Is anyone flying?

Coxor

Is anyone flying this fiscal year? I'm in a bubble here at USAFA and all I know is that we're not flying (gliders, jump, powered) because of the shutdown. Today (most) of our civilians came back to work but no one knows when we will fly again.

Yeah, I figured someone was. Who determines that? Who is "mission essential" or whatever the term is? Like Randolph, USAFA's flying programs fall under AETC but we're not flying yet.

Edited by Coxor

My understanding is that any FTU that is providing pilots to warfighting units, both those in ACC and AETC, as well as IFF and UPT units are still flying. USAFA isn't because they don't feed the supply chain.

we're flying, with no curtailment. Early last week the guidance was only those who were about to deploy could fly, but by Thurs that guidance had changed to keep flying, no restrictions on who can fly. We're scheduling the same number of lines as we normally do, with the same ASD, as well.

Yeah, I figured someone was. Who determines that? Who is "mission essential" or whatever the term is? Like Randolph, USAFA's flying programs fall under AETC but we're not flying yet.

Why would USAFA be mission essential (as far as flying goes)? It isn't like you get any actual ratings there.

UPT is chugging along btw.

Using jets to target people who don't sign up for the exchanges or pay the penalty?

Well played sir...nod to the political nerds out there.

We (U-28s) seem to be flying 100% as fragged. The FTU is max blast (standard) and the operational squadron that is home appears to be flying a normal amount of lines as well.

To be fair, you don't fly. I keed, I keed, cracks in the armor yet?

Weaknesses Noted: You missed a solid opportunity to use "chinks" in a sentence without being overtly racist.

Recommendation: Re-accomplish your annual fighter pilot anti-sensitivity training CBT.

Edited by nsplayr

We (test in the Eglin area) haven't been flying, mostly because the range was basically shut down due to the civilians on furlough. Now the flying is turned back on, but only for the limited amount of money available...no FY14 money yet. JSF never stopped beating up the pattern though.

BONE FTU is back to flying, with the direction to fly "only what is necessary to accomplish training". Last month, the goal was to squeeze in a couple extra tenths of an hour every sortie, now we're trying to save every tenth.

The contract academics guys still aren't back to work, though...we've got a class that has done no training for about two weeks now.

We are only getting maintenance test flights and NVG reset flights in my squadron. I logged 1.0 to reset goggles yesterday. Next weeks schedule has one flight on it, for one hour.