Upcoming Boards

3 hours ago, Herk Driver said:

Just dug up the info today. For the upcoming AFRC board, packages were due 28 April. There is a new AFRC UPT process guidebook that was published on 1 March 17.

Thanks. My recruiter sent my package in on May 1, so hopefully I don't miss this round. He didn't seem to think there was a problem.

On 5/1/2017 at 1:53 PM, Edw26 said:

I sent emails to two different contacts over there and haven't yet gotten a response. If you get it let me know and I'll do the same.

Just got an email today from them. Did you?

Anyone have any insight on the minimum PCSM score and/or minimum amount of flight time it takes for a fighter unit to consider you (assuming the rest of your package is high quality)? I'll have 21 hours next week and a PCSM of 80, but that's all I'll be able to afford for a really long time. Obviously I'm going to apply for the boards that interest me no matter what, but do guys without PPLs (at a minimum) and 90+ PCSM scores really stand much of a chance?

Edited by mb1685

7 minutes ago, Kiloalpha said:

The official line is that it's a whole person concept. However, I noticed a huge jump in interviews when I crested 90 on my PCSM. I also tried to get time in different aircraft. Have you retaken the TBAS?

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network Forums

Yep, I retook it last week and my score went up 8 points. I've also taken the AFOQT twice so I'll have to live with my current Pilot score of 92.

Since I'm not following a structured PPL curriculum, I've tried to diversify aircraft experience a little bit too. I've got some time in Skyhawks, Tomahawks, and Katanas.

Edited by mb1685

56 minutes ago, mb1685 said:

but do guys without PPLs (at a minimum) and 90+ PCSM scores really stand much of a chance?

I interviewed and made friends with some folks on the trail last year. The only ones hired had PPLs and the others were told to get their PPL and apply again next year. One friend gets invited to every interview but doesn't have a PPL so he doesn't stack up to the competition in the final decision. The other friend went to an interview with a unit that had an "algorithm" and they disqualified him because he (at the time) didn't have a PPL... even though he was their favorite candidate! Anecdotal evidence but I hope I'm wrong.

• Upvote 2

From a guy who got hired a few years ago, and has sat as a member of a hiring board a word on the PCSM and PPL.

1 - The PCSM is an aggregate test produced by the Air Force.  A few years ago the AF did an assessment of it's value.  Roughly, your final PCSM equates to your percentage chance of making it through UPT.  I.E if you got a 92 PCSM, you have a 92% chance of graduating.  If you're a 70 PCSM, what's your chances?

2 - We're making an investment in you.  Not necessarily a financial one, but a timeline one. We need you back in a little over 2+ years. Your PCSM, hours, PPL are a small part of our mental equation of you achieving that timeline (or graduating period) for us.

3 - I didn't have a PPL when I got hired, some did.  It probably helps, but is not necessarily required. Most units don't want a financial barrier and or burden predicated on their membership. However, it raises your PCSM, shows you have been introduced to flying and enjoy it enough to continue.

4 - In summary, maybe your PCSM is good enough, maybe your hour rating/PPL is good enough.  Consider this - Is there somebody I want to get hired more than me? If not, then why are you letting them have a better packet than you?

Best of luck!

• Upvote 4

On 5/6/2017 at 9:42 PM, Crosswind said:

1 - The PCSM is an aggregate test produced by the Air Force.  A few years ago the AF did an assessment of it's value.  Roughly, your final PCSM equates to your percentage chance of making it through UPT.  I.E if you got a 92 PCSM, you have a 92% chance of graduating.  If you're a 70 PCSM, what's your chances?

Pilot Candidate Selection Method: Still an Effective Predictor of US Air Force Pilot Training Performance, Thomas R. Carretta, 2011 (behind a paywall, I was able to get to it via my alma mater)

US Air Force Pilot Selection and Training Methods, Thomas R. Carretta, 2000 (in dtic.mil)

T-37 Grad %.JPG

T-6 Grad %.JPG

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, FoxtrotNovemberGolf said:

Pilot Candidate Selection Method: Still an Effective Predictor of US Air Force Pilot Training Performance, Thomas R. Carretta, 2011 (behind a paywall, I was able to get to it via my alma mater)

US Air Force Pilot Selection and Training Methods, Thomas R. Carretta, 2000 (in dtic.mil)

T-37 Grad %.JPG

T-6 Grad %.JPG

I have a hard time believing the PCSM is that cosmic of a predictor. The first time I took the TBAS I got a 69 and the second time I got like a 96 and the only reason why was because I knew what was coming... Idk, just my .02

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, topdeadcenter said:

I have a hard time believing the PCSM is that cosmic of a predictor. The first time I took the TBAS I got a 69 and the second time I got like a 96 and the only reason why was because I knew what was coming... Idk, just my .02

Was that pre-2013? That's probably why they updated the algorithm to weigh flight hours so heavily. It does seem to make more sense for flight time to be a much more significant predictor of success than mainly just the AFOQT and the TBAS.

19 hours ago, FoxtrotNovemberGolf said:

This is Carretta's most recent research. He's using the data collected from the MFS cognitive tests. It's also comparing SUPT bases, T-1 vs T-38 track. This paper is full of interesting info.

http://www.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc?AD=ADA608732

This is his most recent. More useful for aviators having to retake MAB and NEO tests to resume flying status, but it's interesting to see the baseline mil pilot character traits. If anyone needs to see it without access to a school or research account let me know

http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/asma/amhp/2016/00000087/00000009/art00003

Edited by Bobsan

2 hours ago, Edw26 said:

Just in case anyone missed it, 158th FW (VT F-35s) interview non-select notices went out yesterday.

Paper mail notifications?  Any idea when the interview selects will be notified?

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, jonlbs said:

http://www.167aw.ang.af.mil/Units/Careers/

304-616-5369

Honestly if I didn't have like 50 other boards on my plate I'd call and ask. But ya that's the officer recruiters number, Master Sgt Rhodes, just give him (oops I assumed gender... the training didn't work) a call and just ask if they are having a board. Yet to meet a mean recruiter and I've found some places have boards and don't advertise them as well as others so. 

Good Luck.

Thank you for that sir.  I will give him/her a call on Monday.  Now, just have to focus on the AFOQT.

Regards,

Rob

Anybody have updates on the following? I would think that there would be more activity at this point since selections for slots or interviews should have happened at this point...is everyone just too shy to post?

• CA F-15s - selections should have happened
  • SD F-16s - selections should have happened
  • DC F-16 - selections should have happened
  • VT, HI, & SC interview selects should have happened

2 minutes ago, Kiloalpha said:

CA - Done. Reject/Selection e-mails were sent.
SD - Done. Reject/Selection letters were sent.
DC - Still waiting for final selection/rejection.
VT - Interviews are next week.
HI - Interviews are next week.
SC - Still waiting to hear who got interviews.

thanks for the updates!