PCS Damage inspection - Do I have the right to see it?

Spaceballs

I can't find any information on this and my local TMO people haven't been of any help. Basically, the moving company destroyed quite a few things during my last move. They had an inspection company come out to do a claim inspection, then the moving company sent me an offer for the damages on DPS. I called the inspection company and asked for a copy of the results, but they said the inspection is confidential between the moving company and them. I then contacted the moving company and everyone I have talked to so far say that they need someone else's permission to send the report and that person isn't around. They also did not upload the inspection to DPS. Is there anything that says someone has to furnish me a copy of the report or that they have to upload it to DPS? I don't see what would keep them from getting a report that says repair would cost $2500, then offering $1000. Thanks guys.

Did you file the "Loss or Damage" reports on DPS? Or make a claim via DPS. I believe the claim has to be initiated by you. If you have receipts proving the value of the stuff you lost, then you can provide them through DPS. The carrier should reimburse you at FRV.

Edited by Muscle2002

I made the claim already via DPS and the moving company hired an inspector to inspect the damages. The inspector made a report and sent it back to the moving company, who then made offers for the damages they caused. No one will give me a copy of the inspection report though, so I have no way of knowing if I am being offered a fair deal on the damages or if they are trying to screw me over. I would think the moving company would be obligated to give me a copy of the inspection, but so far no one will let me see the report.

I went thru this knowing they would try to screw me. Lost a bunch of items due to water damage/mover admitted theft and I made a list of everything on a spreadsheet with new replacement cost. I mean everything....went to stores and took pictures of prices next to the new items. In reality, some of the items I would have given away for free. In the end my list totalled $4200, they offered around $3500 and I took it. If you think you are getting screwed keep fighting them.

Make them deliver it.

All of it.

Then inspect and make your claim.

Take lots of pictures.

(If you accept their offer then they own the stuff they paid for)

Do this. They're fucking you if they won't let you see the report.

Edit: I read your post again and am unclear on whether or not they've already delivered your HHG. If they haven't delivered them, then wtf are they waiting for? If they have, then you would know the damage and the replacement cost. I'm missing something here.

Edited by BADFNZ

• 3 years later...

Got my HHG delivered, and a few items were completely smashed.  The DPS move.mil site says for claims I'll need "to include the inventory number, year of purchase, and purchase cost. "

Anyone have luck filing out a claim?  No way in hell I'll remember when and how much I bought a CRT TV and some floor lamps for...

I do have some awesome pics of the smashed goods though, along with the horrible job the carrier did of crating up my goods.

edit - Also, what do they do for furniture that gets cosmetically damaged?  Dressers and bed furniture wasnt packed well, so all the edges are badly chipped

Edited by rancormac
old age

We've had good luck with HHG reimbursements.  The DPS process is much improved from the old paper way.  We haven't claimed any large damages but mostly damaged/broken picture frames, furniture damage for which we were offered a very reasonable replacement cost refund pretty quickly.  Your mileage will for sure vary with different companies.  

Initially it's a negotiation with the carrier ... so shoot for the moon. Once they've made/paid their final offer, you can follow up with base legal (the old way) for anything you don't think was fully covered. 

They will find your shit online. I way overpriced my items thinking they would never find out what I paid. They dug pretty deep and gave me what the retail number was. Took about a month. They will offer you a percentage of the damage item, the cost to fix it, or the cost to replace it depending on the damage. 

Agreed that you should start high and then it all depends on the moving company initially.  I just finished this process a few months ago and actually felt the end result was fine although it took a lot of time.  They lost about a dozen boxes and they offered me the full amount claimed for everything they lost.  I put in a rough guess on replacement costs for various things that were totaled.  They offered on average about 2/3 the amount I claimed for broken stuff.  Make sure you don't get rid of anything unless it is dangerous to keep (broken glass, etc).  Even with pictures, I was offered nothing for a couple things I threw out saying the "damage was not able to be verified".  I over-estimated broken and damaged things to leave room for their counter-offer, which ended up being pretty fair.

I had a couple of things show up damaged once before.  One was a trash can so badly smashed it could no longer stand up and had pieces falling off of it.  Guy brings it inside and says to me (as he lays it down putting multiple pieces on the pile), "Was it like this when you shipped it?"  You can't make this shit up...

Another damaged item I took countless pics of (before and after), found the place online where I bought it, and added the website and link for it in my claim.  They countered with a 1/5th offer saying they found it somewhere else cheaper.  It wasn't even close to the same item (not even in the same universe)...  Took me numerous calls and more pictures because they couldn't understand how the item they found was any different.  Finally they offered me their final offer which was slightly more but still insulting and nowhere near what it took to replace my damaged good.  Few days later I get the request for a survey.  GLADLY filled that one out with my thoughts and experience, and of course when I clicked submit it said it was unable to submit.  Tried many more times over the next few weeks and got the same thing every time...coincidence? 

I called them up after not being able to leave a review, was essentially ignored, I called them crooks and that was that.  Didn't help at all but I felt better.

:beer: