Academy informant program

LookieRookie

I'm not going to get into this conversation except to point out the extraneous use of the word "The." It's not "the USAFA". The only place "the" belongs is in front of Ohio State.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I get asked this frequently and so I've thought about it. I never had a desire to go to any other place before or after. I had good times and I had bad times and I mostly only remember the good times at this point. I accomplished a lot, grew up a lot, and made some great friends and great memories. the prize at the end made it worth it: If I had not gotten a UPT slot it would have soured the deal considerably.

So, BLAB: I enjoyed it and don't wish I had gone to another college.

Used to have a DO who would write lengthy emails, then put BLUF at the bottom. The rest of the squadron took to using BLAB as a response.

Back to arguing about what the Zoomies add to the Air Force, other than a group of people who promote in front of their ROTC brethren.

I'm not going to get into this conversation except to point out the extraneous use of the word "The."  It's not "the USAFA".  The only place "the" belongs is in front of Ohio State.

I went to the United States Air Force Academy.

I went to United States Air Force Academy.

• Upvote 3

Loved my time there and wouldn't have traded it or the opportunities I had for a civilian institution. Went to a civilian grad program after and didn't feel like I missed anything.

You obviously have no idea what you missed...

• Upvote 1

I went to the United States Air Force Academy.

I went to United States Air Force Academy.

but I'm not saying the words, I'm saying "you saw fuh" the acronym. I went to "you saw fuh". Not "I went to the you saw fuh" There is a difference!

Edited by stract

You obviously have no idea what you missed...

I always laugh when I see/hear comments like this one. You reeally must have pushed it up, man. Granted, some cadets are white new-balance with jeans faux leather jacket wearin narps, but a good time could be had by all. Most of my high school friends went to CSU or Boulder. I saw what I missed out on. I'm glad I did. Because after a weekend of hitting the slopes and the beers equally hard, we were back to work, jumping out of airplanes and learning Russian. I feel like we got the best of both worlds. I got to party my ass off and still feel like I accomplished something come Friday. I mean how crazy do you think your civilian college life was? Short of doing coke off hookers' asses on a Tuesday morning, I can't really see what the huge void in my college experience was.

I always laugh when I see/hear comments like this one. You reeally must have pushed it up, man. Granted, some cadets are white new-balance with jeans faux leather jacket wearin narps, but a good time could be had by all. Most of my high school friends went to CSU or Boulder. I saw what I missed out on. I'm glad I did. Because after a weekend of hitting the slopes and the beers equally hard, we were back to work, jumping out of airplanes and learning Russian. I feel like we got the best of both worlds. I got to party my ass off and still feel like I accomplished something come Friday. I mean how crazy do you think your civilian college life was? Short of doing coke off hookers' asses on a Tuesday morning, I can't really see what the huge void in my college experience was.

This. I mean, there are some things I really did miss. Having to pay tuition. Room and board. Another job to pay the bills. Being a TA maybe. I could have had the gourmet dining at CC rather than Mitch's mountains.... I guess jumping out of planes, flying other planes, and skiing all winter just won't cut it. :airman:

• Upvote 1

Academically, the Academy is outstanding? Outstanding at what? Preparing its students for what?

Are Academy students doing groundbreaking research? Do they go on to develop new technologies at companies like Google/IBM/Microsoft? Do they go on to excel at Goldman Sachs at a higher rate than other colleges? Are they accepted into graduate schools at higher rates?

What exactly does the Academy do academic wise that is so outstanding? The vast majority of its graduates go on to be officers in the military, in which all of that "outstanding" academic preparation is completely unused.

Justify it if it makes you feel better, but the USAFA is not the nationally recognized institution that you cadets seem to think it is.

The Academy is the largest producer of pilots and officers for the Air Force. About 96% of us here don't give two shits about how good the academics are, we just care if we get a pilot slot and a good education. Maybe that's our problem.

I'm not going to get into this conversation except to point out the extraneous use of the word "The." It's not "the USAFA". The only place "the" belongs is in front of Ohio State.

You mean the Ohio State that is probably going to lose to Mich State and if not, definitely lose to Florida State?

Ha ha, sorry, but the USAFA vs Ivy League compared to a running back vs corner back got me thinking football. Good analogy, by the way.

You mean the Ohio State that is probably going to lose to Mich State and if not, definitely lose to Florida State?

Ha ha, sorry, but the USAFA vs Ivy League compared to a running back vs corner back got me thinking football. Good analogy, by the way.

but yet you still screwed it up!

I saw what I missed out on. I'm glad I did. Because after a weekend of hitting the slopes and the beers equally hard, we were back to work, jumping out of airplanes and learning Russian. I feel like we got the best of both worlds. I got to party my ass off and still feel like I accomplished something come Friday.

This. I mean, there are some things I really did miss. Having to pay tuition. Room and board. Another job to pay the bills. Being a TA maybe. I could have had the gourmet dining at CC rather than Mitch's mountains.... I guess jumping out of planes, flying other planes, and skiing all winter just won't cut it. :airman:

I'm not sure if cadets don't understand it or refuse to believe it, but they really just don't even start to comprehend on what you missed out on. No fault of your own, I'm sure drinking on a Friday night felt like madness after wearing a uniform 5 days a week and marching a parade to eat lunch before going back to get your dorm room in inspection order.

Edited by check6
  • Upvote 1