Return of Friday shirts / patches

Toro

I'd assume the only "authorized one" in our squadron is still allowed

While he has never said such things in front of me, if the Chief has said some of the things I've heard he said...it would not take me off guard if he tried to wipe them out as well. I hope that stuff was rumor, I'm certainly glad it wasn't in front of me...I guess you just have to figure out how to wall-to-wall counsel a wing chief as you go, I guess. Sounded too stupid to be true...

They shouldn't have written the reg allowing base leadership levels to restrict the wear of this stuff further in the first place....it's like dad saying "yes" but "only if your older brother lets you"

Well that is a very interesting analogy. I'm not sure I've ever seen a regulation written that prohibits lower level commanders from imposing further restriction/guidance. Personally, I think that would cause more trouble in the long run if looking beyond patches and similar silliness. Even if it hadn't spelled out approval authority, it still would have been followed by brother's guidance. Analogy is valid, it's okay with dad, but I'm going to beat your ass if you do it.

Actually, in our corner of the AF, we were just told the pen tab patches are part of "morale patches" and only authorized on Friday.

Whether I agree or not aside, I see the thought process in that classification. Sad story, pawnman...Fridays better than nothing, right?

The tab/pen tab patch I was referring to was for deployed MC-12 squadrons to wear specifically (and only) for Indy 08. This was authorized even under the previous regulation, thus it would be ironic for it to be disallowed after the regulation was changed to authorized commander discretion to allow them.

Bendy

I'm starting to push for a morale shirt design in my squadron. I've been in for less than a decade, so I've only seen the crummy, overly-PC booster club shirts. Does anybody have pics or links to earlier morale shirt designs? I'm presuming most of them are just larger versions of the various morale patches I've seen on people's desks, but I would appreciate any insight. Of course the final design needs the approval of the Sq or Gp CC, but I would hate for it to be a bland version of our Sq patch or some blue kool-aid phrase somebody from a MAJCOM forced onto the lower tiers.

Actually, in our corner of the AF, we were just told the pen tab patches are part of "morale patches" and only authorized on Friday.

Not according to the AFI. Apparently your leadership doesn't understand what "wear is not restricted" means.

Wing Commanders may authorize the wear of morale patches on the shoulders of the FDU on Fridays, or during special events. Small morale tabs may be worn on the exposed Velcro of the left sleeve when the pen pocket cover is removed; wear is not restricted. Squadron Commanders will approve and maintain a list of acceptable morale patches and tabs for wear by assigned Airmen.

I'm starting to push for a morale shirt design in my squadron. I've been in for less than a decade, so I've only seen the crummy, overly-PC booster club shirts. Does anybody have pics or links to earlier morale shirt designs? I'm presuming most of them are just larger versions of the various morale patches I've seen on people's desks, but I would appreciate any insight. Of course the final design needs the approval of the Sq or Gp CC, but I would hate for it to be a bland version of our Sq patch or some blue kool-aid phrase somebody from a MAJCOM forced onto the lower tiers.

My 0.02 is don't sweat it - the principle is in the idea of being able to wear the shirt. This policy was approved locally on a Thursday afternoon as, "You may wear the (insert color) unit shirt tomorrow, which is available from the snacko." I was going to go out of my way for a shirt, so I just found a shirt of the same color and threw it on for work Friday.

Squadron patch on the front left breast, simple design on the back (most flying units have their aircraft, unit and location, and a motto, if they have one.

Not according to the AFI. Apparently your leadership doesn't understand what "wear is not restricted" means.

Wing Commanders may authorize the wear of morale patches on the shoulders of the FDU on Fridays, or during special events. Small morale tabs may be worn on the exposed Velcro of the left sleeve when the pen pocket cover is removed; wear is not restricted. Squadron Commanders will approve and maintain a list of acceptable morale patches and tabs for wear by assigned Airmen.

What if they don't approve a list of acceptable tabs?

• 2 weeks later...

Word on street here is COMACC is going to deny it for all non-flyers.

Seriously what logical reasoning would support such a decision, besides a power move to snatch the coveted "biggest douche GO of the year" award. If anyone has issues with others (non-rated) getting a t-shirt to show some unit pride, then you're a prima dona who is exactly what gives rated folks a bad name. I sure hope that doesn't happen.

Always found that funny considering: they cut the fingers off their gloves, roll sleeves up, zippers down, and have been known to fly around naked. But FOD...watch out boys.

FOD..scheduling more than a day ahead of time...meeting any sort of deadline...watch out

• Upvote 2

Am I reading this right: For the Friday shirt we can only have a breast pocket logo and back logo? I am currently designing some shirts for the OG and I would really like to put a silhouette near the collar but it's looking like that isn't allowed per the reg...

5.1.3 ........Wing, or squadron commanders may prescribe unit designation emblems, not to exceed 5 inches in diameter, in cloth or silk screen, worn on the left side of chest of both the desert sand and squadron commander-prescribed Friday morale undershirts. In-theater commander will determine if Airmen are authorized to wear standardized color undershirts with or without unit designation emblems. Neither unit designation emblems or commercial logos will be visible when wearing the ABU coat (shirt). .........

I would assume this is the reason.

Where in the reg did you find that?

read the AFI closely. As quoted above, "when wearing the ABU coat..." and Chapter 5 is all about the ABU anyway. Nowhere is this stipulated when wearing Friday shirts with the FDU (Chapter 8).

"8.7. Undergarments.

Undergarments are required with the FDU and DFDU. During flight operations all undergarments, to include cold weather undergarments, must be cotton or fire retardant material and must be on the safe to fly list maintained by Aircrew Flight Equipment (AFE). Undershirts will be crewneck style and tan in color. Exception: Wing Commanders may authorize Airmen to wear a designated unit standardized color undershirt on Fridays, or during special events."