Upcoming Boards

22 hours ago, pilotcrum said:

I’m sure someone would have said something if they heard something but just asking if anyone has updates on any of these units:

Fort Worth (should of heard back by now)

Toledo, Ohio (I think they said to sit tight for now)

DC viper squadron (haven’t heard a single thing from them)

Lousiana F15 Squadron (haven’t heard anything from them either) 

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but Ft. Worth sent their interview invites out almost 3 months ago.  I don't think they typically send out the "thanks but no thanks" email so maybe that's where the confusion arose.  

1 minute ago, tarheelaviator said:

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but Ft. Worth sent their interview invites out almost 3 months ago.  I don't think they typically send out the "thanks but no thanks" email so maybe that's where the confusion arose.  

I should have been more clear, that’s my bad. I got the invite but hadn’t heard back since the meet and greet. Just found out they’re still delayed. 

Just now, pilotcrum said:

I should have been more clear, that’s my bad. I got the invite but hadn’t heard back since the meet and greet. Just found out they’re still delayed. 

Gotcha no idea then.  They offered you an invite but didn't provide a POC to reach out to?  I'm sure there's someone lurking from the squadron around here who can help.  I've had some success in the application process just calling the ops desk at places of interest.  You'll have to be creative and get around some gatekeepers but I'm sure if you were already offered an interview they'll be more receptive about getting a pilot on the phone for you.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, tarheelaviator said:

Gotcha no idea then.  They offered you an invite but didn't provide a POC to reach out to?  I'm sure there's someone lurking from the squadron around here who can help.  I've had some success in the application process just calling the ops desk at places of interest.  You'll have to be creative and get around some gatekeepers but I'm sure if you were already offered an interview they'll be more receptive about getting a pilot on the phone for you.  

Yeah I talked to them. Just seems like things keep getting delayed for some reason. Just gotta keep sitting tight and being patient. Thanks for the help. 

3 minutes ago, pilotcrum said:

Yeah I talked to them. Just seems like things keep getting delayed for some reason. Just gotta keep sitting tight and being patient. Thanks for the help. 

Hurry up and wait. Best motto around for these times.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, arat said:

Any word on when 114FW in SD is sending out interview invites?

I called them up today, it sounds like they're going through packages right now and might send out interview notifications next week.

Good to see someone else applying in Sioux Falls!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CavGuy said:

Everyone getting amped for fighter units, meanwhile I'm over here dying for Tanker units to open back up 😄

This is the way 😉

• Like 1

I got an email from the 457th hiring board back in early April saying that, "you've passed through our first stage of the hiring process! Unfortunately, due to COVID-19, we are pausing our hiring board until further DoD guidance is released and travel restrictions are lifted. In the meantime, continue providing resume updates and availability changes to our hiring email (457FS.Pilot.Hiring@us.af.mil). We will provide clarification and updates to the process as we get more information". 

So I reached out the other day to their POC directly and asked if there were any new updates on when they'd have folks come out (insinuating the meet and greet and not the interviews). He got back with me saying that the 2nd stage resumes are being reviewed by squadron members and they'll have an update to give out within a week or so. 

However while reading through some of the previous comments in this thread, I noticed that someone mentioned having done a meet and greet with the 457th. Have they actually already done a(the) meet and greet and are waiting to do interviews next? Or are they still planning to schedule one for folks to attend? 

Fort Worth Vipers told me I'd hear back with a positive yes or no on an interview in "about two weeks" after the meet and greet but they also said that they had no idea when or how they'd be conducting interviews. I think it's safe to assume we'll just have to sit back and wait for now.

I haven't seen this posted anywhere, but doing a little Google Fu yesterday and I found this:

https://www.145aw.ang.af.mil/About-Us/Careers/

UPT board for C-17s out of Charlotte, with applications due on July 31st. PoC listed is super cool; please feel free to PM me as I've got the package requirements from them already. Age limit is 31, no age waivers being given to olds like me.

Best of luck to anyone applying!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 7/10/2020 at 12:49 PM, ParkDawg said:

I got an email from the 457th hiring board back in early April saying that, "you've passed through our first stage of the hiring process! Unfortunately, due to COVID-19, we are pausing our hiring board until further DoD guidance is released and travel restrictions are lifted. In the meantime, continue providing resume updates and availability changes to our hiring email (457FS.Pilot.Hiring@us.af.mil). We will provide clarification and updates to the process as we get more information". 

So I reached out the other day to their POC directly and asked if there were any new updates on when they'd have folks come out (insinuating the meet and greet and not the interviews). He got back with me saying that the 2nd stage resumes are being reviewed by squadron members and they'll have an update to give out within a week or so. 

However while reading through some of the previous comments in this thread, I noticed that someone mentioned having done a meet and greet with the 457th. Have they actually already done a(the) meet and greet and are waiting to do interviews next? Or are they still planning to schedule one for folks to attend? 

Ft. Worth has done a meet and greet (virtually) and the next step will be the in-person interviews, but there hasn't been a date set on that as of yet.

Google tells me this went live on their site 9 hours ago:

https://www.158fw.ang.af.mil/BECOME_A_FIGHTER_PILOT/

F-35's out of Vermont:

The Vermont Air National Guard will begin accepting applications in the fall of 2020 for a spring 2021 Undergraduate Pilot Training (UPT) Board. This will be a selection board to hire new F-35 pilots into the VTANG.

It states that 30 is the age limit...but it doesn't say that no waivers are being considered. I've spoken with two PoCs now that have noted that they won't hire anybody above the noted age, though both application outlines for those units didn't say explicitly as others do that they will not be entertaining age waivers.

I'm starting to think it'd be smarter to just not ask if it's not explicitly stated, apply, and see if maybe someone on the board is like, "Hm, older, but I think we may actually like him. He's a long shot but let's invite him for an interview" rather than weed myself out from jump street. I'm 100% okay losing some coin on mailing packages and some dedicated time in prep to get in front of a board as opposed to never even arriving on anyone's desk for review...anybody got any thoughts/advice on that?

49 minutes ago, GreenArc said:

F-35's out of Vermont:

It states that 30 is the age limit...but it doesn't say that no waivers are being considered. I've spoken with two PoCs now that have noted that they won't hire anybody above the noted age, though both application outlines for those units didn't say explicitly as others do that they will not be entertaining age waivers.

I'm starting to think it'd be smarter to just not ask if it's not explicitly stated, apply, and see if maybe someone on the board is like, "Hm, older, but I think we may actually like him. He's a long shot but let's invite him for an interview" rather than weed myself out from jump street. I'm 100% okay losing some coin on mailing packages and some dedicated time in prep to get in front of a board as opposed to never even arriving on anyone's desk for review...anybody got any thoughts/advice on that?

Absolutely man, always get your application in front of a unit you would want to join, even if you think you're a long shot. I don't know much about the age waiver process, but I was applying to boards 12 months before I graduated college. Odds are, you don't get an interview, but if you do you'll be happy you applied. That's my 0.02 anyway. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, GreenArc said:

"You miss 100% of the shots you never take"

- Wayne Gretzky

- Michael Scott

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Metalhead731 said:

"You miss 100% of the shots you never take"

- Wayne Gretzky

- Michael Scott

Another avenue of thought, if this doesn’t work out, in 30 years, do you think you’d always wonder “what if,” if you don’t send in a packet?  Remove all doubt and apply. The worst thing that happens is you get told “no,” but then at least you know for sure and you didn’t leave your potential future up to an assumption. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, GreenArc said:

F-35's out of Vermont:

It's referring to the "Air Force regulation" which tells me that's a copypaste from previous years probably. Plus I know for a fact that Vermont used to do age waivers (and even advertised it) so I'd say go for it for sure.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, mp5g said:

Another avenue of thought, if this doesn’t work out, in 30 years, do you think you’d always wonder “what if,” if you don’t send in a packet?  Remove all doubt and apply. The worst thing that happens is you get told “no,” but then at least you know for sure and you didn’t leave your potential future up to an assumption. 

I agree! Like Mover said; make them tell you no!

• Like 1