China & Chinese Shenanigans

Marlboro BLACK

• 5 months later...
34 minutes ago, Clark Griswold said:

If they have one we need one...

AG600 just made its first water landing:

Article on it from Task  & Purpose:  https://taskandpurpose.com/china-ag600-amphibious-aircraft-landing/

Yeah we can’t allow a “flying boat gap” to develop.  Probably need to prioritize this right after F-35, KC-46, B-21, new ICBM, Light Attack, 6th gen Air Dominance, hypersonics, nuclear cruise missile, fixing hurricane damaged F-22s, stopping the invasion of Central Americans, Space Force, maintaining the Afghan live fire training range........

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Yeah we can’t allow a “flying boat gap” to develop.  Probably need to prioritize this right after F-35, KC-46, B-21, new ICBM, Light Attack, 6th gen Air Dominance, hypersonics, nuclear cruise missile, fixing hurricane damaged F-22s, stopping the invasion of Central Americans, Space Force, maintaining the Afghan live fire training range........

It was a joke, DD is Code 2 for humor recognizer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was a joke, DD is Code 2 for humor recognizer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure if that’s the case Clark. I thought DD’s was dripping with sarcasm.

Everything is the #1 priority, right? Why not add a flying boat to the list...

I think yours might be Code 3.

5 minutes ago, Scooter14 said:

Not sure if that’s the case Clark. I thought DD’s was dripping with sarcasm.

Everything is the #1 priority, right? Why not add a flying boat to the list...

I think yours might be Code 3.

Sheez... I didn't realize my innocuous post about a modern flying boat and the novelty of it would need a trigger warning.

Just to state the obvious, we are not getting a flying boat and if money grew on trees I would say we should acquire one just because... but it doesn't so we will prioritize and spend money on that which we should / must... as referenced by @DirkDiggler 

• Haha 1

It's another part of their growth in expeditionary capability, not explicitly a military system/capability technically but in about 6.9 seconds it could be adapted to a military role.  

17 ordered so far by the Chinese government but article here doesn't specify if it is the PLAN or their CG.

On the subject of Chinese expeditionary airpower development, they wanna develop a tanker version of their Y-20:

http://www.atimes.com/article/chubby-girls-sister-boost-chinas-military-capability/

Good nick name for the jet also...

probable-tanker-in-future.jpg

Interesting photoshop but should have had pods, don't see them developing a boom AR system anytime soon.

On ‎10‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 10:36 AM, Clark Griswold said:

If they have one we need one...

AG600 just made its first water landing:

Article on it from Task  & Purpose:  https://taskandpurpose.com/china-ag600-amphibious-aircraft-landing/

Already accomplished, b1tches...maybe it'll be one of the new plus-up squadrons...

See the source imagearticle-2227304-0044CFC800000258-552_964x524.jpg

4 hours ago, brickhistory said:

Already accomplished, b1tches...maybe it'll be one of the new plus-up squadrons...

If only... 

Japanese US-2 Seaplane would be my choice if the resources and solid requirement were there for a military seaplane:

slide_img01.jpg

screenshot-www-youtube-com-2018-04-25-11

Now, not to inflame righteous indignation over the controversial topic of aircraft that self-identify as amphibious, there could be some argument made for a capability to reach and supply far flung bases in the Pacific / Indian Ocean theaters that either have little or no infrastructure or in the event that infrastructure (runway, port, helipad, etc...) was destroyed by long-range attack (conventional ballistic missile, cruise or stand-off weapons).  

The case for a fixed-wing amphibious aircraft would be for a longer unrefuelled range with a greater payload vs a rotary wing or tilt-rotor aircraft, for a land or sea landing/takeoff.  With typical hot & humid conditions, that would further erode vertical takeoff / landing performance, the option of a fixed wing water takeoff at a higher GW becomes more valuable.

Expensive aircraft for a niche but potentially valuable capability ($116 mil a copy when offered to India in 2016 - ouch that's a lot) but if you were nation with your national interests linked to ocean power projection capabilities with a sometimes bullying neighbor, you might want that...

Edited by Clark Griswold
  • Upvote 1

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
15 minutes ago, ThreeHoler said:

Seems legit to run that exercise during COVID Ops where were can’t even leave the state if it is “red.”

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

And Guam DEFINITELY hasn’t had a Covid problem recently

I feel dirty using the commercialized JQP as source material.  

• 1 month later...
16 minutes ago, Clark Griswold said:

Chinese seaplane is moving along and testing and we don't have one, I call bullshit.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/military/navy-ships/a33434618/ag-600-seaplane-first-water-flight/

Pretty soon we’ll be behind on the mineshaft gap. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

Referencing Alman's WOR article linked above and his recommendations in it:

Moving forward, I recommend that the Department of Defense consider three specific actions. First, establish a joint-service exchange program with Japan’s US-2 seaplane squadron to build a small cadre of personnel who understand seaplane operations, their benefits, and their limitations (the author would be happy to volunteer for such a program). Second, include seaplanes in applicable wargames, analyses, and experimentation to study their use cases and efficacy. Third, provide limited funding to relevant individuals and organizations to examine the seaplane design space, determine capabilities given current technology, and develop realistic concepts for ongoing wargames and analyses.

Has anyone planned or participated in any exercises or demos with the Japanese US-2?

• 2 weeks later...

No way this would get screwed up, not a chance...

On a semi-serious note I will say I see a seaplane as a legitimate requirement solver (long range maritime logistics) but just one that would never get high enough in the list of 69,000 to do's to get funding.

Niche capability and not a cheap one (assuming we would buy the Japanese US-2) so no seaplane for you...

Still love'em and always remember the wisdom of Turgidson, we can not allow an *INSERT WEAPON NAME HERE* gap to exist!

slide_img01.jpg

Edited by Clark Griswold