Guard/Reserve Helicopter Units

Nasty2004

My brother-in-law is a junior in college and recently told my wife he was interested in flying military helos. Anyone have any insight as to whether the Guard & Reserve helo units hire off the street? Thanks.

pro-tip: clear and concise goes a long way in aviation.

but then again, I guess your not the one interested in flying; your wife's college aged brother is the flyboy in the family.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Getting hired off the streets is a challenge but it really depends on the unit. Every unit seems to have different preferences for what they want. Some units will only hire priors as they believe it will ensure success- but I would argue that the number of units that do this are very limited.

With that said, I've rushed 6 different units when I was looking to get hired and here's what I was told they were looking for

*Good AFOQT scores / PCSM scores

*Prior aviation experience

*Good person to be around (all units want this- because if you're upset at a coworker at an office you can walk away- the space to do this in an aircraft is much more limited and throwing people off the aircraft is usually frowned upon).

Since all units are extremely interested in what kind of person you are- I would say he needs to make connections and go talk to the units he's interested in. From there, they'll let him know what they want in particular.

Good luck, it's kind of you to help family out!