US flags at half-mast for Nelson Mandela--thoughts?

HeloDude

While attending the funeral for someone who was on the U.S. Terror Watch List until 2008, POTUS found time to shake hands with Raul Castro and take some Selfie's during the service.

1386676877000-GTY-454753083.jpg

2135_1386698121.jpg

Would you consider it tacky and distasteful if somebody was taking selfies and laughing like that at one of your family members funeral/memorial? I damn sure would. This is the President of the United States on the world's stage. That narcissistic fuck doesn't know any better. I guess you don't learn manners being a community organizer in a shit hole like Chicago.

• Upvote 1

Would you consider it tacky and distasteful if somebody was taking selfies and laughing like that at one of your family members funeral/memorial? I damn sure would. This is the President of the United States on the world's stage. That narcissistic ###### doesn't know any better. I guess you don't learn manners being a community organizer in a shit hole like Chicago.

Shack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would you consider it tacky and distasteful if somebody was taking selfies and laughing like that at one of your family members funeral/memorial? I damn sure would. This is the President of the United States on the world's stage. That narcissistic fuck doesn't know any better. I guess you don't learn manners being a community organizer in a shit hole like Chicago.

I normally would agree with this, but the picture - while not taken out of context - did not have the full context of what was going on. The atmosphere at this event wasn't like most of us would picture a memorial.

From NBC Nightly News:

The atmosphere inside Africa's largest stadium was celebratory, with people dancing, blowing "vuvuzela" plastic horns and singing songs from the anti-apartheid struggle as they honored the man who steered their country from white-minority rule to multi-racial democracy.

"It is a moment of sadness celebrated by song and dance, which is what we South Africans do," Xolisa Madywabe, CEO of a South African investment firm, told The Associated Press.

Selfie at a funeral: head-up-ass level of ignorance and tackiness

Selfie at a celebration of somebody's life: not that big of a deal

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I normally would agree with this, but the picture - while not taken out of context - did not have the full context of what was going on. The atmosphere at this event wasn't like most of us would picture a memorial.

From NBC Nightly News:

Selfie at a funeral: head-up-ass level of ignorance and tackiness

Bullshit. An American President should never be taking selfies like a teenage girl. No context required.

• Upvote 1

So the American President can't be a normal person when at a celebration and out in public? I say bull-shit on that one...

I think seeing the President like that makes him more human and genuine and I don't mind it at all....

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 8

So the American President can't be a normal person when at a celebration and out in public? I say bull-shit on that one...

I think seeing the President like that makes him more human and genuine and I don't mind it at all....

Not when he's representing this country, as he was at that funeral.

He can "be himself" while on vacation or golfing (which he tends to do both a lot), the American people expect more dignity and decorum from their President, which is why there is such a shit storm brewing over his antics.

He of all people should know his actions would be under scrutiny during this funeral, it's as bad as Bill Clinton caught on laughing and joking around after Ron Brown's funeral, then putting on an act once he realizes he's on camera!

Sorry, disagree. It only demonstrates that his only focus is on himself, even when others are suppose to be the center of attention.

Selfies are taken every time I fly.... That's not against the regs is it?

Again though, Mandela's funeral wasn't a typical funeral in the sense we think of it but a celebration of his life and the South African people made it a celebration...

Edited by Tank
  • Downvote 4

Hella of a guy...

cuba-fidel-mandela.jpg

Castro.jpg

RTRGW4H.jpg

7. On the U.S. war with Iraq:

“If there is a country that has committed unspeakable atrocities in the world, it is the United States of America. They don’t care for human beings.”

6. On Israel:

“Israel should withdraw from all the areas which it won from the Arabs in 1967, and in particular Israel should withdraw completely from the Golan Heights, from south Lebanon and from the West Bank.”

5. On the U.S. war with Iraq:

“All that (Mr. Bush) wants is Iraqi oil.”

4. Mandela on Castro and the Cuban revolution:

“From its earliest days, the Cuban Revolution has also been a source of
inspiration to all freedom-loving people. We admire the sacrifices of the Cuban people in maintaining their independence and sovereignty in the face of the vicious imperialist-orquestrated campaign to destroy the impressive gain made in the Cuban Revolution. … Long live the Cuban Revolution. Long live comrade Fidel Castro.”

3. Mandela on Libyan dictator Moammar Gadhafi, his longtime supporter:

“It is our duty to give support to the brother leader … especially in regards to the sanctions which are not hitting just him, they are hitting the ordinary masses of the people … our African brothers and sisters.”

2. On the U.S. preparing to invade Iraq in a 2002 interview with Newsweek:

“If you look at those matters, you will come to the conclusion that the attitude of the United States of America is a threat to world peace.”

1. On a Palestinian state:

“The UN took a strong stand against apartheid; and over the years, an international consensus was built, which helped to bring an end to this iniquitous system. But we know too well that our freedom is incomplete without the freedom of the Palestinians.”

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

So a large amount of the world's leaders were in attendance at this funeral, but no one knows who the guy standing next to the podium faking sign language is? Missed opportunity by the terrorists.

Yeah, paranoid schizophrenic having an actual schizophrenic episode within arms reach of the President. Wonder how that debrief went at the Secret Service.

As usual, the Duffleblog delivers!

arlington1.jpg?resize=720%2C400

Obama Takes ‘Selfie’ At Fallen Soldier’s Funeral

But the sad reality is that Obama would never attend a fallen soldier's funeral.

(OK, before Vertigo and/or nsplayr jump in, I know he did once back in 2009; but I suspect that was more for the photo op than anything else. Since then he has proven he really doesn't give a shit about the military...)

• Upvote 1

http://www.policymic.com/articles/76375/8-photos-you-didn-t-see-from-obama-s-trip-to-south-africa

Always knew that the press reported their spin on the news but this puts it into a better perspective on what really happens and isn't shown....

Wow...but yet, the politicians continue to screw over everybody in the name of good politics when they're back in DC. Forgive me if I'm not impressed that they can smile over some paintings.

803anigif_not_sure_if_ser_zps050d62d9.gi

Well, it's obvious that Bush 41 supported the troops while Obama hasn't.

Look at the things that have all happened under Obama:

- Significant drawdown of the military after protracted conflict

- Major cuts to military spending during an economic recession

- Significant cuts to much-needed modernization programs

- Increased emphasis on coalitions, rather than the U.S. going it alone

- Curtailed pay raises for the armed forces

- Possible changes to the military retirement system (remember redux?)

- Abandonment of soldiers showing serious war-related illness after conflict

- Pilots signing up to a plane, instead fly a desk (well, conex)

- Rampant political correctness

I could go on, and on, but you get the point...

Obviously those things never happened under Bush 41, so again, I ask you, how did Bush 41 support the troops in ways Obama doesn't? Sharper salute? He never put his hand on his heart during the national anthem? How?

Edited by B.M.

That the Obama's, Bush's and Clinton's all traveled together to the funeral and behind closed doors and when politics are set aside, they do get along.

Nothing more, nothing less....

Edited by Tank
  • Downvote 2