Stank

This week I received an e-mail from my base's EO office:

EQUAL OPPORTUNITY OFFICE. Leadership opportunity available; EO is seeking 5
project officers for the following committees: Martin Luther King Day / Jan
2014, African American Heritage Month / February 2014, Women's History Month
/ March 2014, Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month / May 2014
and Pride Month / June 2014. To be considered, a completed nomination form
with supervisor endorsement should be delivered to the EO Office,

"Pride Month" corresponds to Gay Pride or LGBT Pride Month, which happens in June.

This seems a little ridiculous.

Anyone want to volunteer? Great OPR bullet...

I must have heard the briefings wrong. I was told that there is absolutely no difference in a person based on their sexual orientation, and that it is a demographic that should not factor into anything relating to work.

Sooo...now there is work time set aside specifically to celebrate the thing that is not supposed to matter to anyone except the individual (because sex is private and only matters what happens behind closed doors).

Then again, my beef with all this is a loosing battle anyway. I keep trying to get them to do a sudsy booth at the Asian Heritage Month party, and it keeps getting shot down. Guess having accurate parties is not a priority...but hey, it's a party. Any excuse to shut down support functions is good in my book.

• Upvote 4

Sooo...now there is work time set aside specifically to celebrate the thing that is not supposed to matter to anyone except the individual (because sex is private and only matters what happens behind closed doors).

This.

Fine, you're gay. Good for you. I don't give a fuck. Why in the holy hell do we have to celebrate the fact that a relative few of us like to play with members of the same team? Maybe it's really a sinister plan to more easily identify...those people. Because that's the only way it makes sense to me...

Edited by Spoo

Don't assume it's the gays pushing for DoD to celebrate pride month. Look to the same people who support/promote Black/Asian/Hispanic/Woman/spaghetti monster pride/heritage month.

Don't care? Don't participate (as much as mandatory fun allows).

Don't assume it's the gays pushing for DoD to celebrate pride month. Look to the same people who support/promote Black/Asian/Hispanic/Woman/spaghetti monster pride/heritage month.

Don't care? Don't participate (as much as mandatory fun allows).

I was absolutely not assuming that...that's the problem.

"Pride Month" corresponds to Gay Pride or LGBT Pride Month, which happens in June.

This seems a little ridiculous.

Anyone want to volunteer? Great OPR bullet...

I GUARANTEE, beyond the shadow of any doubt that not only will a FAIP volunteer for this, but EVERY FAIP will be FIGHTING for the "opportunity" of this.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I think there will be minimal people raising their hands for this and be told to do it.

Hmmm....philosophical question here: Can the AF tell you do something if it goes against your conscience? Not saying it goes against mine (I just wouldn't want to do it because I think all those 'heritage' months are stupid and hypocritical), but what if it's something you have a legitimate problem with? Like what if an atheist is asked to plan the 'Holiday/Xmas' party and well, that goes against their conscience? Chaplains aren't required to marry gay couples if it goes against their conscience.

says who?

This. Though I'm sure it's someone's O-4 board soon and I think that was what mat was referring to--would someone volunteer for this/not say they wouldn't do it all because they fear not getting a DP, etc? Guarantee there's quite a few people out there who fall into this category.

Like what if an atheist is asked to plan the 'Holiday/Xmas' party and well, that goes against their conscience?

Atheist here...a bro had something come up so I took over Chrismahanukwanzaka party planning. Took it as an opportunity to make the party as fun as possible and ignore any religious overtones. I'm pretty sure it was a good time... :drinking:

• Upvote 3

Ok, no shit, when I saw the title to this thread I was thinking something along the lines of "Heritage" or "Air Force Pride" month...not sexual preference pride month.

This is out of control. Please, Liquid, someone explain to me how the Air Force intends to rid the service of inappropriate sexual talk and behavior in the workplace when we now have an entire month celebrating someone's SEXual preference. I don't care if anyone is gay...I don't have to know it. They can do their jobs just fine without me knowing their sexual preference. If you're celebrating your sexuality at the workplace AND the Air Force or DoD is sanctioning it, then you are in fact endorsing inappropriate sexual talk and behavior at the workplace. There are no exceptions to those who prefer the homosexual lifestyle. 69 is not ok but 66 is? I'm sure 69 happens to be a sexual preference to a lot of people...but we don't have to express it at work an entire month out of the year.

UFB!

• Upvote 7

Atheist here...a bro had something come up so I took over Chrismahanukwanzaka party planning. Took it as an opportunity to make the party as fun as possible and ignore any religious overtones. I'm pretty sure it was a good time... :drinking:

Good on you man. I'm all about helping buds in need. But my question still stands--what happens when someone is 'tasked' with doing something (such as planning a holiday party, gay pride luncheon, etc) when it goes against their conscience? You volunteered (I'm assuming) to help out...what about when guys don't volunteer and take issue with the event?

Ok, no shit, when I saw the title to this thread I was thinking something along the lines of "Heritage" or "Air Force Pride" month...not sexual preference pride month.

This is out of control. Please, Liquid, someone explain to me how the Air Force intends to rid the service of inappropriate sexual talk and behavior in the workplace when we now have an entire month celebrating someone's SEXual preference. I don't care if anyone is gay...I don't have to know it. They can do their jobs just fine without me knowing their sexual preference. If you're celebrating your sexuality at the workplace AND the Air Force or DoD is sanctioning it, then you are in fact endorsing inappropriate sexual talk and behavior at the workplace. There are no exceptions to those who prefer the homosexual lifestyle. 69 is not ok but 66 is? I'm sure 69 happens to be a sexual preference to a lot of people...but we don't have to express it at work an entire month out of the year.

UFB!

Of course it's out of control...but none of us should be surprised, I know I'm not. Go back a couple years and look at old threads--most of us predicted this would happen in one form or another. To be honest and to be quite fair though, I don't have any problems with a gay pride month in the military any more than I do with black heritage month, women's month, asian american month, blah blah blah. They all single out a certain group, which like you mentioned, we have been told not to do. But what does make the gay issue worse is that when black troops were open up to all career fields, integrated with the rest of the troops, etc, well that was it as official policy was concerned (somebody please correct me if I'm wrong though as I have not researched this history that closely). Obviously racism was still occurring on a case by case basis that were much more numerous early on but improved greatly over the years. But now, 2 gay guys can room together in a pod when downrange, a gay guy and a straight guy can room together (same combos for the women), but yet I can't room with a chick or shower with them. So the politicians and leadership advanced the story that 'sexual orientation and gender do not matter', but only for certain instances, not for all of them. When the military is ran by politicians, this is what you get...not saying we shouldn't be run by civilians, just saying I wish politics didn't influence what our military is supposed to do. I know I know...always been that way, always will be that way.

I hear you brother! I don't have a problem with gay pride month either...it is the double standard I have a problem with. On one hand we get our offices purged of Hooter's calendars, men's magazines, etc because they are materials of a sexual nature, yet we celebrate the sexuality of a small group of people. Either you let sexuality in the workplace or you don't. I'm sorry, I just don't think anyone's sexual preference should draw any extra attention in the workplace unless EVERYONE's sexual preference is celebrated in the workplace. I take pride in the fact that I love boobs...but for some reason, I'm not allowed to express that at work. Explain why pride month is ok, but my Hooters calendar girl of the month isn't? I know, I'll never get a real explanation that makes any sense.

By the way, I think at least cultural awareness months can be observed by everyone. I'm not Asian, but I can enjoy some Asian culture and food and even a sudsy booth....what does a heterosexual get out of gay pride month? What does ANYONE get out of gay pride month?

Ok, rant off. I know I won't win this battle...

Being gay ain't about the sex. I mean, if you want to keep imagining it, have at it. Are you straight for banging chicks or loving chicks? (Well both, right, but which one is the go to work conversation). I'm sure the gays around are more likely to talk about their boyfriend/girlfriend or husband/wife in the same context as a straight person would. In fact, I know they are. A gay guy bringing in Chippendale's photos is the same as the straight guy bringing in Hooters.... I don't see the problem.

Again, if you don't like gay pride month, ignore it as much as you'd ignore all the other heritage months (I know I do). Besides nsplayer's picture, maybe you'll get a fabulous office renovation out of it. Who knows.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1