Upcoming Boards

Guest Guy Sanchez
21 minutes ago, admdelta said:

Don’t do that. Submit an updated application if you have to but rescinding the whole thing isn’t the way to go. Even if you think the video hurts you, it’s not gonna hurt you as bad as having no video or application at all. 

Also if you’re worried about other units out there seeing it, you can change the privacy setting on there from public to “unlisted” so that only people with the link can see it. 

Don't know if its worth it to get black listed by the whole fighter culture on the ANG though. I already deleted the video so we will see what they say, I don't plan on turning in my application either, was going to do it today but definitely not doing it anymore. It was an expensive mistake and I've learned from it.

5 hours ago, Guy Sanchez said:

So I posted my video to the 100th fighter squadron and explained why I want to be a fighter pilot, in part because I would rather be in an aircraft that has ejection seats just in case as opposed to being in a cargo aircraft in an emergency that has no ejection seats and everyone goes down with it. I realize now that saying that might not be the best tact and wanted to get your guys' opinions on what I said, won't be saying it on future videos that's for sure!

Can we just make a thread where we all post our terrible videos, watch them, and then make fun of each other over a beer that weekend?

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, ASE.K said:

Can we just make a thread where we all post our terrible videos, watch them, and then make fun of each other over a beer that weekend?

I’m not going to Alabama but I’d be happy to contribute my Wisconsin video for the good of the team. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Guest Guy Sanchez
12 hours ago, admdelta said:

I’m not going to Alabama but I’d be happy to contribute my Wisconsin video for the good of the team. 

You didn't apply to Bama?

18 minutes ago, Guy Sanchez said:

You didn't apply to Bama?

Nope, waaaay too muggy down there. If I’m gonna be stuck in a place for the next decade or more I need to enjoy the climate and I like it cold lol. 

Plus I’ve decided to put fighter unit apps on hold until I’ve gotten my PPL. 

And oh jeeze, Sea Dogs finally found his laptop charger again.  🙄

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, admdelta said:

Nope, waaaay too muggy down there. If I’m gonna be stuck in a place for the next decade or more I need to enjoy the climate and I like it cold lol. 

Plus I’ve decided to put fighter unit apps on hold until I’ve gotten my PPL. 

And oh jeeze, Sea Dogs finally found his laptop charger again.  🙄

Beggars cannot be choosers.

• Upvote 1

Guest Guy Sanchez

Does anyone have any knowledge on Oklahoma if they require a visit to get an interview? Someone on here said they only hire from within, is that true?

1 hour ago, Guy Sanchez said:

Does anyone have any knowledge on Oklahoma if they require a visit to get an interview? Someone on here said they only hire from within, is that true?

If you're serious about joining any squadron/airframe you should always go visit, it only increases your chances so why wouldn't you! I visited in September, and it seemed like several of the pilots within the unit were from all across the country. I also spoke with the POC several weeks ago, and he told me the last two people hired to go through UPT pipeline were civilians.  So it would seem that they do not just hire from within. Hope that helps!

• Upvote 2

Guest Guy Sanchez
10 minutes ago, kleveling said:

If you're serious about joining any squadron/airframe you should always go visit, it only increases your chances so why wouldn't you! I visited in September, and it seemed like several of the pilots within the unit were from all across the country. I also spoke with the POC several weeks ago, and he told me the last two people hired to go through UPT pipeline were civilians.  So it would seem that they do not just hire from within. Hope that helps!

Oh for sure thanks for the insight! Good to know Oklahoma is still in my sights then.

Guest Guy Sanchez

This is an extremely weird question, but how important are looks when making videos or rushing and interviewing? I've been told I'm really not a looker so I'm wondering if this actually repels me and my application? I definitely dress for the occasion and am not sloppy looking by any means but I'm also not a Brad Pitt or a Matt Damon.

3 minutes ago, Guy Sanchez said:

This is an extremely weird question, but how important are looks when making videos or rushing and interviewing? I've been told I'm really not a looker so I'm wondering if this actually repels me and my application? I definitely dress for the occasion and am not sloppy looking by any means but I'm also not a Brad Pitt or a Matt Damon.

I think this is just a general life answer, that doesn't pertain to piloting for the air force specifically, but... If you just clean up and dress for the occasion, that's all you do. I doubt you'll be judged by your outside appearance, nor should you. Our outside appearance does not represent who we are on the inside. If you got the heart of a warrior, that's what matters.

I think you'll find that there are several people who don't "look the part" who are pilots, so don't worry about your looks. And I think that extends to just life, not just piloting.

Guest Guy Sanchez
3 minutes ago, kleveling said:

I think this is just a general life answer, that doesn't pertain to piloting for the air force specifically, but... If you just clean up and dress for the occasion, that's all you do. I doubt you'll be judged by your outside appearance, nor should you. Our outside appearance does not represent who we are on the inside. If you got the heart of a warrior, that's what matters.

I think you'll find that there are several people who don't "look the part" who are pilots, so don't worry about your looks. And I think that extends to just life, not just piloting.

Had some sad music playing in the background while reading this and almost teared up. You the true MVP.

38 minutes ago, Guy Sanchez said:

Brad Pitt is dreamy...

Side note: I got my rejection email from the 133rd ARS at Pease for the KC-46 today. I know most of you guys are looking at fighters but good luck to whoever gets a shot at the new tanker, looks pretty nice compared to the 1958 model!

I think this question is ok to post here as it's relevant to the topic, but if not please let me know.

How do you address a Lt Col in an email/cover letter? I've been using "Col" but I asked my dad (retired 0-6) and he said "Lt Col" and that you should only use "Col" when speaking to them. 

I'd imagine either are safe and probably won't make or break an application, but I'd love any input you have. 

BONUS: I've seen letters signed both as "LtCol" and "Lt Col". Space or no space? 

2 hours ago, Nash2018 said:

I think this question is ok to post here as it's relevant to the topic, but if not please let me know.

How do you address a Lt Col in an email/cover letter? I've been using "Col" but I asked my dad (retired 0-6) and he said "Lt Col" and that you should only use "Col" when speaking to them. 

I'd imagine either are safe and probably won't make or break an application, but I'd love any input you have. 

BONUS: I've seen letters signed both as "LtCol" and "Lt Col". Space or no space? 

@Nash2018 Safest bet (just my $0.02) is to give a full address (i.e. Lieutenant Colonel) without any abbreviation. I always address by full title and name unless told otherwise, shows some level of respect and discernment.

Edited by iRobot

6 hours ago, Nash2018 said:

Address the letter to  Lieutenant Colonel <Jones>.  But then it'd be Dear Colonel <Jones>.

Abbreviated it is officially Lt Col for Air Force officers and LtCol for Marine Corps officers.  The great thing about the military is you will no longer worry about what to do in any situation, because someone has already written a manual or regulation telling you how or what to do.  In this case it's AFH 33-337 The Tongue and Quill.  The other great part of the military is that 95% of the people don't read or don't care about the manuals so you are good to go.

"A serious problem in planning against American doctrine is that the Americans do not read their manuals, nor do they feel any obligation to follow their doctrine." -unnamed Russian/German Officer from World War II

• Upvote 2

Guest Guy Sanchez

At what point is it time to get BogiDope consulting? When do you know it's your interviewing skills that suck?

2 hours ago, Guy Sanchez said:

At what point is it time to get BogiDope consulting? When do you know it's your interviewing skills that suck?

Before your first interview. No matter how good a person is at interviewing they can always polish it up a little more. And why wouldn’t you go the extra step with consultation? You’ve already put in all this work so far. I wish I had done consultation from the get go. Woulda saved me a lot of money getting hired after the first interview instead of after 8

• Upvote 2

Guest Guy Sanchez
4 hours ago, skyhawk driver said:

Anybody heard from Selfridge?

Dude on here already said he got an interview invite. Doubt they will reach out with rejections at this point

20 hours ago, jetblack said:

True stuff. I as well got picked up by an A-10 unit and it was my third interview. Moral of the story is keep knocking, keep networking, keep being a good bro. If you have the right attitude and determination then its only a matter of time.

How do you go about getting the opportunity to network? Do you just show up on base and head to the club and buy the first round for everyone? xD