Upcoming Boards

2 hours ago, goodflightcowboy said:

Saw Tucson posted a board. I know historically they’re military applicants only but I didn’t see that in the application requirements. Anyone know if this changed?

I found that interesting as well. In the attached pdf it says they only sponsor you through UPT and then you are responsible for finding a unit to season with since you can’t fly as an IP yet at Tucson. First UPT board I’ve seen like that so far. 

3 hours ago, goodflightcowboy said:

Saw Tucson posted a board. I know historically they’re military applicants only but I didn’t see that in the application requirements. Anyone know if this changed?

I'll give some slight insight on maybe why it's changed. I was the last one picked up at AZ under a different commander, this past board and the one coming up are under a new commander. I guess he's changing the requirements . It used to be AZ Guard only(Army or Air), unless it got pushed back due to no qualified applicants, then they'd open it up to military only. Looks like he's opening it up to all. 

49 minutes ago, thebleakmw said:

I found that interesting as well. In the attached pdf it says they only sponsor you through UPT and then you are responsible for finding a unit to season with since you can’t fly as an IP yet at Tucson. First UPT board I’ve seen like that so far. 

Technically you're under the AZ Guard until you find that unit. So you're sponsored by them, until you PCS fully after 16 B-course. I think Klameth/Portland does something similar, but I could be wrong. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/22/2020 at 6:57 PM, Jim.Garcia said:

Called Jacksonville this afternoon and they said to expect delays for the telephone interviews as far as mid-August, and for everything else to get pushed to the right.

Just for clarification did you get selected for a phone interview or were you just calling to get a general idea of where they’re at with the process? 

14 hours ago, thebleakmw said:

Just for clarification did you get selected for a phone interview or were you just calling to get a general idea of where they’re at with the process? 

I called to check where they were in the review process and they told me to expect delays, haven't been selected for a phone interview.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Lisenbyjacob said:

115 applicants and the average flight hours between them 200 hrs 😳  I'm starting to feel a little inferior. 

I took those as being the average numbers of those selected for an interview, not the entire applicant pool. I’m sure the average flight time is skewed high if they invited one or two high hour ATP guys. I bet (hope) the median is much lower.

On 7/21/2020 at 1:29 AM, GreenArc said:

Also, I dug this one up, too: C-17's out of West Virginia!

https://www.167aw.ang.af.mil/Units/Careers/

It sounds like they've got a board coming up relatively soon, so I'm going to reach out and see what if we're good to start submitting packages for the October board:

Heard back from the POC on this one.

"Our next pilot hiring board will be in October.  Please have your package submitted to me by 14 Aug 20. If selected, I will include all the details needed for the interview process. While the interview dates are currently scheduled for 3 & 4 October 2020, we may have to be flexible due to COVID-19 protocols."

• Upvote 2

It’s a year out, but the Swamp Foxes flying the F-16 out of SC have posted that they’re having a board in the Fall of 2021, accepting packages 6 months prior to the board date...so maybe around February of next year it’ll open up? A ways out for sure, but it’ll be here before we know it!

https://www.169fw.ang.af.mil

The 169th Fighter Wing will hold an Undergraduate Pilot Training (UPT) Board during the Fall of 2021. We will start hosting visits and accepting resumes approximately six months prior to the board. The specific dates of the board and visit dates will be posted on this page when they are determined.”

• Upvote 1

On 7/23/2020 at 2:48 PM, goodflightcowboy said:

I emailed the POC, haven’t heard anything back yet. I will keep y’all updated. 

• Upvote 1

On 7/24/2020 at 2:43 PM, Pilotdude1845 said:

Has anyone heard back from the 177th in NJ? 

Looks like they sent emails to everybody today.

Averages of all applications received: GPA 3.23, Age 26, PCSM 81, Pilot 89,
Nav 75, Apt 63, Ver 67, Quan 57.

Averages of those selected to interview: GPA 3.34, Age 22.5, PCSM 91, Pilot
98, Nav 91, Apt 81, Ver 80, Quan 76.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, ZR-1 said:

Looks like they prefer guys just coming out of college. Starting to feel real old at 25 👴.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, ZR-1 said:

I’m assuming the 177th FW announced these numbers in their interview notification emails? 

On 7/22/2020 at 1:17 PM, Sprite said:

Hello everyone,

thank you so much for the valuable information! I apologize in advance as I'm sure these questions have been asked multiple times but I'm more looking for advice rather than a definitive answer.

I have extensive experience working very closely with an F-16 ANG FW on a almost daily basis (civilian federal position), and while I don't know any of the pilots personally (everything was handled over comms) would it be appropriate to ask them for a letter of recommendation? From my understand LoR's should come from individuals who know your character and work ethic on a personal and professional level, but at the same time I worked with the pilots every day in fairly significant role, just never met them face to face. They probably recognize my voice though!

Additionally, while I am correctable to 20/20 vision (and flight surgeon passed for FAA use), I'm pretty sure I will need lasik. I know recovery time is 6 months and technically speaking I have to be 1 year past the operation to be eligible. If I want to try for the Vermont board in a few months, would you recommend I get it (which would obviously be now), or is it essentially already too late? Do you think there might be time after the board and before MEPS when I could theoretically qualify?  

Thanks!

Check your DM, dropped you some notes about the VT unit. Can't speak to your specific situation regarding LoR from pilots in your unit, but off the cuff, would seem a bit strange and wouldn't necessarily fit the "know your character on a personal level" bit.