Upcoming Boards

1 hour ago, Seadogs said:

Sorry, shouldn't have worded it that way. Guess more of frustration than anything. Wasn't bashing on you John. The process is really grueling but I shouldn't let it get the best of me. 

No offense taken. Honestly there's not much you could say that would get under my skin. 

In one of my prior interviews at a unit outside of my own, there was a fellow applicant that offered a helping hand to anyone not familiar with the area. So, although I wish I could take credit for the idea, it definitely was not my own. Just trying to help others out on here the way they've helped me. 

Good luck with your quest for wings! 

Edited by John3806

34 minutes ago, John3806 said:

No offense taken. Honestly there's not much you could say that would get under my skin. 

In one of my prior interviews at a unit outside of my own, there was a fellow applicant that offered a helping hand to anyone not familiar with the area. So, although I wish I could take credit for the idea, it definitely was not my own. Just trying to help others out on the here the way that they've helped me. 

Good luck with your quest for wings! 

For sure, report back with good news. 

Hey guys, I know they just had a board this past spring, but does anyone know how often the DC ANG has UPT boards? I realize the answer is probably “as needed” but I didn’t know if there was any regularity to it. I’m just trying to plan ahead for this upcoming calendar year. 

1 hour ago, Hokie540 said:

Hey guys, I know they just had a board this past spring, but does anyone know how often the DC ANG has UPT boards? I realize the answer is probably “as needed” but I didn’t know if there was any regularity to it. I’m just trying to plan ahead for this upcoming calendar year. 

It seems to be spring of each year

Question for y'all folks who would have some idea as to this. How would you rate my resume's quality? 

• Class of 2018 B.A. in History (major California university) 3.0 GPA
  • 22 years old, male, clean medical and legal records
  • PCSM 80 (I got the same score on my second take)
  • CFI (highest scrutiny FAA certification), and am employed in actually teaching mortals to fly

I know my PCSM score isn't remarkable, but its not a poor score. Same for my GPA, I'm not a scholar but its a solid GPA. Given these two stats aren't anything special for me, and probably at the lower end of the range of consideration, what are my chances, particularly for a fighter unit? Being a CFI is certainly a better measure of aptitude for flight training than a standardized test, but will that bear out for me? Or is this an uphill battle? I have no expectations for anything, but think I should have a good chance, but don't know if I actually do... thanks

@Sopwith Camel FWIW I have a friend who got picked up as an alternate at a fighter unit with around the same scores and just a PPL.  He eventually got moved up as a primary after someone dropped months later and is now going to UPT.

I will echo what has been said on these forums many times by applicants and pilots alike who've gone through this process - go and visit, be a good dude, have a good attitude!  I haven't been selected myself but I've been applying for about a year - if you have any questions I'll do my best to help - feel free to DM.

Best of luck!

Edited by UPTapplicant2017
adding details
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

@Sopwith Camel I recently got picked up by a fighter unit with an 82 PCSM and a 2.56 GPA and first ever interview. I was also almost 28. It’s because I knew the pilots. I was told after the fact that guys with better scores got bumped out so I could get an interview and I had the lowest scores at the interview. It all comes down to knowing them. Contact a couple units you want to apply to and ask to go out there and get to know them. The longer they know you (and like you) the better chance you have.

You could try joining a unit too? Being a crew chief gives you a lot of exposure to the pilots, they can see how your attitude is and watch how you work. Also, everyone likes hiring from inside their own unit family. Just a thought.

• Upvote 3

On 9/10/2018 at 6:28 AM, Deuce362 said:

Seems likely they will have to push their board back a few weeks. Thanks for the update.

Just talked to the 76th our of mcguire. They are doing a joint board with the 78th. The new board date will be on November. The deadline for the 78th is some time in October.

• Downvote 1

15 minutes ago, KingKid said:

Why is it I can get interviews with fighter units but can't get picked up? I've interviewed with 15 fighter units and got alternated 4 times. WTF do I even do at this point? 

Do you get feedback from your interviews? If so, what do the units say when they give you feedback?