Required

FlyingGuy

So I got a GoPro for Christmas this year and am really hoping to use it as a helmet cam in UPT. I have done some searching on YouTube to see what's out there and it looks like there are quite a few videos, but they all seem to be shot by the IP. Does anyone know what they likelihood of me being allowed to shot video, as a student in UPT, is? Thanks in advance.

No.

• Upvote 1

Per the reg, cameras in the cockpit is a OG/CC approval I believe. There is a 0% chance it will be approved if taken through the proper channels. Now if you want to "illegally" bring one, then that's on you, but it's not worth what will happen to you if you get caught, imo. Don't be that guy.

Edited by BADFNZ

Or just do it, because, frankly, I could use the laugh.

Honestly, there's only one path through UPT and only minor, temporary deviations are allowed. I wouldn't even have creative thoughts there. Plus, who'd want to watch your shitty TP stalls in dazzling 1080p?

Edited by sky_king
  • Upvote 1

Save it for later. Using the Go-Pro to make videos of you mowing the lawn or pouring drinks for people in your dorm room would be about as exciting as what you'd be getting on film in the cockpit. Just get through UPT.

Just get through UPT, broceidon.

Edited by Hodor

Trust me on this: in 10 years you won't care about watching your area work. What you want to do is stash that GoPro in the corner of the flight room and record your morning stand ups. I'd love to see myself struggle through electrical fire in the Tweet and get told to "sit down" cause I was an idiot.

• Upvote 8

So I got a GoPro for Christmas this year and am really hoping to use it as a helmet cam in UPT. I have done some searching on YouTube to see what's out there and it looks like there are quite a few videos, but they all seem to be shot by the IP. Does anyone know what they likelihood of me being allowed to shot video, as a student in UPT, is? Thanks in advance.

Hell no. You need to worry about flying the airplane, not fucking around with a goddamn camera so you can impress Mary Jane Rottencrotch.

You sound like an entitled little SNAP. Hard to digest or not, these folks are giving you good advice. Secondly, your screen name is presumptuous and needs to be earned. Good luck at UPT. But enjoy a slice of humble pie before you go. It might make the next year of your life a little easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

C-130 "Driver,"

Disregard all...GoPros are most definitely encouraged during UPT sorties, recommend you have it out and fully charged when you turn in your boldface to check flight. Technique: have your IP set it up for you following the 45 minutes it will take you to strap in. Best of luck!

You sound like an entitled little SNAP. Hard to digest or not, these folks are giving you good advice. Secondly, your screen name is presumptuous and needs to be earned. Good luck at UPT. But enjoy a slice of humble pie before you go. It might make the next year of your life a easier.

How does he sound entitled? He asked if it was against the regs and/or how folks who have done it did it. He never said he should be able to do whatever he wants. It's people like you that provide no value to this forum, and probably the Air Force, if all you do is wander around saying no one should ask questions and you're better than everyone else because you've been around longer.

No offense to you, just a common thing I see around here and I'm tired of it.

• Upvote 9
  • Downvote 2

You sound like an entitled little SNAP. Hard to digest or not, these folks are giving you good advice. Secondly, your screen name is presumptuous and needs to be earned. Good luck at UPT. But enjoy a slice of humble pie before you go. It might make the next year of your life a little easier.

You sound like a FAIP.

Yes, that was meant as an insult.

You sound like a FAIP.

Yes, that was meant as an insult.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Check his location. KYNG, guessing that makes him a Youngstown guy. If that is the case I really hope he earns his Reserve slot.

How does he sound entitled? He asked if it was against the regs and/or how folks who have done it did it. He never said he should be able to do whatever he wants. It's people like you that provide no value to this forum, and probably the Air Force, if all you do is wander around saying no one should ask questions and you're better than everyone else because you've been around longer.

No offense taken. And yes, I am saying no. It's because I have personally witnessed bros get their ass handed to them over this kind of stupidity. Old and cynical? Maybe, but only because precedent has been set many times over. If the dude wants to fly with a go-pro, he'll do it. Doesn't mean it's a good idea.

Contrary to popular opinion, I've spent many an evening with a glass of military special perusing old camcorder footage of the red roof house, the rio grande, and other joyous south Texas locales taken during UPT..

Fair enough man. I just don't want you getting hammered for low SA. Doesn't make me a FAIP or a Douche-bag either Danger and Sky King. The kid needs to hear it when he is getting ready to step on his schwantz. If your communities don't do the same for your new guys....well, good luck.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Yes I'm a YARS guy. I don't know what your definition of me earning my slot is, but I have worked very hard for a very long time to get where I am. That being said, I don't pretend to be entitled to my slot. Its very competitive right now and I am honored to have been selected. But, I was selected. I'm not connected, I was selected based on my own merit. All that being said, I have a lot to prove. I have to continually show that I'm worth of having been selected and I get that. All that being said, all I can do is execute at 100% everyday to continue to earn this great opportunity which has been afforded to me.

Are you running for Congress or something? I'm not denying that you worked hard for your opportunity and that you will continue to work hard, but here's a tip: Don't call yourself a 'C130Driver' until you have, at the minimum, flown a 130, and preferably have a FM8 that says you are Q-1 in your furure 130 crew position. That I believe is why people are calling you entitled...you're calling yourself something that you are not. Unless of course you're a prior 130 Nav or enlisted 130 crewmber? It comes down to mentality, and if you think we're being rough on you on BO, this is nothing compared to UPT. Take it or leave it.

• Upvote 2

Hell, a GoPro is too much of a risk in getting caught. Just do what most of us have done and throw your cell phone in your G-suit pocket.... and when you're out there being a hero in the MOA all by your lonesome cloud chasing or doing border patrol, pull that puppy out (STS) and make a shitty video.

I look back at my videos every once in a while... probably should have been practicing rather than f$cking off with a camera in the jet.... west Texas isn't that impressive to look at

Good luck with UPT. Have fun.

Yes I'm a YARS guy. I don't know what your definition of me earning my slot is, but I have worked very hard for a very long time to get where I am. That being said, I don't pretend to be entitled to my slot. Its very competitive right now and I am honored to have been selected. But, I was selected. I'm not connected, I was selected based on my own merit. All that being said, I have a lot to prove. I have to continually show that I'm worth of having been selected and I get that. All that being said, all I can do is execute at 100% everyday to continue to earn this great opportunity which has been afforded to me.

I was rolling in for mutual support and I realize the work the ANG/AFRC reserve types put in to get a slot. The last half of my post was sarcasm. Regardless, UPT is a riot. Enjoy it, there is plenty of time for Go Pros after the days of formal release and standup.

Shack. Though I do agree with WheelzUp about the presumptuous screen name.

Hell, a GoPro is too much of a risk in getting caught. Just do what most of us have done and throw your cell phone in your G-suit pocket.... and when you're out there being a hero in the MOA all by your lonesome cloud chasing or doing border patrol, pull that puppy out (STS) and make a shitty video.

I look back at my videos every once in a while... probably should have been practicing rather than f$cking off with a camera in the jet.... west Texas isn't that impressive to look at

Good luck with UPT. Have fun.

A few times a week in my work, I fly over the wreckage of a Willie Tweet that packed it into North Butte, east of Florence AZ in Feb of '70. Solo stud was returning low level from the MOA down the Gila River, filming with a camera as he was flying down river and in between two buttes, but impacted the North Butte with no ejection. Camera was embedded in the stud's body. Wreckage left in place. Granted GoPro's are hands off, but I'm always reminded of this particular accident.

Edited by MD
  • Upvote 1