Oops- Another wrong airport landing

Hueypilot

• 4 weeks later...

Spoke to someone in the know about this today - the incident occurred in a known area of poor service/'dead zone' in Springfield Approach's coverage. Apparently the Branson contract tower at the correct intended airport was in fact manned, but had no DBRITE (radar display) in the cab, a non-radar tower-only facility. However the controller on position noticed SWA's going to the wrong airport, was on the tower freq trying to do something about it, and I guess SWA landed where they did anyway...so supposedly the blame went onto the pilot as a pilot deviation.

With it being a poor service area maybe it's not so smart to have the tower be non-radar, there are small pattern-only type radars that can be installed to solve thpse issues, but those cost money and at this point I imagine the issue will be fixed with ADS-B or some other NexGen shit.

Edited by Clayton Bigsby

• 1 month later...

"Are you kidding?"

Start at 1:30. I'm not an airline pilot - but flying visual landings at night with instruments as a backup seems totally bassackwards.

I'm not an airline pilot either, but I'll usually have the ILS dialed in as a backup, especially at night and especially if the field has a black hole effect going on.

"Are you kidding?"

Start at 1:30. I'm not an airline pilot - but flying visual landings at night with instruments as a backup seems totally bassackwards.

I have to (gasp) agree with Toro here. That's just fucking stupid. In a crew plane, that's what I call being too lazy to brief up the ILS. Here we are too lazy to cross check anything...it's amazing these people don't stall, crash, burn, and die more often.

If one is going to fly a visual into an airfield, tune up a navigational aid or load the FMS and be sure it's at least the right airport, if not for the actual approach.

Also, that chick is hot. Request nudes.

2. She can be my co-pilot any day.

Bendy

I have to (gasp) agree with Toro here. That's just ######ing stupid. In a crew plane, that's what I call being too lazy to brief up the ILS. Here we are too lazy to cross check anything...it's amazing these people don't stall, crash, burn, and die more often.

If one is going to fly a visual into an airfield, tune up a navigational aid or load the FMS and be sure it's at least the right airport, if not for the actual approach.

I fly visuals into airfields at night, and sometimes it's because I'm too lazy to brief the ILS.

Not quibbling, I'm actually agreeing with your main point. You don't have to go through all the 202/217/11-2X-XXXv3 procedures to throw an ILS in as a sanity check. Hell, most planes let you program a visual approach into the FMS in about 10 seconds, no briefing required. I hate ILS approaches, the long vectors, controllers in training, looking at mini TVs instead of outside the magical flying machines we operate... They represent everything I find awful and boring about flying. I'll confess to laziness and get-home-itis motivating me to request a visual to the opposite direction runway, all in the name of landing sooner and saying less, but even I'm not too lazy to glance down at the MFD when I turn onto what I think is final approach.

But I'm not the brightest bulb, so it could just be me.

Spoke to someone in the know about this today - the incident occurred in a known area of poor service/'dead zone' in Springfield Approach's coverage. Apparently the Branson contract tower at the correct intended airport was in fact manned, but had no DBRITE (radar display) in the cab, a non-radar tower-only facility.

After listening this part was accurate.

However the controller on position noticed SWA's going to the wrong airport, was on the tower freq trying to do something about it, and I guess SWA landed where they did anyway...so supposedly the blame went onto the pilot as a pilot deviation.

That wasn't, and I'd been told what I shared. I didn't hear anybody say or do anything. Unless there was some part of the tape that got redacted but it sounds like it's all there. Wonder if there was any question over the approach freq prior to the handoff to tower. Not sure how it could be a deev.

Not that it's the transitioning helicopter's fault in any way, but kinda wish he'd said 'why is SWA landing here instead of at Branson?' over the radio. I'm guessing he was focused on his flying. Also wonder why tower didn't visually identify and monitor his incoming aircraft.

Kind of hard to believe it's a known area of poor approach control radar service that's also non-radar for the field. Bad combo.

Edited by Clayton Bigsby

To each his own, I guess.

Three fails here.

1) The chick you posted isn't naked.

2) Wrong Chick.

image.jpg

I would like to see the above, naked. Preferably in some sexual position. Perhaps even via motion picture.

3) Fat fingered the downvote, just like BQZip's mom. Suck it.

• Upvote 2