Is the KC-10 going to be cut?

JackaL

Look my recent post in the sequestration thread. They're certainly thinking about it as a buffer for other aircraft/programs.

Captured. Thanks

Here's why sequestration in 2016 would be very bad for the Air Force.So let's look at America's last 10 years of signing NDAA's in consideration of the FY start date. This obviously doesn't account for the Continuing Resolutions (CR's), but my point is CR's don't provide the fiscal certainty for planning and projecting. The NDAA is the bedrock upon which we base our acquisitions, personnel levels, development/research funding, and nearly everything else. CR's are only a band-aid.

Possible FY16 sequestration level actions that directly impact readiness include:

- Divest the KC-10 fleet (cuts 13 percent of available refueling booms and 21 percent of fuel capacity)

o Airpower could be late to the fight. Sustaining operations would be difficult, especially in the Pacific.

The CNS/ATM mod is fully funded for FY15, with several jets completed. One modded jet left OKC today (as scheduled), the next one in line for mod arrived at OKC on Monday.

The partial mobilization of the AFRC KC-10 squadrons continues on. When questioned about it, the quote from my SQ/CC this weekend was "There's no end in sight.". I'm expecting my mob notification/orders for my next desert rotation in the next couple weeks.

We're still hiring; we just had a pilot hiring board this weekend.

I think we'll be around for at least a few more years...

Glad to hear that.

To quote Gen Welsh: "if sequestration returns for FY16, we will have to consider the future of the KC-10." Did the other 24 jets and the rest of the sims get funded for CNS/ATM? I'm out of the loop on that.

Hope they get it fixed and keep the -10.

With the talk of a Pacific Pivot, the -10 would seem ideal for those distances between US / friendly islands.

Did the other 24 jets and the rest of the sims get funded for CNS/ATM? I'm out of the loop on that.

Haven't heard about that yet either. Hopefully they will...

• 9 months later...

Haven't heard about that yet either. Hopefully they will...

Any update on upgrades or on cancellation talk from the squadrons?

I know this got vetoed, but if this 2016 NDAA language sticks, it seems promising: 

SEC. 146. PROHIBITION ON AVAILABILITY OF FUNDS FOR RETIREMENT OF KC–10 AIRCRAFT.

(a) Prohibition.—Except as provided by subsection (b), none of the funds authorized to be appropriated by this Act or otherwise made available for fiscal years 2016 or 2017 for the Air Force may be obligated or expended to retire, or prepare to retire, any KC–10 aircraft.

(b) Exception.—The prohibition in subsection (a) shall not apply to individual KC–10 aircraft that the Secretary of the Air Force determines, on a case-by-case basis, to be non-operational because of mishaps, other damage, or being uneconomical to repair.

• 2 years later...
On 10/27/2013 at 1:41 PM, Stank said:

I feel a little guilty taking so much pleasure in this thread...

The most arrogant community in AMC, the ones who think by some incredible quirk of mathematics that great pilots exist only in the KC-10 while every other airframe is full of incompetent dweebs, the ones who treat other AMC aircrew deadheading on their jet worse than they treat space-A pax, the ones who can't talk to other AMC crew dogs for more than five minutes without telling them how much they suck or how incredibly gifted KC-10 pilots are.

This incredible flying community, a gift to our nation from the almighty, has been told by big blue: GO AWAY, WE DON'T NEED YOU, WE'LL BE JUST FINE WITHOUT YOU.

On behalf of KC-135, C-130, and C-17 flyers everywhere: before you start showing up at "slums" like Altus, Little Rock or McConnell and flying our crappy jets, remember to leave your gucci bags and arrogance on your KC-10s when you drop them off at the boneyard.

It’s still flying.  Hope you’re not too upset still.

• Like 1