Upcoming Boards

2 hours ago, Petty Pilot 69 said:

Who else is embarrassed and insecure about their 2-3 minute video that the 176th required? I want to delete mine asap 😳

The thought of doing it made me put it off until early August but once I actually went through with it I enjoyed it. I don't like talking about myself especially on video but good things happen when you step outside your comfort zone. 

21 hours ago, John3806 said:

The thought of doing it made me put it off until early August but once I actually went through with it I enjoyed it. I don't like talking about myself especially on video but good things happen when you step outside your comfort zone. 

That feeling when you look at your video and the whole squadron down voted it 😰

• Like 1

On 8/15/2018 at 9:15 AM, Petty Pilot 69 said:

Who else is embarrassed and insecure about their 2-3 minute video that the 176th required? I want to delete mine asap 😳

Super. I actually decided to post it in the Pilot Network facebook group to get some feedback before I posted it and it was just an endless wave of "OMG SHAVE AND PULL THE STICK OUT OF YOUR ASS." 😞That said it was really good feedback.

How do you know they all downvoted you though??

9 hours ago, admdelta said:

Super. I actually decided to post it in the Pilot Network facebook group to get some feedback before I posted it and it was just an endless wave of "OMG SHAVE AND PULL THE STICK OUT OF YOUR ASS." 😞That said it was really good feedback.

How do you know they all downvoted you though??

I saw that post in the Pilot Network and read through all the comments too. Always good feedback on that site. You survived your first murder board! 

5 minutes ago, John3806 said:

I saw that post in the Pilot Network and read through all the comments too. Always good feedback on that site. You survived your first murder board! 

Sweet should I add that experience to my packages from now on? 😛

49 minutes ago, Adamw412 said:

Last week I got a big fat no for the 176/168th dual upt board in Alaska. To old, to low of a PCSM score. 

In this case how old is too old? Are they a hard 30? I was wanting to apply with them next time around since I missed this one and I'm 29.

@admdelta, YMMV, but I've gotten the impression that waivers up to 32 aren't considered as big of a deal, but you'll start to get fewer and fewer squadrons (especially fighters) seem that they want to mess with them over that age. 

At the end of the day, it's totally up to the squadron, so it's worth just applying anyway and let them tell you what they're willing to do. Worst they'll do is say no and you're out a little work of putting the application together, but at least you know for sure. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks everyone for the information. I just turned 30 a few days ago, and will be putting together a package and sending it out. It’s reassuring to know that waivers are a possibility. I would love fighters, but who wouldn’t, they are awesome. 

As soon as I get done with the AFOQT, TBAS, and PCSM I’ll know where I stand. Studying hard so that I can get the highest scores possible on the first try. I have a non STEM degree (Finance) with a less than stellar gpa, so I want to shoot for above 80 on all the AFOQT sections to account for that. I’m also going to start flight training soon, ideally I want to submit my package with the private and instrument certificates done to give myself the best chance possible. 

I also don’t know a single person in the Air Force, I’m in So Cal, so hopefully that doesn’t hurt me too much. I’ll of course be willing to relocate.  Anyways, love the forum, great information and it’s awesome to hear the success stories. 

Edited by gatsby

IMHO the best way to get a unit to push an age waiver package is for them to pick you in the first place. And for that to happen, they really need to know you. Not just a random package arriving in the mail. You really have to invest time and money hanging out with the squadron and getting to know them and them to know you for a unit wanting to stick their neck out for the waiver. They have to consciously decide that a 30 yr old is a better option than the 22 yr old. And if you guys look the same on paper, the unit will absolutely choose the younger option. Just my guess.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Deuce362 said:

Do they normally tell everyone at one time or is it sometimes spread out over a week or so?

Every board is different.

some contact everyone same day, others tell invitees first then later everyone else, some only communicate to the invitees and silence is your answer.

I asked a fighter who was standing near an F16 at the William J. Hughes Technical Center if he knew when the invitations would be going out. He said he wasn't on the boards but took my phone number and asked around when he went back to base. I got a text later in the day. I heard the 177th sends emails and phone calls out either way (Interview or not) I haven't heard formally yet. I'll get my CPL and apply again next year. Getting older though. I'l be 28 in April.