Shooting at LAX

Fuzz

LA Police Chief repeatedly refers to the shooters weapon as an 'assault rifle'. From the photo it looks like either a Mini14 or AR-15. Hard to tell from the angle. I'd be willing to bet my next paycheck though that it isn't an actual 'assault rifle'.

Additionally, it has a pistol grip, detachable mag, and looks like a telescoping stock...which are all on the No-Fun list in California. How could this be?? :nob:

• Upvote 1

Additionally, it has a pistol grip, detachable mag, and looks like a telescoping stock...which are all on the No-Fun list in California. How could this be?? :nob:

Recently on the no fun list. They were all illegal features, then were made legal by the 10-rd fixed magazine and 'bullet button' tool-required mag release, then recently made illegal again.

So glad to be out of CA and not have to worry about the knee-jerk effect. So...how long until FrankenFeinstein starts back at it again?

• Upvote 1

So...how long until FrankenFeinstein starts back at it again?

Implying she has ever stopped. To her, more words on paper will do the trick to stop these things form happening. Although, that is assuming she actually believes that it is for improving public safety as opposed to a deeper rooted desire for public control. I digress.

1424515_10151968563856212_1375410930_n.j

The FBI and law enforcement partners are investigating a shooting that occurred this morning at Los Angeles International Airport. The suspect (pictured) has been identified as Paul Anthony Ciancia, 23, of Los Angeles. Anyone with information about this case is asked to contact the FBI at 888-226-8443. More at: http://www.fbi.gov/losangeles/press-releases/2013/seeking-information-in-los-angeles-airport-shootings

I think this guy with a similar name is who he is being confused with: https://www.facebook.com/paul.ciancia.3

Not sure if there is any relation or connection, but from this article I doubt he worked for the government:

Paul Anthony Ciancia 'LAX Shooter:' Five Facts You Need To Know

Saw a report earlier today (I think from LA Times) quoting TSA spokesman that the subject is not and has never been a TSA agent, and has no official relationship with TSA (sorry don't have reference). Although it looks like he obviously had some kind of issue with them, I haven't seen anything specifically yet to explain why.

I know most of us aren't crazy about the TSA, but no one should have to go through this on the job. Here's to the slain officer's family, the wounded and the crew/pax/LAX people who have their lives disrupted in one way or another by this jerk.

• Upvote 1

I read this and immediately thought the same people who want weapons removed from the public could use this as justification to arm TSA agents at all security checkpoints.

So I googled it and whadayaknow...

Yeah, those are definitely the guys/gals I want packing heat. Are there holsters big enough for them?

Serious question: what's the difference between select TSA agents being armed as long as they are just as trained/qualified as anyone with a concealed carry?

Caveat: I'm not a gun guy.

Edited by Champ Kind

Serious question: what's the difference between select TSA agents being armed as long as they are just as trained/qualified as anyone with a concealed carry?

Caveat: I'm not a gun guy.

Most people that care to CC, care to train more than the mins. I'm guessing sharp TSA agents will go to the range when forced. I don't want them carrying.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Heck, if you have a security checkpoint, you need some sort of armed security to actually enforce it. Otherwise it's just administrative. It's not that hard to figure out...although all across the nation we do this every day. "No weapons" is the policy, but they'll have to call 911 for someone to actually enforce it. The only good I see that doing is forcing bad guys to start attacking people earlier in the trip.

Give security types guns AND make sure they are trained. Seems we, as a nation, aren't that great at the second half.

• Downvote 1

Several airports I fly from have an overwatch station with armed police officers (airport or local city police) behind the TSA checkpoint. I don't know if this would stop a determined cretin with a military weapon, but it seems like a reasonable approach (better than arming TSA agents).

They only recently removed armed police from the checkpoints:

"McClain said he did not want to speculate why the officers were removed from the checkpoints. He added, however, that the association has been concerned about staffing levels at LAX.

Although roving patrols were started at the beginning of the year, McClain said officers tried to have a response time of two minutes to reach areas of the terminals they were assigned to."

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-lax-shooting-multiple-tsa-agents-shot-by-gunman-with-rifle-20131101,0,4682951.story#axzz2jRG9Dsjj

They only recently removed armed police from the checkpoints:

"McClain said he did not want to speculate why the officers were removed from the checkpoints. He added, however, that the association has been concerned about staffing levels at LAX.

Although roving patrols were started at the beginning of the year, McClain said officers tried to have a response time of two minutes to reach areas of the terminals they were assigned to."

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-lax-shooting-multiple-tsa-agents-shot-by-gunman-with-rifle-20131101,0,4682951.story#axzz2jRG9Dsjj

The roving patrols were started to help combat boredom in the TSA job. Link

A law enforcement source told CNN on Saturday that airport police officers had complained to their union about being "bored with the assignment" of being stationed behind the TSA checkpoint. Concurrently, TSA management complained that airport police officers weren't paying attention -- sometimes perusing their phones, using iPads or reading books on the job -- according to the same source.Then came "a fix" agreed to by TSA and airport police management, to keep officers in the public areas but position them in front of the checkpoints, including the one where Friday's shooting began. Part of the deal was that officers would never be more than two minutes from the checkpoint screening area, if needed