Upcoming Boards

1 hour ago, Cork said:

Does anyone know how often/how many 60 pilots they hire on a board? 

Probably not a statistic anyone tracks.  From the visits I have done and various units iv was in contact with while rushing, very few units have prior 60 drivers.  The unit that hired me, I’m pretty sure I’m the first Army RW guy to ever get hired.

5 hours ago, 08Dawg said:

Par for the course for them. They seem unwilling to pursue age waivers. 

Why would they? It might be happening but, just to remind everyone here, it's the exception, not the rule. So, unless your application is really awesome, most unit's probably aren't going to pursue one.

Scores really aren't enough on their own, either. When we get 100 applications, I would say at least half of them have really good scores. So now I need to find another way to pick 12 or so people to invite to an interview. So I read through maybe the top 20 or so based on scores, GPA, maybe some other factors, and really try to figure out what kind of person you are by reading your cover letter, your letters of recommendation, and seeing what you have accomplished over the years. Then, we'll narrow it down to a dozen people or so and send out invites.

My best advice is to try and find a way to make your application stand out and grab my attention. I honestly dont care how it's prepared but it should be neat and orderly, but no need to spend much money on it. It sucks when reading through the top 20 applications and they all read the same. Good scores, good GPA, and guess what? All letters of recommendation sound the same.

When reading your cover letter, I honestly don't care what you type about why you want to fly with us. It could all just be bullshit that you just researched online the night before. I think it'd be awesome to see a cover letter, in bullet format, telling me about all the cool things you have done, the stuff the doesn't have a place on a resume. The stories you would tell your bros over a beer. And don't be a douche.

These are all random thoughts after having a few beers. I encourage everyone to keep applying, no matter the odds. Age waivers are not common and I wouldn't expect a Squadron to be willing to work one, but you never know. You're application is really going to have to stand out and even then it's still a long shot. Use this information to make the best decision you can if you want to get in this business. Maybe the UPT ship has sailed, but there are other options out there that can still be pretty cool.

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, Kenny Powers said:

The stories you would tell your bros over a beer. 

My favorite story to tell my bros over a beer is about the time I had a drink unjustifiably thrown in my face by a girl at a lesbian bar. It’s a hilarious yarn. Should I replace my cover letter with this story? Serious question. I’m getting so tired of rejection letters despite my stats that I’m willing to try a Hail Mary just once. 

Edited by admdelta

8 hours ago, admdelta said:

My favorite story to tell my bros over a beer is about the time I had a drink unjustifiably thrown in my face by a girl at a lesbian bar. It’s a hilarious yarn. Should I replace my cover letter with this story? Serious question. I’m getting so tired of rejection letters despite my stats that I’m willing to try a Hail Mary just once. 

Maybe it’s not your stats that is the issue. Most units are looking at the whole person. Maybe you don’t interview well or not a fit with the units you’ve interviewed with. Try to learn something from each interview, ask for feedback, and try to improve on the areas where they felt you had a shortfall. Look internally and see what you can do to improve. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, admdelta said:

Maybe save the "Been rejected by a lesbian in a lesbian bar" story for when you are actually having beers.

You can PM me if you need feedback. I have reviewed your application in the past.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, herkbum said:

Maybe it’s not your stats that is the issue. Most units are looking at the whole person. Maybe you don’t interview well or not a fit with the units you’ve interviewed with. Try to learn something from each interview, ask for feedback, and try to improve on the areas where they felt you had a shortfall. Look internally and see what you can do to improve. 

I’ve never gotten an interview. 😕

14 minutes ago, Kenny Powers said:

Maybe save the "Been rejected by a lesbian in a lesbian bar" story for when you are actually having beers.

You can PM me if you need feedback. I have reviewed your application in the past.

Score. I’ve been asking for feedback from the units I’ve applied to and never heard back so I’ll shoot you a PM!

Though to be clear I was not rejected by the lesbian, haha. 

1 hour ago, Hopefulflyer389 said:

Did she become a lesbian after you two met? 😉

Haha no! She was just a random lady at the bar who got mad at me presumably because she thought I was hitting on her friend or something. I don’t wanna get kicked out of this thread for being off-topic though so I’ll just leave it at that for now lol. 

In any case I’ll leave that out of the cover letter then I suppose!

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, admdelta said:

I’ve never gotten an interview. 😕

Have you been to any of the meet and greets? I was picked up by an A-10 unit with probably the lowest scores at the interview. I also hear that a few people with better scores were left out of the interview process all together because I got one. Long story short, they bumped me into the interviews because they already knew me. They hired me because they liked me, not for the scores.

Get to know the guys at the units before you ever get to the interviews. You’ll interview a whole lot better and since they will already know you, you’ll have a leg up on the guys that they meet just the one day. Feel free to PM me for more details.

• Upvote 4

32 minutes ago, Kylrs said:

Have you been to any of the meet and greets? I was picked up by an A-10 unit with probably the lowest scores at the interview. I also hear that a few people with better scores were left out of the interview process all together because I got one. Long story short, they bumped me into the interviews because they already knew me. They hired me because they liked me, not for the scores.

Get to know the guys at the units before you ever get to the interviews. You’ll interview a whole lot better and since they will already know you, you’ll have a leg up on the guys that they meet just the one day. Feel free to PM me for more details.

So far I’ve been to two of them. The first one was super crowded (like 25 other applicant visitors) so it was tough competing for face time, plus the pilots were pretty busy that day. The second unit said no because I didn’t have my PPL yet but said to keep in touch once I do so I plan to visit again. The 179th didn’t allow any visitors though so I didn’t have an opportunity to meet any of them unfortunately, though I would have liked to. 

14 minutes ago, admdelta said:

The 179th didn’t allow any visitors though so I didn’t have an opportunity to meet any of them unfortunately, though I would have liked to. 

I’ve seen a few units like this. Does anyone have any suggestions of anything that can be done to set yourself apart when you aren’t allowed any face time?

Rushing the unit seems like such a major part of the process, that I’m not sure what to do to give myself a better chance with the units that don’t allow visitors.

For units that don't offer rushing, it can be a little harder to stand out. That said, it just puts it more on you to have a solid, squared-away packet that stands out. Have a good picture of your face. Even if they ask for full length, nothing says you can't have another of your mug to help make you recognizable if/when you do get invited to a meet and greet/rush weekend/interview. Honestly, I used my firehouse headshot with my helmet on. Cheesy, for sure, but it stood out and made me more recognizable as the old geezer fireman trying for a spot.

Make sure your resume looks professional. Have business-minded friends or colleagues look at it, or feel free to send it to me, if you want random stranger feedback on it. Include unofficial copies of your transcripts, any flying stuff you have, and your LoRs in the packet. Make sure it's all in one PDF and not multiple files.

Spend some serious time on your cover letter and, like your resume, have it proofread by friends/coworkers (or send it to me). It should have a little of everything; who you are, why you want to fly, why you want to fly for that specific squadron, and what kind of asset you want to be to your squadron after training. Keep it to one page.

Lastly, make contact with the hiring PoCs through phone or email (or both). They're getting blasted with packets from a bunch of people they don't know (who are probably blasting packets out to lots of squadrons themselves), so all you are is numbers and letters unless you make contact. Try to speak with other pilots to ask questions, express interest, and (without sounding like a bragging douche) talking a little about yourself to have them get to know you a little. The pilots will talk and, if they know who you are, I'm sure they can help the hiring board with input on who to invite for interviews. It'll also make it less awkward when you do show up if you have spoken with a few pilots in the squadron to strike up conversations.

Bottom line, you've gotta create your own luck and that's by putting in most of the heavy lifting yourself. You don't want to be psycho stalker level of bugging them, but you want to make sure you're making solid contacts and showing you're interested, if you can. The squeaky wheel getting the grease and all. Just sending your packet out and hoping the numbers and letters on the pages are enough to get you a job offer might not be enough when you have plenty of other solid candidates; you've got to have personality do some of the work. 

Good luck! 

• Upvote 4

9 hours ago, Dustoff! said:

@Deuce362Yeah man, nothing yet. They are still figuring out if they will have a combined board with the 78th or not. I'll let you know if I hear anything from them about timeline next weekend.

Seems likely they will have to push their board back a few weeks. Thanks for the update.

For any of you guys coming to Duluth this week for interviews, send me a PM if you have any questions on where to stay, places to eat, modes of transportation around Duluth, etc. I'm from the area and am a part of the 148th so I'd be glad to help out. 

For clarification, I am NOT on the board but am a UPT applicant just like everyone else here. Looking forward to throwing back some cold ones with you guys at the meet n' greet. :beer: 

12 hours ago, John3806 said:

For any of you guys coming to Duluth this week for interviews, send me a PM if you have any questions on where to stay, places to eat, modes of transportation around Duluth, etc. I'm from the area and am a part of the 148th so I'd be glad to help out. 

For clarification, I am NOT on the board but am a UPT applicant just like everyone else here. Looking forward to throwing back some cold ones with you guys at the meet n' greet. :beer: 

No offense but how did you get an interview and not me? 

• Downvote 5

32 minutes ago, Seadogs said:

No offense but how did you get an interview and not me? 

I mean just look at him

12 hours ago, John3806 said:

He is offering to help and you're asking why him and not you. That could be a hint? But besides that, it seems you both have similar scores and hours, with John being a prior service guy and possible at that squadron ( I hope I got that right?). That whole person concept seems to be swinging in his favor just based off that comment you made.  I didn't even apply to Duluth but now I wish I did so I would have a chance to meet John hahaha.

• Upvote 1