeks.  I had to decline one because they required an in person interview.  I also can't visit units to establish a relationship from here so I've just taken advantage of units passing through Andersen AFB and have been spamming POCs with emails and phone calls to express my continued interest.  I think that's really the only reason I've gotten any traction so far.  If nothing happens with these interviews I'm gonna go ahead and reel it in to start prepping for my active duty separation.  

My advise to you when you're feeling discouraged is to remember that old chestnut... "Instead of thinking why me? Start thinking why NOT me?" And carry that attitude into your applications and how you communicate with the unit.  Thats what I've been doing, and I'm right there with ya.  

Hell yeah dude. Exactly what I needed to hear. Channeling my inner Goggins from here on out.   ; ) 

• Like 1

I’ve applied to 3 units. All heavies. No response on the first. Interviews were scheduled 3 days after deadline so I figure they had the people they wanted to interview already. TBNT on the second. Same story. Interviews scheduled 2 days after deadline. Figure they had their people picked as well. Third unit I applied to after contacting their POC. Wasn’t listed anywhere. Applied. Got an interview invite the next day via Zoom. Waiting to hear back on callbacks for in person interviews. I’m not entirely sure that everyone that applied got a Zoom interview. Even if they did, I’m happy that I at least got the opportunity to interview and tell my story and explain why I want to be a pilot in the ANG. I will definitely apply with them again if I don’t get an in person this time. I’ll definitely apply with the second unit that gave me a TBNT. I may expect too much but there’s just something about not getting any feedback that makes me not want to reapply with the first unit.

Honestly I have been feeling the same way, definitely very frustrated. I feel like if I were a unit I would at least interview if not hire me. Active duty TSgt Flight Engineer with 750 hours on my airframe, I have my PPL, I have not amazing but decent scores on AFOQT/PCSM and GPA, already have a flight physical, and a TS clearance....yet not even an interview out of the 6 units i have applied to. I guess still keep at it, but im close to biting the bullet and submitting an AD application. 

Keep in mind that I'm 33 years old, so it'll likely be inherently more difficult to get an interview, but let me offer my 2 cents:

I've been at this game since I was 22 years old coming out of college...that's right, going into year eleven of this game in some form or fashion. I've applied to all of the following:

• 2009 - 2010: Air Force Active Duty (2x; non-select, then board cancellation)
  • 2010 - 2013: 13 different ANG/AFRC units (12x non-select; 1 interview, 1 selection by a KC-135 unit...had to eventually relinquish my slot due to some tough family stuff that would have certainly interfered with successful UPT completion and more)
  • 2013 - June 2020: Get the personal life situation in order, while everyday thinking about applying as soon as things were. And they are now.
  • June 2020 - Present: 6 applications submitted (2 outright rejections due to age, 3 I've never heard back from, 1 that still has the chance to interview)

I'm old, but have decent numbers: 96 Pilot, 87 PCSM (97 with 201+ hours), ~60 flight hours (post-solo) and on-track to finish my PPL this Fall, assuming CA wildfire issues don't keep grounding my flights.

At my age, I've come to learn to learn two things:

1. Patience isn't just a virtue, it's the ardent protector of sanity.

While life is indeed short and years certainly do go by fast, unless you're already in age waiver territory chances are you've got several years to make this happen. I know we'd all like to be picked up on Application #1, but man, patience is key. We're all pursuing a career that is as cool and as fulfilling as it gets, and part of that career is the process: Enjoy it! Don't let impatient steal the happiness that's found in all of this! I know it seems like, if after 13 applications it hasn't happened that it may never happen, but I promise you: keep at it, improve in someway every month, quarter, etc., and simply don't stop pushing. It will work out. Be patient, and let the math (i.e. # of apps submitted over time) work in your favor. Eventually, even after years of applying, there's gonna be a unit that's gonna be like, "Ya know, this is the 3rd year in a row this guy has applied, he's visited several times, and wow, he's now got his PPL, instrument rating, and his PCSM just hit 99. Let's get him in here to interview."

2. Be yourself. ALWAYS.

And when you get that interview, come more prepared to this interview than you have anything else in your life, and be yourself. Take it from someone who's done it: pretending to be anybody else but yourself is incredibly difficult, a cancer to the soul, and I have no doubt squadrons can see it coming from around the corner. My granddad used to say, "I can tell by the way that joker walks what he had for breakfast," and I'm sure these hiring boards are no different. I highly doubt you'll secure a pilot slot simply saying everything the board wants to hear, and if you do, you're likely to be eventually be weeded out, one way or another. So be yourself--and always strive to be your best self, but that's a different topic--and take comfort in knowing that, whether or not it worked out, it did or didn't based on you being you. There's solace to take in that, I promise.

Eventually, it will work out. And in the off-chance it doesn't, and, somehow, it's become official that being an ANG or AFRC pilot wasn't in the cards for you, you'll be able to look yourself in the mirror knowing you didn't sucker out, and you'll likely have some awesome civilian flying and ratings to sustain your love of aviation as you move into the next phase of life.

Best of luck to all, and as many others have said, don't stop improving, and don't stop applying!

Edited by GreenArc
  • Like 10
  • Upvote 3