Upcoming Boards

Just got off the phone with a Reserves recruiter. She told me point-blank that no Reserve fighter units are hiring (i.e., Hill AFB, UT or Homestead AFB, FL - both F-16). I'm guessing this means Elmendorf, AK (F-22's) and Carswell NAS/JRB, TX (F-16) are not as well.

She did say if I wanted to fly Reserves, these are the units hurting for pilots:

Westover AFB, MA (C-5's)
Pittsburgh ARS, PA (C-130's)
Dover AFB, DE (C-17's, C-5's)

If this info is true, I guess ANG / AD is the only way to go if your heart is set on fighters? Obviously not a guarantee either way, but I'd like a chance.

She encouraged me to send in letters to get interviews, but mentioned that the Reserves only hold boards in May and November, and that I would need to have interviewed with a unit and gotten sponsorship. She said that if a unit told me I would have to apply unsponsored, I should just forget about applying... and that even if a Reserve fighter unit had an opening, I shouldn't waste my time applying - because the slot would go to the son of a General or something. :bash: If any of this sounds fishy, please correct me / her.

6 hours ago, Sit On Acorns said:

DC is doing Round 1 of interviews via Skype yesterday and today. 10 minute video interview. ~10 of the ~20 people interviewed will go on to the in person interviews May 6.

Did you conduct a Skype interview?

Thanks for the info. I wondered why I wasn't seeing much in the way of Reserves discussion on this board. There don't seem to be many ANG opportunities in Virginia (where I currently live). I'm not sure how viable it would be for me to relocate to a state to be in an ANG unit. Do units offer any kind of help with that? Sorry if this is a dumb question.

17 hours ago, Rycast said:

Thanks for the info. I wondered why I wasn't seeing much in the way of Reserves discussion on this board. There don't seem to be many ANG opportunities in Virginia (where I currently live). I'm not sure how viable it would be for me to relocate to a state to be in an ANG unit. Do units offer any kind of help with that? Sorry if this is a dumb question.

It seems like you want location over mission/airframe. If that's true, I think you should put maximum effort into visiting the guard units around your location. If you're not having any success and you're running out of time, apply for the unsponsored board, fly your a$$ off, and put units close to you at the top of your list. Hopefully someone who has gone the unsponsored route will chime in.

1 hour ago, tk1313 said:

It seems like you want location over mission/airframe. If that's true, I think you should put maximum effort into visiting the guard units around your location. If you're not having any success and you're running out of time, apply for the unsponsored board, fly your a$$ off, and put units close to you at the top of your list. Hopefully someone who has gone the unsponsored route will chime in.

I have been informed that the unsponsored route isn't an option any more by the local recruiter. Did someone else tell you differently or is the recruiter I talked to just another not knowing type?

6 minutes ago, Hopefulflyer389 said:

I have been informed that the unsponsored route isn't an option any more by the local recruiter. Did someone else tell you differently or is the recruiter I talked to just another not knowing type?

Not true according to the recruiter I'm currently working with.

Just now, Hopefulflyer389 said:

A guy I know who got picked up very late last year to fly fighters for his reserve unit was describing the program to me. He basically said if you want to fly fighters it might not be the best route, but that out of the 2 or 3 guys he knows who have done it, each got picked up by a unit in their top 5 choices (non-fighters). I thought the unsponsored boards was a fairly new thing.

19 hours ago, Herk Driver said:

There are no more unsponsored boards (my info is a couple of weeks old and subject to change). Also, maybe already mentioned but AFRC boards are going to be every 6 weeks or so...starting soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network Forums

Does having a board every six weeks provide more sponsorship opportunities or simply process selected applicants faster?  

Is there any chance of the 192nd FW hiring, ever? Because they're right on my doorstep... and they fly F-22's...

Should I call these people, or am I wasting my time and theirs?

Location isn't the end-all for me. I do have this conception (perhaps incorrect) that it would be a lot easier to go AD and get paid to go anywhere they tell me, whereas if I go to a specific base for ANG / Reserves, I'd have to pay my own way to get there and have to worry about getting a day job at the new location. I can totally understand doing that to fly fighters, but ANG doesn't really pay much, correct? So if I go that route, I've got to forget doing this as a career?

Does anyone know when the deadline is for the upcoming AFRC rated board is? I know it's soon if it hasn't already passed, and I'm trying to ensure my recruiter gets everything in on time. Haven't been able to make contact with him for a bit, so I'm just getting nervous that I'm gonna miss it and end up waiting an extra six months for the next board.

Does anyone know when the deadline is for the upcoming AFRC rated board is? I know it's soon if it hasn't already passed, and I'm trying to ensure my recruiter gets everything in on time. Haven't been able to make contact with him for a bit, so I'm just getting nervous that I'm gonna miss it and end up waiting an extra six months for the next board.

Soon AFRC will have a board every ~6 weeks or so. Not sure exactly when that starts but it has already been approved, from what I am told.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, ryleypav said:

Anyone have a copy of the Aircrew Applicant Questionnaire for the Selfridge KC-135s?

I sent emails to two different contacts over there and haven't yet gotten a response. If you get it let me know and I'll do the same.

My info is a year or so old... But it's correct. I called every fighter unit in the Reserves and I talked to some awesome pilots while I was looking at the Reserves and none of those units were hiring. The B-52 unit in Barksdale was an exception apparently, as my recruiter said they were hiring at some point. Most units told me straight-up that they don't hire off the street, only prior-service. If you want to tread that Reserve path, I'd recommend finding the Officer Accessions Recruiter (OAR) near the units you're talking about. In my case, I wasn't near any and my recruiter didn't have any contact info for them. I called the OAR covering Utah for instance... and he was able to give me contact info for the Fighter unit there. Same for TX, etc.
The only fighter unit that has hired off the street was the A-10s at Whiteman/Moody. They posted an opening last year or so on guardreservejobs.com.
Don't fall into the unsponsored nonsense. If you just want to fly heavies in the Reserves and don't care where? It's a hell of a program. Those of us chasing pointy jets? Nope. 

Hill does hire off the street. If you would like an email of someone who was an off the street hire pm me.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Just dug up the info today. For the upcoming AFRC board, packages were due 28 April. There is a new AFRC UPT process guidebook that was published on 1 March 17.

I will try to post it here later. It's on a sharepoint and I don't think the link will work..