C-130 TOLD Calculator

HerkPerfMan

On 3/9/2016 at 10:04 PM, The Ginger said:

Nothing cosmic. It's described in a -1-1 example. Say you were applying at 120 KCAS and releasing at 60.  On chart 2/3, you would calc 120, then slide down to 60. Carry the difference forward rather than computing 120 and 60 through all 3 charts. I'm not sure I agree, given these charts are exponential.....but it lets me do things I want to do.

The only way to do multiple heavyweight landings is to avoid braking below 60 KCAS so you can subtract that energy. Therefore,  reverse and stomp the hell out of the brakes 120-60, then try to reverse the rest. Brake temp sensors in brand new planes? Nope. Carbon brake charts? Nope. Heavyweight assaults per copilot per year? Eight.

Yep, I know that method for the brake energy and I can use it since it is in the -1-1. It qualifies as a "linear approximation" and was most likely developed to make it faster to run the charts by hand. I can actually try both methods and compare the results.

I agree that the brake management setup on the J is not modern by any definition of the word, but at least you have brake energy planning data and calculation methods on the J. The H-1-1 does not even mention brake energy limitations or cooling times and it has the same configuration.

I have distributed several 30-day trials of C-130J preTOLD for iPad and received very positive reviews - is anyone else interested in trying it out and introducing it around your squadron? If so, please sign up here. For now, I can only offer the trial to U.S. persons currently located within the U.S. But any others interested can view our demonstration video.

Edited by HerkPerfMan
embed video

• 1 year later...

Thread bump.

We finally broke through at AMC and our C-130J preTOLD app has been approved on the latest MAF EFB Baseline (v6.4). This means that the iOS app is approved for use on iPad EFBs and available through the USAF App Store.

For now, app licenses can be purchased at the OG, Wing, or Squadron level and HQ AMC will deploy the app via Blackberry UEM. We cannot sell licenses to individuals - they must be purchased by an operator organization (OG, Wing, Squadron, etc.). Please send me a PM with any questions or visit our website to start the ordering process.

Thanks for all the feedback on the app - we released v2.4.4 last month and are working to incorporate Block 8.1 configuration now.

7 hours ago, ThreeHoler said:

Congrats! Can you make a good KC-10 one?

It's certainly possible. We just need a copy of the latest tech pubs (-1-1)...and a paying customer.

Do you use a KC-10 ETOLD app now? If so, which platform(s) (iOS, Android, Windows, etc.), who made it, and why is it inadequate?

It's certainly possible. We just need a copy of the latest tech pubs (-1-1)...and a paying customer.
Do you use a KC-10 ETOLD app now? If so, which platform(s) (iOS, Android, Windows, etc.), who made it, and why is it inadequate?

I’ve been out of the airplane a few years for staff but when I left we were still using a crappy Excel “ETOLD” program that had some limitations. It definitely doesn’t work in all situations, is on a Windows laptop, and is not intuitive/easy to use. The good news is there is an FE to make it work or do it manually.

21 hours ago, ThreeHoler said:

I’ve been out of the airplane a few years for staff but when I left we were still using a crappy Excel “ETOLD” program that had some limitations. It definitely doesn’t work in all situations, is on a Windows laptop, and is not intuitive/easy to use. The good news is there is an FE to make it work or do it manually.

Most likely a home-cooked Excel solution from a Flight Engineer. I'm sure they would rather have an iPad solution. There are Software Maintenance Groups at Warner-Robins and Hill that have been trying to build iPad flight planning apps organically. They have big plans but I'm not sure they have delivered anything usable yet. Maybe KC-10 is on their list?

• 11 months later...

Thread bump, since the C-130J preTOLD app has been operational with several squadrons for more than 6 months. We're working on the next version, which will include Block 8.1 data and some other major updates. We want to make sure the app stays relevant and continues to address the daily needs of flight crews.

To current users at Little Rock, Dyess, Ramstein, and Yokota:

1. What features do you use the most, and how could they be improved?
  2. What problems to you still encounter in TOLD planning?
  3. Any other feedback on strengths, weaknesses, and use cases is sincerely appreciated.

14 hours ago, HerkPerfMan said:

Thread bump, since the C-130J preTOLD app has been operational with several squadrons for more than 6 months. We're working on the next version, which will include Block 8.1 data and some other major updates. We want to make sure the app stays relevant and continues to address the daily needs of flight crews.

To current users at Little Rock, Dyess, Ramstein, and Yokota:

1. What features do you use the most, and how could they be improved?
  2. What problems to you still encounter in TOLD planning?
  3. Any other feedback on strengths, weaknesses, and use cases is sincerely appreciated.

1. We mostly use it for pre flight planning, making sure we won’t have any issues landing or taking off from a runway, looking at 3 engine out issues and break energy.  

2. If the TOLD app could include the required mitigations necessary from the 1-1 that would be absolutely awesome. 

Overall, right now it has been a tremendous app for planning so thanks!!

13 hours ago, dream big said:

1. We mostly use it for pre flight planning, making sure we won’t have any issues landing or taking off from a runway, looking at 3 engine out issues and break energy.  

2. If the TOLD app could include the required mitigations necessary from the 1-1 that would be absolutely awesome. 

Overall, right now it has been a tremendous app for planning so thanks!!

Thank you! Happy to hear the app is streamlining preflight planning.

1. Is the Quick Turn Brake Energy tool useful for analyzing brake energy? Or do you mainly use the landing brake energy calculations on the Landing tab?

2. There are 3 mitigations currently included: VROT correction for VMCA, PLT Landing Weight Limits for 0% and 50% flaps, and Max Effort Landing Weight Limit. The next release will include the gust factor correction to the PLT Landing Weight limits, so that should cover all the current mitigations.

6 hours ago, HerkPerfMan said:

Thank you! Happy to hear the app is streamlining preflight planning.

1. Is the Quick Turn Brake Energy tool useful for analyzing brake energy? Or do you mainly use the landing brake energy calculations on the Landing tab?

2. There are 3 mitigations currently included: VROT correction for VMCA, PLT Landing Weight Limits for 0% and 50% flaps, and Max Effort Landing Weight Limit. The next release will include the gust factor correction to the PLT Landing Weight limits, so that should cover all the current mitigations.

1. The quick turn is definitely useful

2.  The 4th mitigation is the missing one, thanks!!