Ever Considered Expating?

Grabby

I can't believe people are even considering this. Being born American is like winning the lottery, have some pride and loyalty and get behind the Stars and Stripes.  We will never be perfect but we are still the city on a hill.

The weather must be pretty nice up there on your high horse with your rose-colored glasses.

I suppose being an informed voter, a good parent, a regular volunteer, and a tax payer doesn't qualify me to have an opinion about where and how I want to live my life after I give 20+ years of service to a branch of the armed forces.

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I can't believe people are even considering this. Being born American is like winning the lottery, have some pride and loyalty and get behind the Stars and Stripes. We will never be perfect but we are still the city on a hill.

Noted and shredded.

I'll serve the remainder of my time honorably without fail, pass the torch to the next generation, and then I'll do whatever the hell suits me.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I can't believe people are even considering this. Being born American is like winning the lottery, have some pride and loyalty and get behind the Stars and Stripes. We will never be perfect but we are still the city on a hill.

Some of us have other things to consider- like the promise you made to your wife 11 years ago that once you retire you'll move back to her country so that she can be near her family that she rarely ever gets to see.

But feel free to malign our intentions as to WHY we may choose to live in another nation.

Relax, young explorer. I think most folks are just thinking about going some place where the American dollar goes a bit further and/or the weather is a bit nicer. From Post #39 of this thread....

I think you guys are overreacting to the term expat.

"An expatriate (sometimes shortened to expat) is a person temporarily or permanently residing in a country and culture other than that of the person's upbringing. The word comes from the Latin terms ex ("out of") and patria ("country, fatherland")."

Being an expat doesn't necessarily mean giving up your citizenship or turning your back on your country. I'd gladly move to some diving haven like Belize for a few years.

I'd consider Chile. They have a pretty stable, transparent govt now. It's affordable, they allow guns, no nanny state or any "Viva la revolution" talk, and they are very expat-friendly. Spanish would be easy to pick up and many speak English...plus they have a significant European influence, particularly German.

I'd consider Chile. They have a pretty stable, transparent govt now. It's affordable, they allow guns, no nanny state or any "Viva la revolution" talk, and they are very expat-friendly. Spanish would be easy to pick up and many speak English...plus they have a significant European influence, particularly German.

Been to Chile, its like Europe only more orderly, it's nothing like the rest of Latin America. Actually not a bad choice. You could live there Sep to May and in the US May to Sep and always enjoy summer.

• 4 months later...