Upcoming Boards

On 3/13/2018 at 7:38 PM, va121mir said:

@mb1685  The march board did not take unsponsored. The one in may should take unsponsored again but if you get selected you will be put "backup" list and will not go to upt until you get a unit to sponsor you. This is per the january board release message. As far as waivers, AFRC said they will not take anybody needing a waiver unsponsored. If you want the contact info for the guys running the board at AFRC let me know and I can send it to you.

Pardon me for quoting a few pages back, but I'm looking at the possibility of applying to future AFRC boards (maybe September or so) as an unsponsored candidate if I can't secure a sponsored slot somewhere, but I'm unsure of my ability to do so based on this info.

As it is now, my eyesight is disqualifying, but barely waiverable (nearsighted). And if I go get LASIK to make absolutely sure that I'm within refractive error limits, I need a LASIK waiver. Does this situation mean that I will not be allowed to apply unsponsored, or was that info specific to age waivers? And, if it does apply to all waivers, will the same apply to future boards, to your knowledge?

Edited by dsharpless

@dsharpless The board in May is supposed to take unsponsored candidates. Not sure about boards after as AFRC has not stated if they will or not. According to the AFRC UPT application guide you need to have your IFC1 medical approved before applying. I know last year AFRC had some funds to send ppl to Wright Pat to get their medical done before the board. Another option is for you to pay the expenses yourself to get the medical done at Wright Pat. Either would have to be coordinated with your recruiter if you are currently not in the military. 

As for the waivers question, I believe this applies to age/moral/commissioned service waivers, but dont quote me on this. In my mind, if you get your IFC1 signed off (even with waivers) you should be able to apply unsponsored. I would verify this with your recruiter and his chain of command.

@va121mir About the waivers, I'd have to agree, that makes sense, but I'll find a way to confirm that before getting too far into the process--if there are any unsponsored boards subsequent to the May board this year. 

And about the IFC1, thanks for that info. I was unaware of the requirement and the option to pay my own way to make that happen. 

Thanks for your help!

3 minutes ago, dsharpless said:

@va121mir About the waivers, I'd have to agree, that makes sense, but I'll find a way to confirm that before getting too far into the process--if there are any unsponsored boards subsequent to the May board this year. 

And about the IFC1, thanks for that info. I was unaware of the requirement and the option to pay my own way to make that happen. 

Thanks for your help!

I have found that there are many work arounds that recruiters do not know or do not tell people about.

Excellent advice, thank you. Having worked with a couple of recruiters now I think I've begun to develop a sense for when he/she doesn't know something. Got that feeling today talking about waivers, unsponsored boards, etc. 

Edited by dsharpless

You can submit a packet to the AFRC board with only a MEPS physical. That’s what I (and several people I know) have done. I know one unsponsored guy from a recent board did his FC1 after the board convened. I did my FC1 right before the board (after my stuff was submitted), but results werent back until after the board (my MEPS physical sufficed).

My fighter unit picked someone up who was unsponsored. He hadn’t started anything yet, and they just changed his track from T1s to T38s. There are other guys who have made their way into T38s unsponsored, but it’s rare. One posts on here sometimes and may chime in, but he had a background different than most. But you can apply unsponsored, then keep rushing fighter units and hope to get picked up. Caveat: there are not that many reserve fighter units, so if they aren’t hiring or they don’t hire you, you will most likely be stuck with heavies, unless you can make a drug deal somehow along the way.  

I have heard of unsponsored guys being shit hot in T6s, getting moved to T38s, FAIPing and then getting a fighter unit.

Prior T-6 Flight Commander here...about 3/4s of this is reasonable, but the FAIP portion sounds sketchy. Do you know which base?

We have had very good guard and reserve students who were destined for a heavy unit that we fought to get T-38s for. In each case they were at the top of the class and had fantastic attitudes. A lot has to line up for this to work. So, just to manage everyone’s expectations:

1) The gaining guard/reserve unit has to like the idea.
2) They have to like it enough that they would bug the NGB/AFRC about it to get the slot and get it paid for.
3) NGB/AFRC has to approve it.
4) The T-38 squadron also may have a say...as far as I know they are maxing out what they can take already.
5) Assuming that all this happens, it is almost certain you will still fly what you were hired to fly...you just will have gone through T-38s instead.
5.1) The only exception was an outstanding dude who was going to fly KC-135s in HI...HI ANG approved the switch to T-38s and a chance at the F-22, in HI. Not many other places where this sort of opportunity is even an option, so this was more like a one-in-million. “So you’re saying there’s a chance...”

Lastly, we will approach you if we think the opportunity is there and if we think you can hack it. Just like everything else in UPT, keep your head down, do your best, and take care of others.

Chairfly, study hard, cya.
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Dapper Dan Man said:

Prior T-6 Flight Commander here...about 3/4s of this is reasonable, but the FAIP portion sounds sketchy. Do you know which base?

We have had very good guard and reserve students who were destined for a heavy unit that we fought to get T-38s for. In each case they were at the top of the class and had fantastic attitudes. A lot has to line up for this to work. So, just to manage everyone’s expectations:

1) The gaining guard/reserve unit has to like the idea.
2) They have to like it enough that they would bug the NGB/AFRC about it to get the slot and get it paid for.
3) NGB/AFRC has to approve it.
4) The T-38 squadron also may have a say...as far as I know they are maxing out what they can take already.
5) Assuming that all this happens, it is almost certain you will still fly what you were hired to fly...you just will have gone through T-38s instead.
5.1) The only exception was an outstanding dude who was going to fly KC-135s in HI...HI ANG approved the switch to T-38s and a chance at the F-22, in HI. Not many other places where this sort of opportunity is even an option, so this was more like a one-in-million. “So you’re saying there’s a chance...”

Lastly, we will approach you if we think the opportunity is there and if we think you can hack it. Just like everything else in UPT, keep your head down, do your best, and take care of others.

Chairfly, study hard, cya.

And further down the hallway we tried to do that with the other HIANG guy slated for T-1s who was #1 in T-6s right after y'all did. The ANGB said pound sand we already did it once.

As for the T-38 "FAIP"ing in the reserves, it has happened exactly once. Laughlin did that with a non-rated major and they are always hurting for AGRs.

http://www.919sow.afrc.af.mil/News/Article-Display/Article/1160980/reserve-student-pilot-chosen-for-instructor-duties/

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dapper Dan Man said:

Any idea if he went 22s? The guy i know whom is the guy you’re probably talking about did in fact stay on the 135. Shook his hand at their Sq bar a couple months back.

Takeaway for @va121mir...possible to track to 38s but then have internal politics prevent becoming a “fighter pilot.”

but like stated, this is probably only feasible at the HIANG or DCANG and possibly Ft Worth with heavy/fighter units colocated.