Upcoming Boards

8 hours ago, admdelta said:

So the 159th Fighter Squadron in Florida requires a letter of intent for their applications. Is that just a weird way of saying cover letter or is that actually its own distinct thing?

This is what the google machine has to say,

"A letter of interest is a document that conveys your desire to work for a company that hasn’t posted a job opening. This letter lets the hiring manager know that you’re interested in seeking a position with the business. It explains why you would be a good fit for that company, what your qualifications are and where you see yourself working. A letter of interest will often include background information that details why you’ve chosen to reach out.

A cover letter is a document that accompanies your resume and briefly explains your interest in a particular job posting. The elements of a cover letter are similar to those of a letter of interest. However, a cover letter refers to a specific job that the company has advertised. Your cover letter helps your resume stand out and should make the reader more interested in reviewing your full resume and contacting you for an interview."

13 hours ago, ryleypav said:

This is what the google machine has to say,

"A letter of interest is a document that conveys your desire to work for a company that hasn’t posted a job opening. This letter lets the hiring manager know that you’re interested in seeking a position with the business. It explains why you would be a good fit for that company, what your qualifications are and where you see yourself working. A letter of interest will often include background information that details why you’ve chosen to reach out.

A cover letter is a document that accompanies your resume and briefly explains your interest in a particular job posting. The elements of a cover letter are similar to those of a letter of interest. However, a cover letter refers to a specific job that the company has advertised. Your cover letter helps your resume stand out and should make the reader more interested in reviewing your full resume and contacting you for an interview."

Ahh but that's a letter of interest! The application calls for a letter of intent.

17 hours ago, admdelta said:

Ahh but that's a letter of interest! The application calls for a letter of intent.

Trying to help triangulate this one for you, I came across this old UPT hiring post for the 78th ARS out of New Jersey:

“Letter of Intent/Cover Letter to the Commander”

The context there seems to suggest this may be more or less the same as a cover letter.

Maybe that helps? The PoC at the 159th may be willing to shed some light too if all else fails!

Best of luck with your application!

I was going to just tailor my cover letter for the letter of intent and call it good.  I'm sure there's plenty of better reasons for them not to hire me than that lol. 

While we're on the topic of that board though, does anyone know if the Point Credit Summary applies to active duty or just existing Guard/Reserve folks?

11 hours ago, gear3green said:

http://www.guardreservejobs.com/newjobboard/jobs/b-1-pilot/

heads up! If anyone wants a BONE. 

This is for UPT candidates right? Not rated pilots. And what is "Copies of OPRs or Civilian Appraisals"? And in the requirements it says "attached questionnaire" but there isn't one.

Edited by pilotcrum

12 minutes ago, pilotcrum said:

This is for UPT candidates right? Not rated pilots. And what is "Copies of OPRs or Civilian Appraisals"? And in the requirements it says "attached questionnaire" but there isn't one.

I think at the very end of this one it notes "*Rated/Military Candidates Only", so it looks like you already gotta be a BONE driver for this one, OR, maybe already in the service, depending on you interpret that...?

31 minutes ago, GreenArc said:

I think at the very end of this one it notes "*Rated/Military Candidates Only", so it looks like you already gotta be a BONE driver for this one, OR, maybe already in the service, depending on you interpret that...?

Well, thats what i originally thought, but I think what it is actually indicating is that the certain items with an asterisk* next to them are required for prior rated pilots. But I will email them to confirm.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, GreenArc said:

The asterisk is on certain requirements that they have specifically for military candidates (they have it on OPRs and PT scores) - they also have a few items on there explicitly not for military candidates, like AFOQT scores. It's worded really weird but it looks to me like they're hiring both rated and for UPT.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, GreenArc said:

Wording might be a little confusing due to the lack of punctuation or separation between requirements. If you break down all the requirements separately, you can see that is an UPT opportunity for both Civilian and Military who are prior rated or not. If you are Mil, then all items that have an asterisk apply to you in addition to the requirements without an asterisk. Good luck all.

• Upvote 1

On 5/30/2020 at 12:41 AM, admdelta said:

Lo, good call. I goofed. My b. 

On 5/29/2020 at 1:23 AM, admdelta said:

So the 159th Fighter Squadron in Florida requires a letter of intent for their applications. Is that just a weird way of saying cover letter or is that actually its own distinct thing?

A few units I have applied to have asked for them. Pretty similar to the letter of interest mentioned before and the letter of intent example. Big thing is to explicitly say exactly what you are applying for: unit, location, airframe, board date (like Summer 2020). The units that put the most emphasis on these letters were the ones that had postings for CSOs or other airframes, so they must have had issues where folks didn't make it clear what they were applying for.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, benr1001 said:

Just got word that the 457th online meet-and-greet is this Thursday. Quick! What do I put up on the wall behind me to make myself look cool! 😄

Having done a Zoom interview relatively recently just have a clean wall with nothing super distracting behind you (I had an old family American flag behind me) and make sure the lighting it good.  Just give it a test run first with your camera and where you intend to do it.  

9 hours ago, benr1001 said:

Just got word that the 457th online meet-and-greet is this Thursday. Quick! What do I put up on the wall behind me to make myself look cool! 😄

Green screen with your personal highlight reel on it

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, tarheelaviator said:

Having done a Zoom interview relatively recently just have a clean wall with nothing super distracting behind you (I had an old family American flag behind me) and make sure the lighting it good.  Just give it a test run first with your camera and where you intend to do it.  

I was mostly joking but thanks! I'll do it in my office here at home which is pretty clean.

5 hours ago, LNGH said:

Green screen with your personal highlight reel on it

I don't have a green screen, can I just email them a video of my first solo in a C150? 😄

• Upvote 1

On 5/30/2020 at 10:44 PM, Lisenbyjacob said:

I was going to just tailor my cover letter for the letter of intent and call it good.  I'm sure there's plenty of better reasons for them not to hire me than that lol. 

While we're on the topic of that board though, does anyone know if the Point Credit Summary applies to active duty or just existing Guard/Reserve folks?

I had the same question about a point credit summary. I am AD Air Force and have never heard of it before. I talked to someone in the guard and they said I don't have one, so I think it is for Guard/Reserve folks only

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Av8 said:

I had the same question about a point credit summary. I am AD Air Force and have never heard of it before. I talked to someone in the guard and they said I don't have one, so I think it is for Guard/Reserve folks only

That’s correct. The points summary reflect our completed drill weekends and annual training. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CavGuy said:

Big thanks to you man for posting that.I would have missed it on guardreservejobs.

Any time brotha! Glad to help! 

On a side note I know  many of you have contacted me about helo slots. Bare with me as I get back to you. TDY at the moment. But I promise I’ll reply back! 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, gear3green said:

Any time brotha! Glad to help! 

On a side note I know  many of you have contacted me about helo slots. Bare with me as I get back to you. TDY at the moment. But I promise I’ll reply back! 

You’re good people. Be safe out there!