Ever Considered Expating?

Grabby

The wife and I are moving to Australia upon my retirement (which keeps moving to the right- I'm a glutton for punishment). But I haven't put hardly any thought as to whether or not I'll give up my citizenship.

After extended TDY's to Germany and the "German Chicks in Dirndls and Beer" thread, I always thought a small farmhouse in Bavaria would be a great retirement. Then I wake up and realize Europe is as equally fooked, if not moreso, than we are in the States. Sechs one way, half a dozen the other...

I'm not serving 22+ years to turn my back on the greatest nation on Earth. The only one born of the love of Liberty, the one whose Constitution I've sworn to protect and defend. My loyalties run deeper than my irritation at our current Congress, Administration, and Court.

That said, I may get a Condo in Costa Rica, just for fun and to stretch my retirement $$.

• Upvote 3

My wife is Thai, so I'll have a house there. I'll split my time between Thailand, Palau, and visiting family/friends in Texas.

Spent 7 months in Palau. It's the only country the U.S. has a compact of free association with. We can go there for 1 year no questions asked, and their citizens can stay here indefinitely and serve in our military. Best kept secret in my opinion.

http://www.economist.com/node/21541391

http://beforeitsnews.com/libertarian/2013/05/the-blank-slate-state-2503384.html

For a nutty but thouroghly committed liberatarian like myself, these "free cities" hold some real promise. If they do end up panning out (I have my doubts the the governments involved will keep thier promises to keep out) I will at the very least spend some of my time in one of these places.

I've been looking into it a lot. Granted I have the better part of a decade left on my commitment but hey it never hurts to dream, hell that's the only way to stay sane in some communities. I haven't looked into dropping citizenship but I've read a lot of articles lately about more americans doing it to avoid paying double taxes, and some americans abroad who are having serious issues getting banks to even take their money because the new tax laws are so complicated the foreign banks don't want to deal with it. There are a lot of countries where gringos can live like kings, english is common, health care is cheaper with a similar 1st world quality, everything you could want a cheap flight away, and the women flock to you like the salmon of Capistrano. Granted there are some drawbacks but I've met a ton of civilian expats who are living the dream too. I can think of worse ways to spend your time than living abroad in a tropical locale with the option to come home whenever you want. Costa Rica or Clovis? Minot or Belize? Cambodia or Creech? Holloman or Hong Kong?

I will say don't forget about looking into property ownership laws. A lot of countries won't let foreigners own real estate, but there are a lot of 99 year leases too.

http://www.expatforum.com/

http://www.economist.com/node/21541391

http://beforeitsnews...te-2503384.html

For a nutty but thouroghly committed liberatarian like myself, these "free cities" hold some real promise. If they do end up panning out (I have my doubts the the governments involved will keep thier promises to keep out) I will at the very least spend some of my time in one of these places.

I was stationed at Soto Cano for a year. Honduras is an awesome, but dangerous place to live. I would never live where they are talking about building these cities. You'd probably be much safer setting up a town in Camp Bastion or FOB Shank.

Yeah, but do we build a wall at the Red River to keep all the troublemakers out?

Nah.... maybe build a wall somewhere else because the rest of the Midwest would follow Texas if needed.... being from the Midwest (or heartland as some call it...aka not Ohio midwest) myself...

I was stationed at Soto Cano for a year. Honduras is an awesome, but dangerous place to live. I would never live where they are talking about building these cities. You'd probably be much safer setting up a town in Camp Bastion or FOB Shank.

Yeah definitely something that has to be worked out, the Honduran free city idea was a little shaky because they were leaving security to the Honduran Gov't, like you said probably not a good idea. I believe John Mackey (founder of Whole Foods and a pretty committed classic liberal) also has a free city idea that he'd like to get going in Costa Rica where they citizens would be solely responsible for their own security. Both may be dangerous to start but my rational brain tells me that once these places are up and going, the crime and poverty that's so endemic would start to fade away.

Edited by Catbox

If you're looking at South/Central America, Costa Rica would be my #1 pick for an expat/holiday/bugout location. Beautiful, relatively safe and secure vs all the other options, and it has a good economy that's not completely dependent on the drug trade.

• Upvote 1