Upcoming Boards

I just seen the 117th ARS is holding a board on the 4th and 5th of October for FY16.

Applications may be submitted in person, by mail, or email to:

117ARS: SUPT APPLICATION

5920 SE COYOTE DRIVE

FORBES FIELD (ANG) TOPEKA, KS 66619-5370

117ars.og@ang.af.mil

Contact information:

190 ARW Recruiting: (785) 861-4292/4293

117 ARS: (785)861-4670/4641

With a November hire, it'd be pretty difficult to complete all the necessary steps, get commissioned, and get a UPT slot before FY15 ends, especially w/ the backlog of UPT slots. Not impossible, but very very difficult.

I noticed that they say you will immediately go for you flight physical after you are selected. I was selected a few months ago by my unit and haven't even sworn in yet let alone had my flight physical. Fresno may do this for every new hire regardless but that's moving pretty quick in my opinion, it could happen FY15 if they move that quick on all steps in the process.

I noticed that they say you will immediately go for you flight physical after you are selected. I was selected a few months ago by my unit and haven't even sworn in yet let alone had my flight physical. Fresno may do this for every new hire regardless but that's moving pretty quick in my opinion, it could happen FY15 if they move that quick on all steps in the process.

i agree, oct is my FC1/MFS and im looking at jan-march for AMS, sounds like they are trying to squeeze in :)

i agree, oct is my FC1/MFS and im looking at jan-march for AMS, sounds like they are trying to squeeze in :)

FWIW - I think their website has always said that

Heard from the 106th RW today, got an HH-60 slot!

I'm really glad to see you got a slot man, I've seen you post on here for a while. You definitely deserve it. While you're at Rucker don't forget to check out Destin beach and the Naval Air Museum in Pensacola.

164th AW (C-17s) in Memphis, TN just announced a vacancy

All New York Units have openings (Schenectady will be posting one in the next few days), check http://dmna.ny.gov/jobs/?id=air for the announcements.

Where'd you find the 164th opening? I didn't see it on their .mil or usajobs

BDJ is Prior service. Might be internal posting..

Ewok, if you're interested, try calling Memphis. I can't remember the guy's name, but they have a helpful group.

Posted from the NEW Baseops.net App!

I called the 164th AW Recruiting Office looking to get POC info for the UPT guy. I spoke to a recruiter who informed me that they ONLY hire from within and civilian applicants are not accepted… Any truth in this or should I try to step around the recruiter? If anyone has a good POC for them, please PM me. Thanks

I got an email back today, "The current UPT board is restricted to current TN ANG members only." Not too sure of the legalities of this but these are the facts.

EDIT: Read a little further and found the answer to my own question. Good to know

Edited by SimpleJack

They might only hire within who knows, you set on air lift because i know the CANG F15 unit just announced a board

Yeah, I am leaning towards airlift but will be applying to the 144th FW as well as they are only about a 3 hrs drive from me… and lets face it, who wouldn't want to fly the eagle?

… and lets face it, who wouldn't want to fly the eagle?

haha thats a whole 'nother discussion my friend...

the best i can say is trying to get into contact with one of the dudes running the board.

last resort, a written letter addressed to the wing commander couldn't hurt?

Wrong route to take. Stick to contacting board POC's as designated in instructions on unit website.

I get where your coming from, but the recruiter runaround can get frustrating if your not being given good information. Often times most of the units dont list who the POC for UPT boards is on their website, but you go here or wantscheck and BAM they list the guys running it.

I guess i dont see how a smartly worded snail mail letter would hurt. Wing CCs are people too, everyone likes getting letters ;)

Son, listen.

Do. Not. Do. That.

The best way to get the info you need is to pick up the phone, call the ops desk, and POLITELY ask to speak to the UPT board POC. It is usually a Lt. or Capt. You are going to have to do some legwork and it will require using the gray matter between your ears. There is no free lunch, you want to go to pilot training? Put the work in.

a written letter addressed to the wing commander couldn't hurt?

Yes, that's it. Start your military career off by going straight to the man.

I get where your coming from, but the recruiter runaround can get frustrating if your not being given good information. Often times most of the units dont list who the POC for UPT boards is on their website, but you go here or wantscheck and BAM they list the guys running it.

I guess i dont see how a smartly worded snail mail letter would hurt. Wing CCs are people too, everyone likes getting letters ;)

Yes, but you are not on their level. Wing CC's appoint appropriate positions within the wing/squadron to administer the hiring boards and make recommendations on who to hire. There is a process in place. What makes you think you are special enough to contact the man directly and circumvent his process for filling vacancies? You might as well spit in the face of those running the board. Going around them for your perceived benefit sends the same message. Depending on how the boss is feeling that day when he gets your letter may actually do more harm than good. Use the tips others have mentioned above. The absolute best way to gain a UPT slot is to go to the SQ and hang out. Meet the bros you will be flying with. You will benefit both in the hiring process and in the process of finding the unit/airframe you truly want to fly. Just a thought FWIW.

Edited by summe32c

Yes, that's it. Start your military career off by going straight to the man.

Yes, but you are not on their level. Wing CC's appoint appropriate positions within the wing/squadron to administer the hiring boards and make recommendations on who to hire. There is a process in place. What makes you think you are special enough to contact the man directly and circumvent his process for filling vacancies? You might as well spit in the face of those running the board. Going around them for your perceived benefit sends the same message. Depending on how the boss is feeling that day when he gets your letter may actually do more harm than good. Use the tips others have mentioned above. The absolute best way to gain a UPT slot is to go to the SQ and hang out. Meet the bros you will be flying with. You will benefit both in the hiring process and in the process of finding the unit/airframe you truly want to fly. Just a thought FWIW.

I agree with you on all accounts that it is risky, which is why i stated it is a last resort hail mary kind of a thing. And im not advocating going around the guys running the board, just getting pointed in their direction. I understand they are a high ranking officer but as a civilian do you think they are really going to be that upset over a letter? A civilian could send a letter to the CSAF asking him something and he may or may not get a helpful response. I understand these guys are super busy and youre right, on a bad day it might torpedo you. But a little flattery and earnest can go along way. again this is a last resort option (ie: age critical etc)

I can sympathize with both sides, as I've met both awesome and horrible recruiters. Some recruiters are really proactive and all about helping you, while others shut you out from the beginning since they aren't exactly having a hard time filling pilot slots, and if you don't seem like a cookie cutter candidate, they don't feel like working with you.

From my experience, I'd say this; always go through the appropriate channels first, if for no other reason than to be able to say you did. If you run into a road block, you can ask the POC you're talking to if it's ok to ask to someone else about it. For example, a recruiter I spoke with actually recommended that I speak to the Group Commander about some questions I had, and gave me his number.

Otherwise, like others have mentioned, you will most likely give everyone the feeling that you won't hesitate to go around them in order to take care of yourself first. Also, the top level guys are often very busy and concerned with bigger things. You may irritate them quite a bit which is not a good first impression.

With that said every unit is different. Just don't do anything on a whim. Ask around a bit and make sure you have an idea of what you're getting in to and who you're talking to. I'm no expert though, I'm just saying so far I've managed to get some rather unique questions and concerns answered without pissing anyone off as far as I can tell.

Xcraftllc, what you have described is what is expected of a military member-working thru the chain of command. What DV portrayed was, as a civilian, it is ok for him in his mind to go VFR direct to the Wing King. He sure can, but I can make a statement with a level of confidence above 99% that doing so will result in an unfavorable outcome for him. As a Guardsman, I have seen it happen. And if he believes that is how it is done in the civilian sector, then good luck with that too. I get it all the time from potential applicants who want to work for my company. They think that coming straight to me will result in favorable action (e.g. being given a job even though lately it has also included sponsorship of their race team, Timmy's football league, etc.) Instead, I direct them to the appropriate divisions within my company that handle those requests or HR. I don't have to do that, but people got to start somewhere and I'm a nice guy. I could just ignore them, and I am pretty sure that a Wing Commander has more pressing issues to deal with. Take it from a guy who has been there, done that, and has a stack of t-shirts.....follow the process as I outlined and you will be ok. Have perseverance, maintain tact, and remember that you are applying for a position that requires your very best effort.

is anyone having a package submitted for the Fall 2014 AFRC UFT board?

I heard the June board had applicants accepted without FC1 physicals completed?

Asking because my deadline will be tight in getting the physical approved by the package-due date.

Thanks!!