Upcoming Boards

2 hours ago, gear3green said:

NY is on pause. As for Patrick 60s we might run our board this May. (Things can change) expect a video interview if anything. 

Is the window still open for the Patrick 60s? I haven't seen a job posting from them.

On 4/10/2020 at 6:56 PM, thebleakmw said:

Might as well open this up, anyone hear back from any fighter unit that had a listing open? (Ft worth, DC, Nola). Toledo has been good about giving updates but that’s the only one I’ve heard from. 

I spoke with a pilot friend at DC.  The board isn't canceled but they haven't decided when to hold it.  Kind of in a holding pattern until they get more guidance on the Covid-19 situation.  

On 4/10/2020 at 7:39 PM, Terminator5lf said:

Fresno has suspended their board and after the covid is over they will give everyone a month to submit any application updates before selecting/sending invites (info from Steamer the POC)

MD, SD, and NJ have pushed back their application due dates and their boards are still tentatively on schedule.

Good to know CA is allowing application submissions later because I was told not to submit anything due to the board cancellation (Mid March-ish)

I thought MD was still holding the board on schedule but just not having an in person meet and greet this year?  

Edited by tarheelaviator

On 4/10/2020 at 6:39 PM, Terminator5lf said:

Ft Worth sent out emails to those they intend to invite to the meet and greet after the covid stuff.

DC is in a holding pattern and has not selected any interview candidates (Info from talking to a pilot at the squadron)

Nola last info was, Due to COVID-19 concerns, leadership has just now decided to cancel the rush this weekend. In addition the May UPT board has also been postponed. I have to go fly right now but I'll keep you posted on whatever else I get. That was from SLAM the POC so they are in a holding pattern along with everyone else.

Fresno has suspended their board and after the covid is over they will give everyone a month to submit any application updates before selecting/sending invites (info from Steamer the POC)

MD, SD, and NJ have pushed back their application due dates and their boards are still tentatively on schedule.

Probably a dumb question, but we won't need to resubmit applications to Fresno if we don't have any updates, correct? Or will this essentially be a "new" board?

4 hours ago, tarheelaviator said:

I spoke with a pilot friend at DC.  The board isn't canceled but they haven't decided when to hold it.  Kind of in a holding pattern until they get more guidance on the Covid-19 situation.  

DC update: 

2020 UPT Board update:

Aspiring Fighter Pilots, first off thank you to the 121+1 of  you who applied, we understand the time requirement and take each application very seriously.

Current events have changed the timeline.  Applications will be reviewed by May and candidates who advance to the next events should be notified in June.

We know this create challenges for some of you and we did not consider the modification lightly.

Thank you again to all who applied.  I hope to see you on my wing soon.

GP!

4 hours ago, tarheelaviator said:

Good to know CA is allowing application submissions later because I was told not to submit anything due to the board cancellation (Mid March-ish)

I thought MD was still holding the board on schedule but just not having an in person meet and greet this year?  

Correct MD is on schedule just no meet and greet.

1 hour ago, mb1685 said:

Probably a dumb question, but we won't need to resubmit applications to Fresno if we don't have any updates, correct? Or will this essentially be a "new" board?

Also correct they have all previously submitted apps on file. 

Stay safe ya’ll! 

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, Terminator5lf said:

2020 UPT Board update:

Aspiring Fighter Pilots, first off thank you to the 121+1 of  you who applied, we understand the time requirement and take each application very seriously.

Current events have changed the timeline.  Applications will be reviewed by May and candidates who advance to the next events should be notified in June.

We know this create challenges for some of you and we did not consider the modification lightly.

Thank you again to all who applied.  I hope to see you on my wing soon.

GP!

Thanks for update, was that sent out en masse? If so I didn't get it so I'm hoping they still got my app...

2 hours ago, 1nfrequentF1yer said:

Thanks for update, was that sent out en masse? If so I didn't get it so I'm hoping they still got my app...

That's a negative. That was posted to their official FB page. https://www.facebook.com/121FSpilotrecruiting/

So you should be good with your app, they have not sent out any emails or anything just general info on the fb page.

• Upvote 2

On 2/13/2014 at 11:33 AM, A300 said:

Yes and no. Are you motivated and want a slot with the 154th? Then go for it guns blazing and take what you think is yours. Being a current resident is not an extremely determining factor.

As for when you move to the state and have to start paying to live there is when it could get tricky. HI is not a cheap state, and you will have to find another way to support your income. Thank goodness you have a degree though to use in some capacity.

Good luck!! APPLY!!!

Anyone know if this is still true today regarding whether or not being out of state is a mark against you? I know they haven't had a UPT Board in a few years, but was wondering for future reference. Thanks. 

52 minutes ago, H_G said:

Anyone know if this is still true today regarding whether or not being out of state is a mark against you? I know they haven't had a UPT Board in a few years, but was wondering for future reference. Thanks. 

Tough to say, and I doubt you'll find any hard data on that. The quote you're using is the answer. Apply and find out. Give the POC a call, reach out in whatever way you can. Show you're serious and visit. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, H_G said:

I rushed back in (unsuccessfully) 2011 and I know back then they wanted guys who were from the area. One of the biggest issues with getting people from out of state is that Hawaii (I live here) is very different than every other state, culturally, and it's almost like another country. Add to that, a very high cost of living, and unless you're financially prepared for that and with a career that pays well, it can make moving and living here difficult. I'm not sure if they have a lot of opening for AGR slots, but it's never a bad idea to assume that after seasoning you're going to be a traditional guardsman. Guard-bumming can happen, I'm sure, but it's best to have a reliable income source, especially with COVID. You don't want to lose a security clearance because you went in debt. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, H_G said:

I called them a few months back. The unit recruiter I spoke to said their focus is local applicants, and pretty much said without saying it outright that being a non-local will be extremely difficult to get an interview. FWIW.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, goodflightcowboy said:

Tough to say, and I doubt you'll find any hard data on that. The quote you're using is the answer. Apply and find out. Give the POC a call, reach out in whatever way you can. Show you're serious and visit. 

I spoke to someone there a couple of months ago before the virus lockdown.  They said to keep checking in monthly since they are unsure when they will announce a board.  Still trying to get a pilot POC since the recruiter gatekeepers will always tell you its impossible.   

3 hours ago, tarheelaviator said:

I spoke to someone there a couple of months ago before the virus lockdown.  They said to keep checking in monthly since they are unsure when they will announce a board.  Still trying to get a pilot POC since the recruiter gatekeepers will always tell you its impossible.   

Alright ya'll figured I'd offer what I have. I spent at least a couple weeks trying to get in touch with a pilot at the 199th fighter squadron. Finally managed to get one of the AD pilots who passed me the email of the squadron DO Lt Col Horton. I emailed him and he informed me that the HI ANG does not keep a set schedule on their boards and the only way to get board information is indeed to go through the recruiters. He put me in contact with the recruiter that deals directly with their boards MSgt Manalo. PM me if you are interested and I will give you her contact info. I sent her an email and she reached out to make sure I had all the prerequisites done (AFOQT etc.) and then she sent me the requirements for the application package. She has a database started and will shoot out a mass alert to submit your package when the submission date drops for the UPT board. The 199th, 203rd, and 204th run joint boards so she will be the gate keeper for all 3 if you are interested in something other than the F-22's as well.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

On 4/28/2020 at 3:35 AM, CavGuy said:

I called them a few months back. The unit recruiter I spoke to said their focus is local applicants, and pretty much said without saying it outright that being a non-local will be extremely difficult to get an interview. FWIW.

For the HIANG, I got an interview about a year ago and I am not a Hawaii resident. But I did 'rush' the squadron and visited on my christmas break. I asked if there was any preference for locals and was told no with the caveat that one should come prepared/have a plan financially because Hawaii isnt cheap, especially oahu. 

Edited by BlueSkyz
  • Upvote 3