Study: Nuclear Force Feeling 'Burnout' from Work

M2

Op-Ed; Morale(?) is High in Nuclear Force. "HIGH" seems to be the key word/concept. The USAF Nuclear Enterprise;

Where they do more then just Aim HIGH, now pass the Doobie.

http://www.airforcetimes.com/article/20140111/NEWS01/301110003/Op-Ed-Morale-high-nuclear-force

That article really highlights the false reality that a lot of commanders live in.

• Upvote 6

Op-Ed; Morale(?) is High in Nuclear Force. "HIGH" seems to be the key word/concept. The USAF Nuclear Enterprise;Where they do more then just Aim HIGH, now pass the Doobie.http://www.airforcetimes.com/article/20140111/NEWS01/301110003/Op-Ed-Morale-high-nuclear-force

The comments section of the article says it all.

And that's two more guys who are off the schedule, so those remaining can pull more alerts, leading to more dissatisfaction, leading to more stupdity/mistakes/etc.

Sigh...

Still betting the current Administration says "shut 'em down" to "save" money and to cut the nukes to way below START. As he said he wanted to do.

The frontal lobotomy runs strong in this Spings wearer! That article reads as if it was a forced piece and it's supported with incredibly weak facts as to what is actually good about the job. Seriously, a fvcking hamburger and tater tots or Stars Wars decorations bought out of some young enlisted person's own paycheck for morale? My seventh grader could've composed a better structured article and a more convincing argument.

I've got several friends in the missile fields and have met many more. They all have the same thing in common- every one of them hates their job. It says a lot when Space and Missile guys are volunteering for any 365 they can find to get a break.

Edited by lj35driver

Just more evidence of how clueless "leadership" is about the state of the Air Force as a whole. If you think this mentality that there are no major problems is unique to the ICBM world you're crazy. Leaders in every aspect of the Air Force are genuinely convinced that the Air Force isn't broken in a fundamental way. They think that suicide, sexual assault, alcoholism, etc are all problems of individual airmen or maybe squadrons, and not symptoms of a far larger problem.

• Upvote 2

Just more evidence of how clueless "leadership" is about the state of the Air Force as a whole. If you think this mentality that there are no major problems is unique to the ICBM world you're crazy. Leaders in every aspect of the Air Force are genuinely convinced that the Air Force isn't broken in a fundamental way. They think that suicide, sexual assault, alcoholism, etc are all problems of individual airmen or maybe squadrons, and not symptoms of a far larger problem.

This. And that is the difference between leadership and management/oversight. Leaders connect with their people...they have the pulse of the squadron/group/wing and they aren't afraid to admit there is a problem and fix it. Managers manage numbers and spreadsheets and don't think about personnel impact from their decisions, they just know it works on paper...and it is why they are disconnected from the people they manage. They would rather do nothing and let the problem hopefully take care of itself, if not, hide itself until after they've checked their box and have moved on.

The fact that this commander didn't realize the importance of "time off" with family tells me she's been clueless for a while now. Worst part...I'd say she's the "average" commander out there. I've seen very few of the ones who can connect with their people...very few.

But hey, this more with less thing is going to work one of these days....

Her article is hilarious if you read it as tongue-in-cheek: tator tots and star wars crap on the walls mean happy missile crews and 3rd graders, alike!

Any chance she's part of that drug abuse ring?

What's this chef they speak of? Is that like the nav playing with the oven?

There's a services airman who works at the missile alert facility and cooks for the topside cops and underground missileers. Some are really good, some not so much.

While I don't believe a blanket condemnation of all ICBM leadership is in order (although I saw my share of boneheads back in the 80s as a CGO, and as a senior officer in the mid-to-late 2000s), there can be no argument with the fact that since the end of the cold war in the early 90s, and McPeak's misguided experiment (which still haunts us), AF leadership has not been able to articulate a "new" nuclear vision that resonates with anyone.

I've discussed this with several friends who have had senior leadership positions in the ICBM world (as have I), and we've come to the conclusion we'll be hearing about screw-ups in the nuclear arena for the forseeable future because of the following:

- At the national level, over the course of four US presidential administrations, there has been no attempt to "recalibrate" our nuclear strategy to bring it in line with a post cold-war context that makes sense

- Despite lip service to contrary, few in the AF senior leadership really gives a rat's you-know-what about nukes, beyond covering their a$$es and not screwing up their promotion potential

- The proliferation of the internet and easy communication with the media has made mistakes, missteps, and wrongdoing easier for someone other thn PA to "upchannel" to the media (not sure there is more bad stuff happening than in the old days, but I am very sure it is easier for word of those deeds to be leaked or released to the media)

Just my .02 cents...

K

Edited by Colokent

Not saying the Sq/CC above was not clueless..she was. However, this is a much bigger issue than a handful of crappy subordinate commanders at the ICBM wings...

Clearly, the foundation in nukes is corroded and in need of redefinition.

K

Edited by Colokent

Not saying the Sq/CC above was not clueless..she was. However, this is a much bigger issue than a handful of crappy subordinate commanders at the ICBM wings...

K I guess the question becomes.....is the system safe enough to remain on line? You would think that since the consequences of an "incident" could be so serious, the Chief of staff would be camped out in NODAK until the question is decided.

.............................................Lt. get my stars warmed up And hike up that skirt.............................

K

Dismantle the Triad. Remove the bombers, downsize the silos. Subs are a go.

Done. 6900 less people on PRP, the morale of entire cities just went up by orders of magnitude. Next....

• Upvote 3