Jump to content
Baseops Forums
rotorguy

Can anyone give recent FC1/MFS Experience?

Recommended Posts

Does anyone have an idea of the FC1 stamped approval time? I’m a reserve hire and was at wright-patt 6/25/18 with no waivers. Recruiter said this morning that he sent an email out for a follow up. I figured I’d check on here if anyone had gotten it stamped faster than two months recently. Thanks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, ssup said:

Does anyone have an idea of the FC1 stamped approval time? I’m a reserve hire and was at wright-patt 6/25/18 with no waivers. Recruiter said this morning that he sent an email out for a follow up. I figured I’d check on here if anyone had gotten it stamped faster than two months recently. Thanks. 

I think they normally say 4 to 6 weeks, but I believe AETC (the MAJCOM responsible for stamping physicals) is a little behind so it could be a little longer than that right now.  It's also possible it's been stamped and your folks haven't notified you yet.  Anyone in the medical department should be able to check on the status by going into the electronic database called PEPP.  I don't know if recruiters can access that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, ssup said:

Does anyone have an idea of the FC1 stamped approval time? I’m a reserve hire and was at wright-patt 6/25/18 with no waivers. Recruiter said this morning that he sent an email out for a follow up. I figured I’d check on here if anyone had gotten it stamped faster than two months recently. Thanks. 

I had the same problem.  Im with the guard and it took about 2 months to get the final results back.  I asked my recruiter and he emailed our units medical place ( dont know what it is called) and the next day they were able to access it online. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks so much for the responses and information, guys. Seems like I should also get in touch with my hiring unit and see if they can get a way into the PEPP. It’s also reassuring to see that the FC1 stamp wait seems to be the norm at the moment. 

 

As as far as FC1 experience... all the previous and recent posts are accurate. Oddly enough, I can say that i had a pleasant experience. The staff at wright-patt are wonderful. The Air Force Museum was an absolute marvel. I could’ve spent a full day in each of those massive hangars. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ssup said:

Thanks so much for the responses and information, guys. Seems like I should also get in touch with my hiring unit and see if they can get a way into the PEPP. It’s also reassuring to see that the FC1 stamp wait seems to be the norm at the moment.

I wrapped up my FC1 at Peterson at the end of March.  Received word that it was stamped approved towards the end of June.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Update: Finally received the FC1 stamp this week. Looks like a solid 2 months for planning (or just waiting and thumb-twiddling) purposes. Reported to Wright-Patt 6/25

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Big thanks to everyone who has contributed thus far, plenty of reassuring posts to help prepare and relax.

Anyone on here scheduled for their FC1 at WP the week of Sept. 24?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/4/2018 at 12:56 PM, Waterhouse said:

Big thanks to everyone who has contributed thus far, plenty of reassuring posts to help prepare and relax.

Anyone on here scheduled for their FC1 at WP the week of Sept. 24?

yerp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, stuckindayton said:

An FC I can be done anywhere, but you'll come to Wright-Patt for the MFS exam if the FC I is not done at Wright-Patt.

Thank you for the response!

 

 My hiring unit recruiter is telling me I will do my FC1 at the co-located active duty squadron/med squadron. From my reading here https://www.wpafb.af.mil/Welcome/Fact-Sheets/Display/Article/853108/usafsam-fci-medical-flight-screening/, it's my understanding that I'll get OTS/UPT dates and then after OTS but prior to IFS, I'll head to Wright Patt for the MFS. Am I understanding that correctly? Can you get NGB approved, and dates/ go to OTS without a MFS? If so then would it then be possible on guard side to commission through OTS, and then for some reason have a hiccup or be disqualified during the MFS?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/8/2018 at 1:21 PM, JustHangingOut said:

Here is your weekly Flight Physical update.  Below is the list in order of what I did for my physical and a short description of each test.  I will do my best to maintain the integrity of tests and not give an answers away, but also try to give as much detail as I can to help prep you all for your exams.

I stayed at the on base hotel (google maps wright-Patterson inns and it will take you right there) I was in Group 1 which consisted of a combination of civilians, Guard, Reserve, and ROTC folks.  (group 2 looked like all ROTC).  We all rallied in room 100 of building 840 (google maps USAFSAM and it will take you there)(parking guidance is in page 3 of this thread) like everyone else here has talked about.  Yes, there was a TV, VHS tapes, two DVDs, a barely functioning PS2 for videos, and a non-functioning VHS/DVD combo player.  If I would have known half the stuff didn't work...I may have just brought my own Blu-ray player and some seasons of game of thrones and hooked it up.  The staff are super laid back, and probably wouldn't have cared.  Enough of that...let's get into the meat and potatoes of this post

Day 1 Activities

  1. EKG
    1. they put probes on your body and take readings.  nothing crazy.
  2. Medical History
    1. go into an office and go over your medical history.  This is typically the "shut your mouth" phase of a physical
  3. OVT (depth perception and near/far)
    1. I read through all the posts for tips and tricks on this.  I went all the way through groups A-F twice (with different patterns) and can confirm that the tips in this forum are accurate except the "no repeating theory."  If I remember correctly, I had one in each test with repeats.  So keep doing your eye exercises and you should be fine.  I practiced the Magic Eye 3D Books (checked them out from local library), and also practiced the "Brock String" eye exercise (really helpful youtube videos to explain the exercise)
  4. Red Lens test
    1. They will have these "glasses" that have two "frames" on them.  The guy will hold a light up in front of a "grid" on the wall with one hand.  With the other hand he positions one of the sets of frames in front of your eyes.  Each set has a red lens and the other is a clear.  One set of frames the clear lens at a different angle and makes you see double.  The instructor will move the light around the grid, while also switching "frames" that are in front of your eyes.  Your goal is to tell him if you see double, or you see a mix of the two.  I didn't get it at first (sounds stupid right), but as said before, the techs are awesome and help you out even when you're a dummy like me.
  5. Hearing
    1. you will be put in a glass case of emotion and listening for the most faint beeps and bloops ever.  Leave your cell phone outside...on airplane mode.  Hold your headphone cable and your remote cable from touching the wall.  You are in a sound proof box where it is easier to hear your own heart beat than these beeps they are testing you on.  I have heard of some guys wearing earplugs on the airplane flight over to keep their ears from compressing from the loud sound and pressure change....go for it...I cant confirm this to be effective as I drove to my appointment, but it sounds like a great idea to me.
  6. Vitals
    1. blood pressure and heart rate stuff...nothing crazy
  7. Eye Pressure/Measurement
    1. this is the..."look here!" and blast your eye with air test...and look into this bright thing so I can take picture of your eye ball!  Again, nothing crazy, just follow directions and you're good to go
  8. Dental
    1. Dentist looks at your grill.
  9. CCT (color blindness)
    1. so I was told the actual CCT was the old test and they now use something different (which I took). 
    2. You looked at a computer, the tech measured the distance you needed to sit away from it.  You wear a patch over one eye to test the open eye.  The light go out, they hand you a video game controller.  Your goal is to look at the image on the machine and tell what direction it is pointing.  The image you are looking at is a letter "C."  You push the appropriate button in the direction the letter opening is facing (up, down, right, left on the A/B/X/Y pad).  As you go through the test the image will get dimmer and dimmer.  Then it will start over in a different color.  you do red, green, blue.  Then, switch the patch onto the other eye and do it again.  This test is timed.  You get 4 seconds per iteration.
  10. Skynet Robot Eye Scanning Machine...
    1. I don't know what this is called but i'm pretty sure I have a serial number on my eyeballs now.
    2. you look into a machine...it looks like a red laser pointer being shot right into your eye.  then a green "star" appears with a dot in the middle.  Focus on the dot while they do their science experiments
  11. Lens Topography
    1. Again, bright lights in the eye balls while they do science.  This one makes you feel like you are in the movie clockwork orange, or tron.  They are measuring the curvature of your lens and the thickness.  I was told I had a thicker than normal lens...I got worried...he said it was cool...it's better to be over than under for that one.
  12. Psych Battery
    1. This is the 4 hour computer testing where you are answering all sorts of "do you hear voices in your head" kind of questions.  What I didn't read about this test from this thread before taking it was the other stuff that wasn't as silly.  There were lot of "mind games."  It was fun at times.  For example...we will show you a sequence of numbers...you must type that sequence of numbers back to us in reverse order...my trick...don't memorize the numbers...memorize the keyboard sequence....worked for me...okay right, right, up 2, left 1 down 1...
    2. Other things to help you prep for this...practice mental math.  This is timed, so practice techniques for adding/subtracting/dividing/multiplying numbers with 2,3,4 digits.  no scratch paper, pens, or calculators.
    3. short term memory stuff.  You will read a story...then do other tests...then answer questions about that story an hour later.
    4. I think the best thing you can do to prepare for this testing battery is downloading some mental exercise apps like lumosity, peak, or elevate.  These are little games, that are fun and sometimes similar to what you might see here.  like "click this button when you see a certain letter, or type of word.  sequences of shapes, blah blah blah"

Day 2 Activities

  1. Labs
    1. Pee and Bleed...
    2. all you can do to prep is read the welcome letter instructions about staying hydrated before and throughout the testing.  I found myself not drinking nearly enough water on day 1...everyone thought we were going to pee and bleed that day and I was ready to go then...but group 2 went on day 1.  Dont fall behind on water intake and don't drink alcohol 72 hours before or during the physical days.
  2. X-Ray
    1. you stand against something...make a funny pose...they take pictures...sounds like a cruel joke right?
    2. I asked if I could have a copy of my x-ray (my dad's a chiropractor so I always share x-rays with him for fun), and all I had to do was ask the front desk for a release of information form and she gave me a CD with my images...pretty cool.  (i'll post them if I can)(also for fun)
  3. Flight Doc interview
    1. the flight doc goes over your records up to that point, asks some more questions, makes you touch yourself while he watches....touch your nose...(get your mind out of the gutter)...and balance on one foot.
    2. if you are going to go to IFS, he initiated a FAA class 3 physical for me since I didnt already have one.
  4. Height/Weight
    1. some guys in my group did this the first day.  they kind of fit it in wherever.  No big deal unless you are super huge or super small
  5. Optometry
    1. they will do another eye exam.  more looking at and reading charts, follow the light, look up, look down, look through this crazy machine...ok lets dilate those babies
    2. then you wait for your eyes to whack out like a crack head.  you have to wait an hour.
    3. I was seen at 1hr 20 min. and then more looking into super bright lights, and reading charts etc.
    4. Here I discovered I have a slight far sightedness...even though I don't require glasses.  The doc said, I may need a waiver, but he couldn't tell until after he dilated me.  Even if I did need it, he assured me that it wasn't a show stopper, they would just process the paperwork like it was no big deal.  After he gave my eyeballs a thorough look over...he said he was comfortable with my numbers and wouldn't need to push a waiver through.

As stated before...attitude is everything.  Enjoy your time there.  Don't make your techs hate their job that day because of you.  Help other people get through the process, carpool, see the museum (if you can even see after dilation), and be a good sport overall.  Another thing, don't worry about it as much as I did.  Prepare...but don't fret.  Go there, do the best you can at things you can prepare for, and understand that everyone there wants to see you succeed.  It is very evident when you are there that they are on your side.

I hope this helps everyone out.  I'm hoping to get the good news in a couple weeks along with my other partners in crime that I shared those halls with.

Thank you to @stuckindayton, @GDAL, and @FlyArmy for your input and the information you provided in this forum to help me and all the other hopefuls out there.

p.s.....sorry for the long post

@JustHangingOut post is spot on from my recent visit. The team there was excellent and attitude is everything. Enjoy your time there and get to know the techs/doctors. They want to see you pass and will do everything they can to help you pass; I was one of these people. Unfortunately, there were a large number of people whom were DQed for crazy things that they didn’t even know they had, but the team did everything they could to find a way around it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Hopefulflyer389 said:

@JustHangingOut post is spot on from my recent visit. The team there was excellent and attitude is everything. Enjoy your time there and get to know the techs/doctors. They want to see you pass and will do everything they can to help you pass; I was one of these people. Unfortunately, there were a large number of people whom were DQed for crazy things that they didn’t even know they had, but the team did everything they could to find a way around it. 

Gland I could help out

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Question: MEPS told me I needed a waiver for a non-major surgery I had when I was an infant. I submitted for a waiver and the SG's office replied with something like (paraphrased) "willing to approve waiver if applicant completes FC1". So I completed my FC1 Aug 6-8 this year and when I was there I passed everything and the flight doc didn't seem to care at all about my surgery and he didn't think I needed a waiver. So, does an FC1 take precedence over/supersede the MEPS physical? I'm curious to see if the waiver will be carried through and attached to my FC1, or just dropped altogether based on the flight doc's opinion. Thanks for any insight!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/13/2018 at 8:39 AM, TX dude said:

Question: MEPS told me I needed a waiver for a non-major surgery I had when I was an infant. I submitted for a waiver and the SG's office replied with something like (paraphrased) "willing to approve waiver if applicant completes FC1". So I completed my FC1 Aug 6-8 this year and when I was there I passed everything and the flight doc didn't seem to care at all about my surgery and he didn't think I needed a waiver. So, does an FC1 take precedence over/supersede the MEPS physical? I'm curious to see if the waiver will be carried through and attached to my FC1, or just dropped altogether based on the flight doc's opinion. Thanks for any insight!

I think the FCI docs will take precedence.  Lots of weird stuff happens at MEPS that doesn't always make sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am a civilian OTS select that is currently scheduled for my physical later this month. I have read through this thread but I'm still not exactly clear on the difference between the FC I and MFS. From what I can gather, I will complete the FC I this month and complete the MFS after OTS - is that plausible?

My FCI is scheduled at Wright-Patt which I think is adding to some of the confusion. My recruiter has told me I'm scheduled for a Thursday, which I haven't seen anyone else mention. I don't doubt that my recruiter knows what he's doing, I just haven't seen anyone else say that they were scheduled to start on anything but a Monday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Brant24 said:

I am a civilian OTS select that is currently scheduled for my physical later this month. I have read through this thread but I'm still not exactly clear on the difference between the FC I and MFS. From what I can gather, I will complete the FC I this month and complete the MFS after OTS - is that plausible?

My FCI is scheduled at Wright-Patt which I think is adding to some of the confusion. My recruiter has told me I'm scheduled for a Thursday, which I haven't seen anyone else mention. I don't doubt that my recruiter knows what he's doing, I just haven't seen anyone else say that they were scheduled to start on anything but a Monday.

Some people get their IFC I done at a location other than Wright-Patt.  If so, you come to Wright-Patt for the MFS only portion later.  If you are an OTS select the IFC I is typically done before OTS and the MFS is done after.  The more traditional route, especially for ROTC and ANG/AFRES, is to come to Wright-Patt for the IFC I and MFS to be done simultaneously.  If you are scheduled for IFC I at Wright-Patt you are almost certainly scheduled on a Monday or Tuesday.  MFS only are usually scheduled on Wednesdays and sometimes on Thursdays.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/10/2018 at 10:48 AM, stuckindayton said:

Some people get their IFC I done at a location other than Wright-Patt.  If so, you come to Wright-Patt for the MFS only portion later.  If you are an OTS select the IFC I is typically done before OTS and the MFS is done after.  The more traditional route, especially for ROTC and ANG/AFRES, is to come to Wright-Patt for the IFC I and MFS to be done simultaneously.  If you are scheduled for IFC I at Wright-Patt you are almost certainly scheduled on a Monday or Tuesday.  MFS only are usually scheduled on Wednesdays and sometimes on Thursdays.

Great answer, thank you. 

My recruiter has been using the term "flight physical" which seems nebulous and is causing most of the confusion on my end. I looked at the paperwork I was sent and it's titled "Initial Flight Physical Patient Instructions" so to me seems that I am scheduled for the IFC I, which would appear to be standard procedure.

I double checked the date and the email from my recruiter definitely says a Thursday, but maybe I'll reach out to him to double check.

 

Thanks again for the help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×