Return of Friday shirts / patches

Toro

Even the little things cannot get fixed in my little corner of the world. Absolutely amazing that even when big AF makes an attempt to fix morale by adjusting the little things, Group and/or Wing leadership still continues to embrace the suck. Just posted at FOB Cannon:

Dude, I have to say what the fuck? Seriously 27 SOW...fucking seriously??

The Chief puts out a new uniform reg that finally gives dudes a tiny sliver of optimism on something we all agree is "small shit" and you have to take a big ole subdued-green AFSOC dump on it?

I never, ever understood the rule of, "Well, the local reg can be more restrictive than the parent reg" when being more restrictive goes against the intent of the parent reg. I get that the AFI in this case specifically gives discretion to WG/CCs and this is within that realm, but clearly the intent of the parent AFI was to allow these things under reasonable circumstances. How the F can local regs just totally disregard that intent?

Isn't using your creativity, on-the-ground knowledge and technical expertise to turn the Commander's intent into a workable reality what rated officers are supposed to excel at? Why can't our "leadership," all of whom are rated, get that fundamental principle right?

Unfortunately I'm not surprised.

Dude, I have to say what the fuck? Seriously 27 SOW...fucking seriously??

The Chief puts out a new uniform reg that finally gives dudes a tiny sliver of optimism on something we all agree is "small shit" and you have to take a big ole subdued-green AFSOC dump on it?

This is the command that gave us our previous CSAF.

This is the command that gave us our previous CSAF.

Sadly, this is so true with few exceptions. When I PCS'd out to Cannon, Gen Elton (Col then) was the Wg/CC. Aside from being in Clovis, I was happy to work in a low key base with excellent leadership. He was one of the best I've seen in AFSOC. Not to mention it got me away from the 1SOW and the incredible leadership combo we had down there with Slife taking the reins. What we saw today with that memo regarding 36-6903 uniform policy was par for the course around the 27th nowadays. Who needs morale boosting when you live in Clovis anyhow?

• Upvote 1

Sadly, this is so true with few exceptions. When I PCS'd out to Cannon, Gen Elton (Col then) was the Wg/CC. Aside from being in Clovis, I was happy to work in a low key base with excellent leadership. He was one of the best I've seen in AFSOC. Not to mention it got me away from the 1SOW and the incredible leadership combo we had down there with Slife taking the reins. What we saw today with that memo regarding 36-6903 uniform policy was par for the course around the 27th nowadays. Who needs morale boosting when you live in Clovis anyhow?

2 on Elton! Glad I left Clovistan when I did.

Don't forget who the 27 SOW/CC is . . . and who trained him at HRT. Can't say I am even surprised . . . we've gone full retard with leadership in AFSOC.

This guidance actually came from the OG, not the wing. From my reading of the 2903, the OG/CC doesn't even have the authority to restrict the parent reg (only MAJCOM, NAF and Wg/CCs can), but this isn't a big enough deal for me to get crucified by openly fighting it.

This guidance actually came from the OG, not the wing. From my reading of the 2903, the OG/CC doesn't even have the authority to restrict the parent reg (only MAJCOM, NAF and Wg/CCs can), but this isn't a big enough deal for me to get crucified by openly fighting it.

Exactly. You think his boss didn't tell him exactly what to say on that one? (for the record, I'm at CVS too . . . not just being an internet douche here.)

Edited by FlyinGrunt

1) Effective immediately, all members will adhere to the new AFI 36-2903 with the following restrictions:

- Sand shirts only

- No morale patches on shoulders

- No morale patches on left sleeve Velcro (pen tab)

- No morale Friday nametags

So exactly what is the new change? Now I get choice of sock color with my PT uniform? UFB but to be completely expected. Now to get back to my interview prep study time.

Now I kinda want to stay there overnight on a Friday, just to walk around with them on to see if anyone stops me. Uggg. The things I find entertaining nowadays.

I'll be honest, my morale would be increased so much more by eliminating the queepy bullshit we have to do (check in the box PME, ect) rather than the token gesture of running shoes and some velcro backed cloth.

I see this as the easy thing to do for a quick artificial boost in our morale. Meanwhile no one is stepping up and dealing with the serious shit.

• Upvote 2

just got briefed "there will be no morale patches, pencil tab patches, or friday shirts in the AOR PERIOD"

I assume this little bit of wild-hair decision making does not effect the tab patch you are allowed to wear, true?

It would be a bit ironic for the regulation to relax, then the policy to be restricted...

Bendy

I assume this little bit of wild-hair decision making does not effect the tab patch you are allowed to wear, true?

It would be a bit ironic for the regulation to relax, then the policy to be restricted...

Bendy

I'd assume the only "authorized one" in our squadron is still allowed

Bendy

They shouldn't have written the reg allowing base leadership levels to restrict the wear of this stuff further in the first place....it's like dad saying "yes" but "only if your older brother lets you"

• Upvote 1

Bendy

Actually, in our corner of the AF, we were just told the pen tab patches are part of "morale patches" and only authorized on Friday.