Upcoming Boards

Just give it until the weekend. I'm sure they'll send out notifications to everyone around the same time, they've been exceptionally communicative thus far.

I'll be spending my time polishing up my app to Alabama in the meantime, no sense in worrying about what I can't control after all!

Yep just got mine. 

That bogidope consulting service is starting to look mighty enticing. 

Was about to go to bed and checked, I got mine as well, really wishing I’d paid for the consulting.

I made some mistakes that a couple of guys on here have helped me fix for my upcoming submissions, so hopefully that makes a difference for these upcoming boards!

Congrats to everyone that got an interview and good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

5 minutes ago, N730 said:

Was about to go to bed and checked, I got mine as well, really wishing I’d paid for the consulting.

I made some mistakes that a couple of guys on here have helped me fix for my upcoming submissions, so hopefully that makes a difference for these upcoming boards!

Definitely, I hope so too! Plus they offered to give us feedback, so hopefully that'll help us out. 

Between that and all the excellent communication they've provided, they seem like a pretty rad group of dudes. Big congrats to whoever gets picked up!

Now to finally delete that video!

Hi guys,

So I've been lurking on this page for some time since I found out about it. Now I'm in need of a little bit of help if you guys wouldn't mind. I saw on the BogiDope site that the reserve unit at MacDill is having a board in November and I really want to apply. Unfortunately the ad on Bogidope doesn't really have any info as to what the package should consist of. All it says is to send resumes to their email address. I've started looking at all of the other listings just to see what the most constant parts of a package are and I was just going to build a package based off of those. So far the things I have are:

Cover Letter, Resume, Letters of Rec, Transcripts, AFOQT/TBAS scores, Last 3 EPRs (I'm currently enlisted AD), and any pilot ratings/hours info.

Do you all think this will suffice for a package where they have no info as to what it is they actually want? Also, I'm not quite sure how to move forward with the resume and cover letter. All the other parts are pretty self explanatory but I'm not sure how to format or even start with those two. Anyone willing to help me out with that? I'd appreciate any help I could get.

Thanks.

Hi guys,

So I've been lurking on this page for some time since I found out about it. Now I'm in need of a little bit of help if you guys wouldn't mind. I saw on the BogiDope site that the reserve unit at MacDill is having a board in November and I really want to apply. Unfortunately the ad on Bogidope doesn't really have any info as to what the package should consist of. All it says is to send resumes to their email address. I've started looking at all of the other listings just to see what the most constant parts of a package are and I was just going to build a package based off of those. So far the things I have are:

Cover Letter, Resume, Letters of Rec, Transcripts, AFOQT/TBAS scores, Last 3 EPRs (I'm currently enlisted AD), and any pilot ratings/hours info.

Do you all think this will suffice for a package where they have no info as to what it is they actually want? Also, I'm not quite sure how to move forward with the resume and cover letter. All the other parts are pretty self explanatory but I'm not sure how to format or even start with those two. Anyone willing to help me out with that? I'd appreciate any help I could get.

Thanks.

If you just send your resume, maybe update it and include your AFOQT/PCSM scores and flight time/licenses.

That way you’re giving them what they requested, but it has the information you know they’ll want as well.

General PSA...

The number of sh!tty cover letters and resumes I've seen is ridiculous.  If you're sending a resume, it should include a cover letter.  Research what makes a good cover letter.  Double check the grammar and spelling.  Everyone knows you've wanted to fly a jet since you were little or it would be the best job ever.  The cover letter should summarize your qualifications and highlight what will set you apart from others, or suggest why you will succeed in the pipeline.  Get the unit right.  Dont confuse the SQ # with the Wing #.  Do some research on the job you're applying to.  You can easily include test scores, miscellaneous training, flying times into your letter (if thats all you're sending).

For resumes, again, attention to detail.  Action/Impact/Result format works well.  Dont mix tenses.  Make it clean and organized.  Objective/Career Experience/Education/Security clearance/flight experience/skills/awards/etc. 

I've seen so many people just take the sample cover letter that units post and slightly modify it... give me a break.

From a majority of what I've seen.. if it was for a corporate job, I wouldn't hire them.  Disorganized, no attention to detail, looks lazy.  You're applying for the best job in the world, make it look like it.

Edited by rancormac
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

is anyone else planning to visit 100th FS in Alabama during their october drill? It will be my first visit to a unit as a UPT applicant, so any advice would be very welcome! Is it worth it for me to go for the whole weekend? Or just stay for one day? My scores aren't incredible (92 AFOQT, 69 PCSM with 7 hours) and I know it's a super long shot but it's drivable and if you don't ask the answer is always "no" 🤷‍♂️

also, was planning on bringing a bottle of bourbon. That is cool/acceptable, yes?

4 minutes ago, Nash2018 said:

is anyone else planning to visit 100th FS in Alabama during their october drill? It will be my first visit to a unit as a UPT applicant, so any advice would be very welcome! Is it worth it for me to go for the whole weekend? Or just stay for one day? My scores aren't incredible (92 AFOQT, 69 PCSM with 7 hours) and I know it's a super long shot but it's drivable and if you don't ask the answer is always "no" 🤷‍♂️

also, was planning on bringing a bottle of bourbon. That is cool/acceptable, yes?

I actually was planning to visit in October too! I also have similar scores, and it's definitely not a long shot if you get along with them well. I spoke to a guy there about the group, and I'd advise against the bottle of bourbon. I've only visited one unit so far, Oklahoma, and I only was able to visit them for a day. I think typically people visit for the weekend, so just plan on the weekend! PM me if you want to coordinate showing up at the same time/car pooling or whatever. I'll probably be getting in Thursday night late, as I'm coming from STL. First time visiting is always nerve wrecking haha, but it's really not as nerve wrecking as it seems. At least from my experience with Oklahoma everyone was really friendly.

• Upvote 1

@Nash2018 and @kleveling, I’ll be there Saturday and probably Sunday. PM me and we can exchange numbers.

As for booze, I’d recommend bringing it. Leave it in the car and if you feel that it’s appropriate, you won’t be left empty handed.

And no need to be nervous. Just be yourself and know when to keep your mouth shut and you’ll have a good time!

Edited by N730

1 hour ago, kleveling said:

I actually was planning to visit in October too! I also have similar scores, and it's definitely not a long shot if you get along with them well. I spoke to a guy there about the group, and I'd advise against the bottle of bourbon. I've only visited one unit so far, Oklahoma, and I only was able to visit them for a day. I think typically people visit for the weekend, so just plan on the weekend! PM me if you want to coordinate showing up at the same time/car pooling or whatever. I'll probably be getting in Thursday night late, as I'm coming from STL. First time visiting is always nerve wrecking haha, but it's really not as nerve wrecking as it seems. At least from my experience with Oklahoma everyone was really friendly.

I applied and am also from the Lou. Is drill next weekend (6-7)?

6 hours ago, N730 said:

@Nash2018 and @kleveling, I’ll be there Saturday and probably Sunday. PM me and we can exchange numbers.

As for booze, I’d recommend bringing it. Leave it in the car and if you feel that it’s appropriate, you won’t be left empty handed.

And no need to be nervous. Just be yourself and know when to keep your mouth shut and you’ll have a good time!

You guys know what time you plan on arriving and how late the visits usually run? I'll be getting in late Friday and was told visits run between 10 and 2, but wasn't sure if they can go longer. 

You guys know what time you plan on arriving and how late the visits usually run? I'll be getting in late Friday and was told visits run between 10 and 2, but wasn't sure if they can go longer. 

Just to be safe, I’d plan on staying later. Read the room and if everyone is heading out around 2, leave then, but if people are still hanging around you won’t be crunched for time. Try to have a flexible schedule.

But if you’re going to Tulsa for Sunday or something like that, then that’s different and you just need to get as much time in both places as your schedule allows.

On ‎9‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 5:47 AM, herkbum said:

I guess every unit does it different. We have always talked to the prospects and let them visit/hang out. We announce our boards thru Recruiting, who puts out the formal announcement that we write. Using Recruiting allows us to screen folks even more since all ANG ascensions have to pre-qualify and the recruiters are the expert there. When we write the announcement, we put our requirements in there as well as the recruiters putting the basic requirements in. We let them compile the packets and then we decide who we want to interview. Keeps a lot of extra work off our plates and leta the folks that are the experts in the paperwork do their job. 

Sounds like a great setup.  I wish we had recruiters that we could trust to do things the right way/the way we want it done and in a timely fashion.  Sadly that's far too much to ask in this neck of the woods. 

11 minutes ago, ayz33 said:

Did you talk to the board POC to set up your visit?

I’m not sure if it’s required, but I sent an email telling him I’d be coming and asked any questions I had. So I’d definitely reach out. It can’t hurt!

Guest Guy Sanchez

So I posted my video to the 100th fighter squadron and explained why I want to be a fighter pilot, in part because I would rather be in an aircraft that has ejection seats just in case as opposed to being in a cargo aircraft in an emergency that has no ejection seats and everyone goes down with it. I realize now that saying that might not be the best tact and wanted to get your guys' opinions on what I said, won't be saying it on future videos that's for sure!

7 minutes ago, Guy Sanchez said:

So I posted my video to the 100th fighter squadron and explained why I want to be a fighter pilot, in part because I would rather be in an aircraft that has ejection seats just in case as opposed to being in a cargo aircraft in an emergency that has no ejection seats and everyone goes down with it. I realize now that saying that might not be the best tact and wanted to get your guys' opinions on what I said, won't be saying it on future videos that's for sure!

Probably depends on your tone. If you said it in a kind of funny way I don’t think they’d hold that against you and might like it depending on your delivery. If you were dead serious, maybe not the best idea lol. 

• Downvote 1

Guest Guy Sanchez
12 minutes ago, admdelta said:

Probably depends on your tone. If you said it in a kind of funny way I don’t think they’d hold that against you and might like it depending on your delivery. If you were dead serious, maybe not the best idea lol. 

I'm thinking about deleting the video and rescinding the application so my name and face don't  get tarnished by a stupid decision. Getting old though so this is probably my last Alabama board I can be eligible to apply to. Really kicking myself for doing that I hope it doesn't ruin my chances but gosh damn what was I thinking?

11 minutes ago, Guy Sanchez said:

I'm thinking about deleting the video and rescinding the application so my name and face don't  get tarnished by a stupid decision. Getting old though so this is probably my last Alabama board I can be eligible to apply to. Really kicking myself for doing that I hope it doesn't ruin my chances but gosh damn what was I thinking?

Don’t do that. Submit an updated application if you have to but rescinding the whole thing isn’t the way to go. Even if you think the video hurts you, it’s not gonna hurt you as bad as having no video or application at all. 

Also if you’re worried about other units out there seeing it, you can change the privacy setting on there from public to “unlisted” so that only people with the link can see it. 

• Downvote 1