New SOS in-correspondence

Spaceballs

I would love to do that, but I am a Reservist. We only get to apply for school slots twice a year. The first time I applied, my app somehow disappeared from the MyPers system. The second time I applied, they only picked 115 out of 800-something applicants. 

Do you and anyone else have advice what to do?  I do think I will give them a call though. 

WTF didn't Welsh solve this problem by having everyone go in-Res and only do correspondence if the window was about to close?  Now we are talking about a year-long correspondence course for fvcking shoe flag?

Someone tell me this is a joke, please. If not, did that clown accomplish anything in four years?

16 hours ago, hispeed7721 said:

What the actual f*ck? SOS at home went from a few weeks to a year?!

shouldn't it mirror in-res...how in the world do they justify correspondence being 10 times as long as in-res

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The AF expects you to do this on your own time; you know, family time, weekends, take leave to get it done, etc...

43 minutes ago, 08Dawg said:

And here I thought queep was about to go away....color me not surprised that they found a way to make SOS in correspondence even more painful than it already was. 

The previous iteration of SOS was hardly painful.  Mine took 6 hours total: 1 hour of "studying" for each of the three tests, 30 minutes for each test, 30 minutes travel time roundtrip to/from the testing center.  Practice bleeding was stupid, but the actual volume of blood lost was minimal.

Edited by guineapigfury
typo
  • Upvote 1

On August 14, 2016 at 7:55 PM, Tx_Aggie99 said:

The website says it should take approx 12 months.

I hate to rain on the sport bitching parade, but where did you see this?

Checking the website here, it says you have 18 months max to complete the program.  Nothing about min time.  It's still 3x tests and a 4-week online class, so total time depends on how quickly you take the tests.

The program looks unchanged from the one I completed a couple of years ago and I finished in about 2 months trying to max perform the tests while deployed and then completing the 4-week "class" while on terminal leave from AD (good story there!).

So I'm curious where you saw the 12-month figure...

It's the run of the mill timeframe Big Blue mentions in the course syllabus. By no means a hard timeline to follow. I'm just about done, and it's taken me since March, but we've had some TDY's and deployments mixed in during that time. 

• 1 year later...

Anybody have info on the “new” SOS in-correspondence curriculum 2.0 that started in Jan 2017? Specifically, how long it takes to complete. The AU website says it should be able to be completed in 6-8 months if courses are timed right but that sounds ridiculous.  I’m eligible to skip in-residence and do this online program but don’t want to bother if it’s a bigger pain in the ass. Would rather skip both options but I guess that’s a no go. 

SOS is honestly a nice break from the daily ops grind. You have to do next to no work and put in minimal effort to accomplish the work you actually do have to do.

Caveat: I went through the 8 week version, had a pilot as a Flight CC, had 9/14 rated people in my flight, and the other 5 were super cool. YMMV.

2 hours ago, Danger41 said:

SOS is honestly a nice break from the daily ops grind. You have to do next to no work and put in minimal effort to accomplish the work you actually do have to do.

Caveat: I went through the 8 week version, had a pilot as a Flight CC, had 9/14 rated people in my flight, and the other 5 were super cool. YMMV.

Consider yourself blessed, the 17 year cop in our flight thought we (bag wearers) were unprofessional and not becoming of a USAF officer.  The last day of class all she could say was, "two different Air Forces"

Consider yourself blessed, the 17 year cop in our flight thought we (bag wearers) were unprofessional and not becoming of a USAF officer.  The last day of class all she could say was, "two different Air Forces"

Yeah, the doers and the nonners.

In mine, we had a logistics girl who hung all her home station awards in her room then invited us down to see them.

She then accused the pilots of cheating because we had the highest test scores.

But the kicker was the girl who cried after failing two tests and saying she didn’t understand how she could be doing so poorly as she had been CGO of the year at LA AFB.

Shoe flag is highly educational to see/understand “some” of your fellow officers and why shit is so broken in the USAF.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

I went in-residence last year. Agreed on all parts that your flight and flight/CC can make a strong impact on your experience. I've always thought that most of the people who go to SOS, (rated not included) are sitting on at least their second assignment and are considering whether to stay in past their 4-5 year mark. If the AF decided to make SOS a painful experience then it would make it more likely for those sitting on the fence to punch out. The SOS I experienced was not so bad. Our class of rated and non-rated got along pretty good and I didn't get the sense that there was an unspoken hostility. I learned a few things, expanded my professional network, and got to take a nice break from the daily grind back at home station.

I DO think the stupid ass "Air War" game with dodgeballs was pretty useless. Made me feel like I was back in ROTC using rubber guns pretending to be Army with our safety belts on. 

I DO think the stupid ass "Air War" game with dodgeballs was pretty useless. Made me feel like I was back in ROTC using rubber guns pretending to be Army with our safety belts on. 

Shut up, ICARUS was awesome! I was so happy I was picked to be a loggy and got to resupply my teams munitions!