Upcoming Boards

On 12/26/2019 at 10:31 PM, goodflightcowboy said:

I doubt this has changed, but last year they wanted one application to the ORANG. The board is a room split 1/2 and 1/2 guys from each unit.

Can confirm that this hasn’t changed. One package goes to both units. 

Anybody going to the Memphis UPT board in Feb?
Did they finally start hiring off the street?

When I spoke to them years ago, they said they only hired from within. I've never even seen info about a board.

If you're interviewing, good luck! Memphis is a much better town that people give it credit for. A TON of great food.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Baseops Network mobile app

1 hour ago, N730 said:

Did they finally start hiring off the street?

When I spoke to them years ago, they said they only hired from within. I've never even seen info about a board.

If you're interviewing, good luck! Memphis is a much better town that people give it credit for. A TON of great food.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Baseops Network mobile app

I don't know. I called, got an application and now have an interview in Feb. Granted, I'm current military but not Air Force. Cheers for the luck, I need it!

Going off my previous post here. Do you guys think its not a good use of time interviewing with a unit that gives preference to those within their organization? As much as I want to attend every interview, time and cost are not expendable especially already being in the military myself.

26 minutes ago, CavGuy said:

Going off my previous post here. Do you guys think its not a good use of time interviewing with a unit that gives preference to those within their organization? As much as I want to attend every interview, time and cost are not expendable especially already being in the military myself.

I think interviewing with any unit that you can see yourself flying with long term is a good use of time. 

If there's one thing that holds true (in my opinion) throughout this process, it's that we as applicants have absolutely no clue what any given unit is looking for. Don't handicap yourself by not taking an interview simply because you think you'd have less of a chance.  

That being said, if you've been offered two interviews at units you like equally, of course, choose the one that you think you have a better shot at. But don't sell short the opportunity to get a slot simply because of message boards or rumors. We have no clue what they're looking for. 

Addendum... especially somewhere like Memphis. The food, music and culture of that town rocks, and if civilian flying is your thing, you're already living in base. 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, CavGuy said:

I don't know. I called, got an application and now have an interview in Feb. Granted, I'm current military but not Air Force. Cheers for the luck, I need it!

Awesome! Congrats, and good on you for taking the initiative!

12 hours ago, CavGuy said:

Absolutely not a waste of time. Every unit seems to give preference to their internal guys, they've worked in the unit and have interacted with the pilots. They've been able to see their work ethic in a lot instances. But if they weren't interested, they wouldn't have invited you to interview. And if they weren't open to outside candidates, they would not have sent you an application.

Like I said, I knew someone in the unit and was able to visit right after they got their C-17s. I was just trying to get an understanding of what the guard was and how it worked. Just in conversation, I was told numerous times that I'd have to enlist and work in the unit before they'd consider me. So I'd imagine you'd have gotten the same response if they weren't going to give consideration to outside applicants.

Plus, even if you aren't hired, an interview is great experience. I got picked up on my second interview and credit a lot of the success to having real guard interview experience.

• Upvote 1

Thank you both for the words of encouragement, I do feel better about it now. I should have elaborated that on the application, it physically says preference is first given to current unit members, hence my apprehension. It is my dream unit though due to the location and a certain cargo airline connection as goodflightcowboy mentioned.

I'm at a weird point right now. I got picked up in 2014 with a unit at my first interview. Due to a med issue that no longer is a problem, I can now fly in the AF. I will now be on my third interview this time around and anxious doesn't begin to describe how much I want to begin flying in the AF. I think its harder knowing I had a taste of it before, but couldn't continue at the time.

Anybody heard from Wisconsin yet? Feeling anxious about the lack of response...

I know of three people who got a phone call yesterday for an invite. (Myself not included unfortunately)
You never know, could be doing more phone calls but I am currently just waiting for the “thanks for applying” e-mail and hoping to get some solid feedback to keep making stronger applications in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Tommy Boy said:

I know of three people who got a phone call yesterday for an invite. (Myself not included unfortunately)
You never know, could be doing more phone calls but I am currently just waiting for the “thanks for applying” e-mail and hoping to get some solid feedback to keep making stronger applications in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

Thanks for the info. Better luck to us both next time...

14 hours ago, tarheelaviator said:

Anyone shooting for the 101st Rescue Squadron board in NY or know if they are having an open house?  I tried to see if they were having a visit day during their drill weekend but couldn't get past the gatekeepers this morning.  

The person I talked to said they are having a meet and greet the day before the board in march

24 minutes ago, ihtbasitc said:

The person I talked to said they are having a meet and greet the day before the board in march

Yeah but the guy I spoke with on the phone said verbatim it was only for applicants selected for interviews.  Getting conflicting info.  

Edited by tarheelaviator