Upcoming Boards

Nice! you got selected for 3 interviews! (look at the bright side)

ahh, no...haha i got three nopes for interviews, including one i rushed. should have been more clear.

don't want to clog up this thread but the feedback is the same "you're not done your bachlor's, you're old, no ppl, you live too far"

ad board coming up, units i really like the locals and airframes coming too. head is down, movement is forward.

question: would a letter of introduction, one were i can possibly mitigate potential concerns with my package, be inappropriate?

Edited by 12xu2a3x3

ahh, no...haha i got three nopes for interviews, including one i rushed. should have been more clear.

don't want to clog up this thread but the feedback is the same "you're not done your bachlor's, you're old, no ppl, you live too far"

ad board coming up, units i really like the locals and airframes coming too. head is down, movement is forward.

question: would a letter of introduction, one were i can possibly mitigate potential concerns with my package, be inappropriate?

If you have no cover letter ya you should definitely have one. But if you already have a cover letter talk about those things. Maybe include how you may not have your PPL but have tried/prove to them you love flying and its what you want to do. Prove to them that their unit is where you want to be whether you live 1000 miles away. If you don't got your bachelors tell em you have been working for the last however years (while on AD?) and this has been your goal the whole time. The cover letter is your time to show who you are and what you got.

Other than that don't worry I got shitty luck too but nothing is going to keep me from stopping until I get a pilot slot.

Edited by Sankacoffie

Take it for what it's worth, because I'm still trying to break through and get picked up somewhere too. But every package I've submitted thus far has included a cover letter/letter of introduction, even if the req's did not specifically call it out.

Just a basic overview of who you are and why you want to do this, your background, where you're at in life re: education/civilian or military employment/any flight experience, etc. You just want the person/people going through your package to get an idea of who you are and what you're about beyond a couple of test scores, transcripts, etc. That's how I look at it anyway.

Honestly I'm not sure if it's better to acknowledge weak points and address them, or just hit the high points and emphasize them...I guess it's a fine line and probably just depends on who's reading it. Someone who's actually sat on the other side of the table could probably speak to this better.

If you have anything you feel might be questionable about your own package, the board will definitely notice. Address problem areas like Sanka said and be honest. It's kind of like that interview question about your weaknesses; try to find a way to address the issues, but with a positive spin. It takes finesse and a bit of "wordsmithery", but it's is doable as long as the problem isn't a major cause for concern.

If you have no cover letter ya you should definitely have one. But if you already have a cover letter talk about those things. Maybe include how you may not have your PPL but have tried/prove to them you love flying and its what you want to do. Prove to them that their unit is where you want to be whether you live 1000 miles away. If you don't got your bachelors tell em you have been working for the last however years (while on AD?) and this has been your goal the whole time. The cover letter is your time to show who you are and what you got.

Other than that don't worry I got shitty luck too but nothing is going to keep me from stopping until I get a pilot slot.

got it. I always put a cover letter but stopped adding a letter of introduction on the advice of a friend who got picked up, albeit by our unit. not active duty, full time guard dude. and hell yes on the attitude.

Take it for what it's worth, because I'm still trying to break through and get picked up somewhere too. But every package I've submitted thus far has included a cover letter/letter of introduction, even if the req's did not specifically call it out.

Just a basic overview of who you are and why you want to do this, your background, where you're at in life re: education/civilian or military employment/any flight experience, etc. You just want the person/people going through your package to get an idea of who you are and what you're about beyond a couple of test scores, transcripts, etc. That's how I look at it anyway.

Honestly I'm not sure if it's better to acknowledge weak points and address them, or just hit the high points and emphasize them...I guess it's a fine line and probably just depends on who's reading it. Someone who's actually sat on the other side of the table could probably speak to this better.

that was the other thing that help me up, been trying to meet that application requirements to a to a T: see: letter no asked for = letter no sent. bad call

If you have anything you feel might be questionable about your own package, the board will definitely notice. Address problem areas like Sanka said and be honest. It's kind of like that interview question about your weaknesses; try to find a way to address the issues, but with a positive spin. It takes finesse and a bit of "wordsmithery", but it's is doable as long as the problem isn't a major cause for concern.

can do.

i may have made a mistake when i selected to be considered for a CSO slot for the active duty board, rendering all of the effort meaningless if i get selected. if i get picked up for it, i'm going to lean into and be the best nav i can, even if it's not where i want to be.

going to head out to Michigan to meet the 107th, even though i got turned down for the board. the a-10 community is something else, it's a ton of fun and has gouge for days.

EDIT: got hired by AD, none of this matters

Edited by 12xu2a3x3

• 2 weeks later...

all FYI 106th rescue wing.... hiring ... looking for CRO's HH60's pilots and HC-130 as well as flight surgeons ...... take look at their website scroll down.... at careers ....

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

The Indiana ANG's 122FW / 163FS Blacksnakes (Fort Wayne), will be hosting an UPT Board Sept 2015. Deadline for Applications is June 30, 2015. UPT board is for possible FY17 UPT slot(s). For more info please, go to the 122FW base website for application instructions, contact info, etc., at:

http://www.122fw.ang.af.mil/careers/ (learn more)

Be sure to have a complete application as incomplete apps will not be accepted. Email questions to upt.application@gmail.com.

If you are already a Rated Pilot looking to get picked up as either a Traditional Guardsmen or AGR/Technician, this is not the board for you. Please call 260-478-3302 for more info for that.

I am a hit and run forum poster so any questions about this post won't be answered here. The email above is the best point of contact for any questions. Thanks for your time.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey I think i'm like most of ya'll fresh out of school and looking to get a pilot slot in the guard, after going through a couple interviews I've realized I'm not the only one who's noticed that finding out about the boards is more than half the effort. I've put together a simple cut and dry google drive spreadsheet with only information about upcoming boards. If any of you are seriously and interested send me a private message and i'll add you to it.

Hey I think i'm like most of ya'll fresh out of school and looking to get a pilot slot in the guard, after going through a couple interviews I've realized I'm not the only one who's noticed that finding out about the boards is more than half the effort. I've put together a simple cut and dry google drive spreadsheet with only information about upcoming boards. If any of you are seriously and interested send me a private message and i'll add you to it.

Most everyone on this forum/thread is serious and interested in upcoming boards information. Help your bros out and just post the information on the thread. Sharing is caring.

• 2 weeks later...